Linear WAPIRZ-1 Motion sensor on my porch false alarms every few minutes. Any advice?

I have a new Linear WAPIRZ-1 motion detector setup on my front porch. It’s in a covered entry way protected from the elements. I’m finding that this thing seems to trigger motion detection every few minutes. At first I thought I may have a defective sensor but In reading the installation manual, this sensor will trigger motion with as little as a 1* rapid change in temperature which I think could be the source of my issue. A little bit of wind for example could cause a slight temperature change that could trigger the motion sensor.

From the instructions:
“The PIR uses the SENSOR_MULTILEVEL_V4 command class to report to the Z-Wave Hub a change in the ambient temperature of 1 degree. Every rise or drop of 1 degree will trigger a notification to the Hub. It is up to the Hub and how the consumer programs it to determine actions based on these notifications.”
http://www.nortekcontrol.com/pdf/manuals/WAPIRZ_install.pdf

I’m trying to use this sensor to turn on the porch lights if somebody is walking up to the front door. Obviously a motion sense every few minutes is an issue. Has anybody had similar issus with this sensor or other PIR sensors and figured out a workaround? I have the same sensor in my garage and that seems to be working fine but the garage is a much more protected enviornment. Is there anything is the Vera settings that I can change that may help with that? I’m running a Vera Edge (UI7).

If not, is there a better sensor I should consider for my front door motion that is fine being used under cover outdoors?

Below is a screen shot of the motion sensor logs for the last hour or so…

did you get any success with your Sensor?

I have bought 2 of my own, not fully installed yet and are anxious to find out how it when.

my reason to select those sensors was due to the fact that they also report temperatures (I want to monitor a room temperature via my smartphone). but for some unknown reason when I did my inclusion, only the motion sensor (not the temperature part) appeared. am I missing something?

maybe this is where the problem lies; do they actually report the actual temperature (67f 70f etc…) or only a change of temperature, in the later case, I presume it reports it as a simple activity (either movement or temperature) and does not make the distinction between the two. if this is the case then this piece of gear is useless.

as for my side, this would also explain my problem of missing an inclusion data.

keep posted please if you find anything.

[quote=“Crickett027, post:2, topic:187262”]did you get any success with your Sensor?

I have bought 2 of my own, not fully installed yet and are anxious to find out how it when.

my reason to select those sensors was due to the fact that they also report temperatures (I want to monitor a room temperature via my smartphone). but for some unknown reason when I did my inclusion, only the motion sensor (not the temperature part) appeared. am I missing something?

maybe this is where the problem lies; do they actually report the actual temperature (67f 70f etc…) or only a change of temperature, in the later case, I presume it reports it as a simple activity (either movement or temperature) and does not make the distinction between the two. if this is the case then this piece of gear is useless.

as for my side, this would also explain my problem of missing an inclusion data.

keep posted please if you find anything.[/quote]

I don’t think they report actual room temp and if they do, I haven’t seen it. From my understanding, they use slight temp changes to activate the motion detection. That was likely the source of my issue. A slight breeze would be enough to generate a temp change that would activate the motion sensor. I have one in the garage and it works fine but they garage door is always closed so it’s a much more controlled environment than the front porch. Last week I ended up swapping the Linear sensor for an Ecolink PIRZWAVE2 and that seemed to solve my problem. My front motion sensor is now stable and not false alarming every few minutes.

Right,

Well I will try to get in contact with the Linear, to find out if the Temperature fonction can be deactivated. if not then, I will have to change Sensor as well. what a pitty.

will keep you inform.

Well i have tried to contact Linear, but they didn’t bother to answer.

I looked around some more and i found that link that might be the solution to all this. but i have not had any success what that addon yet in getting it to work. maybe you will have more luck with it.

they claim the following: That it will create a child under your motion sensor. You will then have a separate temperature display. Here is the link, http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/IDoorContact

Crickett

[quote=“Crickett027, post:5, topic:187262”]Well i have tried to contact Linear, but they didn’t bother to answer.

I looked around some more and i found that link that might be the solution to all this. but i have not had any success what that addon yet in getting it to work. maybe you will have more luck with it.

they claim the following: That it will create a child under your motion sensor. You will then have a separate temperature display. Here is the link, http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/IDoorContact

Crickett[/quote]

That’s an interesting app although Im not sure it would have solved the issue. I Interestingly, I have the same model Linear motion sensor in my garage and it works fine there. I would have figured that it was just a bad sensor but in searching on the issue, it seems it was really common with that particular sensor. Like you, I had trouble reaching Linear but I did eventually reach a tech there who essentially confirmed that slight rapid temp changes will trigger the sensor.

I solved the problem by replacing that sensor with an Ecolink Z -Wave motion sensor. After doing some research, it seemed that the Ecolinks don’t activate off of temp changes like the Linear one does. Now my front lights turn on when somebody walks up to the door at night and turn off a minute later like I had planned instead of turning on and off every few minutes like it was with the Linear.