Led under cabinet lighting

looking for suggestions for LED under cabinet lighting.
I’ve seen whites, and RGB, which appear to be only red green or blue.
are there any than that do multiple colors? and not just one or the other?
i’d like something dimmmable, and some way to control it with zwave if possible.
I want the strips and not pucks.
also any thoughts on lighting up the toe kick areas? if you’ve done it, do you find it pleasing? or could have done without it after the fact?
thanks

[quote=“mvader, post:1, topic:196547”]looking for suggestions for LED under cabinet lighting.
I’ve seen whites, and RGB, which appear to be only red green or blue.
are there any than that do multiple colors? and not just one or the other?
i’d like something dimmmable, and some way to control it with zwave if possible.
I want the strips and not pucks.
also any thoughts on lighting up the toe kick areas? if you’ve done it, do you find it pleasing? or could have done without it after the fact?
thanks[/quote]

RGBW strips I use are Mi lights. Search EBAY. There is a plugin (limitless or something) that controls them. I put them into a z-wave on/off switch but the problem is you cant dim the 120v side. So local control is limited to on/off switch or a remote or a tablet/phone for z-wave.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-Wireless-Mi-Light-RF-Remote-4-zone-WiFi-RGBW-WW-CW-RGB-LED-Strip-Controller-/252621542650?var=&hash=item3ad16ad4fa:m:mx78awxsNCc-elqpdzbMl6w

You need a wifi hub (plugin connects threw the IP of that wifi hub) you need a RGBW strip controller (which wifi back to the wifi hub and wires into the RGBW strip) and a remote is optional. You also need a power strip to power how ever many feet you have and a RGBW strip.

RGBW is RGB colors what fade threw the hole rainbow not only 3 colors and W is the white. So there is 4 different color LEDs on the strip but either only white will be on or a mix of the other 3 will be on to make the color of your choice.

Or use Fibaro RGBW controller. I use this to control under eaves lighting using RGBW tape available in 5m lengths. This is direct z-wave controlled (no plug in). Kitchen worktop and kickstrip lighting just as easy. (Kickstrip lighting is well worth it if you can run it).
If you want wall switch control, consider using a Sunricher controller where your light switch would be (but keep an isolator available in circuit for maintenance). These are available as multi zone in case you want to split lighting control across ceiling worktop and kickstrip.

fantastic… thanks for the info guys.
I’ll get to researching, those suggestions.

Just keep an eye on total load of the LED tape to ensure you do not exceed the available output.

I used Lithonia LED under cabinet units. Mix of 12", 18", and 24". Dimmable, swivel, linkable, direct wire. No transformers. Used GE dimmers with them. Completely hidden by cabinet valence. Got them from Bee’s lighting.

How do you change color on them?

I don’t think you can. I too just did LED under-cabinet lighting, and I also prefer more traditional fixtures, that are white only.

I went with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G6OGG2O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and use a GE/Jasco dimming switch…

Kind of why I asked since the OP asked about multi colored options, and I assumed his option was not.

does anyone know if the fibaro switch supports digital LED strips?
i was doing some research and found there is analog and digital led strips.

[quote=“mvader, post:10, topic:196547”]does anyone know if the fibaro switch supports digital LED strips?
i was doing some research and found there is analog and digital led strips.[/quote]

No, it doesn’t.

I have been using the Magic Home-app enabled Wifi bulbs with good success. I wrote the Magic Home Wifi bulb/RGBW controller plug-in using the Magic UFO RGBW LED-Strip controller as my test bed. Now that we’ve recently moved, I’ll be setting this up in the kitchen using these products as well. Take a look at them too, mvader. There’s a few other LED controllers that use their interface as well - and at under $20 per controller, it’s a decent price.

thanks for the heads up ceefin.
I recently picked up a nodemcu and a ws2812b strip. I’m playing with that setup on my testbed.
I like it because i change things via URL and it’s much cheaper than fibario zwave device.
I’m not yet sold on this setup, i am also looking into those cheaper controllers, i found one for $7 on alibaba with wifi, an app… etc.
so still in the works…

ceefin,
I am trying to use your MagicHome plugin on my under-cabinet lighting with only a small amount of success.
My setup is this: MagicHome 5V SPI RGB controllers and the MagicHome iPhone app. The app is great.
I also have had a Vera+ for about 5 years.
My goal is to have my wife be able to use a Aeon Minimote remote to just turn them on & off. I will use the i-app when I am home.
The problem: I’m not a programmer, but I can understand a lot of it. I don’t know what changes I need to make for a 3-wire RGB (or in this case GBR) system or where I need to make them. I can get it to work at times, but I mostly get a “LUA startup failure”.
Can you help?

@Bari

I have one of those MagicHome WiFi controllers connected to a RGB strip.

Using the MagicHome plugin for Vera I entered the WiFi controllers IP address and Port number and also its MAC address under Advanced.

And under Control I changed it to “RGBW Strip”

Some times after rebooting Vera the MagicHome plugin loses its connection to the WiFi controller, but it eventually reconnects.

Thanks for the reply. I have done all that without a stable result. Even if I get it working, it crashes as soon as I try to create a scene. I want to put 5 of these in and will need to build 10 scenes. I’ve only been able to find one 5V controller so far, everything is stuck in China due to Covid.

I also noticed you get the same display as I. The button is OFF and the slide is at 98.

What are you trying to setup in your scene?

I have scenes for changing the MagicHome WiFi controller to particular colours.

Looks like I used some Lua code for example this changes the RGB values to Blue.

luup.call_action("urn:ceefin-mcvforum-com:serviceId:MagicHomeRGBW1","SetRGBW", { newRGBW = "0,0,255,0"}, 296)

As for your crashing you need to look in the Vera log and find more details of what’s going on.

http://Vera-IP/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP

Personally I would not use these MagicHome WiFi controllers, yes they are cheap but they are junk.

On my other RGBW LED strips I either use Fibaro RGBW modules (Z-Wave) or Dresden FLS-PP controllers (Zigbee ZLL) which work on my Philips Hue Bridge and I am using the AltHue plugin for Vera.

Assume thats a bug in the plugin. When you press the off button it does turn the strip off, despite the brightness slider still being at 98%

Thanks for the info, I’ve decided to give up on Vera for this use. Too hard to get it working and no real support other than people like you. Thank you.
Bari