LED Christmas tree lights

Ok so we got some new LED Christmas tree lights and of course I had to add them to my zwave network… I knew a normal light module would probably have issues with the lights so I sprung for a Leviton 15A plug in appliance module (RZP15). I included it into Vera and everything seemed great with the lights on. However, when I shut the module off… The lights blink for a split second every 5 seconds or so. Why would this be? Is the module still supplying some power to the outlet? Is there some residual power left in the module? Can I do anything to fix it or is there another plug in module anyone can recommend that will work?

???

I have the same isssue with all my leviton appliance modules, it allows enough power to bleed through when turned off to (for example) light the “power on” led on a portable heater. Ironically my cheaper intermatic appliance modules work fine and dont exhibit this.

they load sensing? Maybe the load sensor tries to send some current every few seconds to see if the circuit is open or closed?

I know the intermatics dont load sense.

Try a small load in parallel, say a 60W bulb (or less) the LED lights take so little power that there may be some bleed across the switch, a ballast load (maybe even a low energy bulb) will help take the volts down.

Nick

@B0SST0N,
I have a bunch of the Monster ML-LAS1000, which I believe are an OEM of the Leviton Appliance Module you’re using. I just tested mine using a Lamp with one of the Utilitech LED Light bulb (7.5W) and it’s switching fine with no residuals.

I can definitely hear the positive “click” of the internal relay inside.

How new is your wiring and/or is there a possibility the Socket is wired incorrectly in any manner?

PS: Was looking for a picture of what I have, and looks like Amazon has them for $20ea, seems like a bargain (no affiliation, etc)
Amazon.com

Guessed,

Thanks for the link. I may have to pick a couple of these up.

• Garrett

Interesting, I use a 15 year old X-10 lamp module with my LED XMas tree and see a similar effect, except in my case the LED’s don’t flash on every 5 seconds- they just stay lit at say 10% illumination permanently. My tree came with one of those foot operated switches that’s in a very convenient spot- so I now use that to turn the tree LEDs on and off.

You might also try these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004REW1BG/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/190-7830838-7095357?tag=vglnk-c122-20

Not 100 percent sure it will work though.

Are you sure you are using a true relay type module.
some are known to have leakage! Look at the specs. If it requires a min load then you will have issue.

[quote=“garrettwp, post:6, topic:169661”]Guessed,

Thanks for the link. I may have to pick a couple of these up.

• Garrett[/quote]

I just bought one of these and one of the dimmers (ML LD300) and automatically got a discount of 5% for buying 2 pieces. Not a huge discount, but its better then nothing.

[quote=“nickrwym, post:4, topic:169661”]Try a small load in parallel, say a 60W bulb (or less) the LED lights take so little power that there may be some bleed across the switch, a ballast load (maybe even a low energy bulb) will help take the volts down.

Nick[/quote]

I’m using a small 6 watt incandescent night light to provide that minimal load.

Vera2 (1.1.1245, UI4); ACT ZRW113W; GE/Jasco 45600, 45602, 45604, 45605 x3, 45606 x4, 45609 x11, 45614; Hawking HRDS1 x3; Intermatic CA9000 x2; Schlage BE369GR, WCE100; Trane TZEMT400AB32MAA