Keeping lights on...

[quote=“johnes, post:19, topic:185489”]8.c states:

“When motion is detected, a message is sent to the Nexia Bridge and the Sensor remains in an active state until no further motion occurs for a period of 4 minutes. Any motion detected before 4 minutes will cause the timer to reset for another 4 minutes. (Motion reset time may be changed for test purposes. See Maintenance for more information.”

• Jumper on both pins of the TEST connector for five second motion reset time

ibrewster seems to say that I should only be getting one fire, whre the manual suggests that any motion will cause the timer to reset (the example says 4 mins, but I have the jumper set to 5 seconds. I would set it to the 4 mins setting, but I have lights that I want to turn off if no motion in 30 - 45 seconds. 4 minutes would be overkill.[/quote]
The manual says “Any motional cause the TIMER to RESET for another 4 minutes” NOT “Any motion will cause a message to be sent to the Nexia Bridge”. So basically, from the quote that you presented, your sensor works as follows:

1. When motion is first detected, a signal is sent and an internal timer is started at 4 minutes
  2. When additional motion is detected, the internal timer is reset (nothing else - i.e. no motion detected signal)
  3. After no motion for 4 minutes, the sensor goes into an inactive state (which should, I believe, signal the controller)
  4. Any additional motion after that will send another “motion detected” signal.
  5. The 4 minute interval can be reduced to 5 seconds by putting a jumper across the TEST pins, but as Richard said, this will reduce battery life, and as the name of the jumper indicates, is intended for TEST purposes

So in your case, you can either have a 4 minute off timer for the light, or you can leave the unit in test mode (with the caveat that it will kill battery life) and set a timer when it goes inactive. When the timer expires, shut of the light. If motion is detected again before the timer fires, cancel the timer.

When people try and say battery devices are better and think the only down side is replacing a battery… I’ll link them here.

1.) As for battery life… I’ve got about 40 of these motion sensors… started in August, so 7 months. All running on the 5 second test jumper, all of them at 98% of higher battery life… so battery life doesn’t seem to be the issue.

Now, the thing I am quoting here… how would I set that up? I already have a timer that gets set when motion is detected (hallway say 15 seconds, a room maybe 15 minutes). How would I implement “If motion is detected again before the timer fires, cancel the timer.”

I looked at what is going on and it seems to me that, from looking at the vera interface:

• Motion tripped
  • Light turns on
  • Motion not detected (as I stand still)
  • I start to move
  • Motion detected again
  • Light turns off.

It seems that vera sees motion again, but that it doesn’t trigger the keep light on event. That seems to be what you guys are saying but if vera sees the motion being tripped again, then this should work.

IN PLEG … you define the Schedule used as a timer with a start type of:

“Self ReTrigger”

Then when the motion event happens again it calls the PLEG Action StartTimer (Done from the Advanced tab in the Actions editor) … which restarts the timer from the beginning.