Jumping to Vera 2, I guess...

I had been screwing myself up to do this at some before summer ended anyway, but given my V1 dongle’s new weird behavior, I think the day will be tomorrow. I have a modest pile of devices–about 20, I’d guess, currently paired to my V1 dongle. Since I can neither get the dongle into include or exclude mode, nor does Vera seem to able to drive those modes when the dongle is plugged in, I am resigned to just starting over.

So I will plug in my V2 later today, charge its battery pack, and get ready. Presumably, the best way to go about this, since I am starting from scratch, will be to let the V2 upgrade all the way to 1.1.1338, and then use it to exclude all of my devices and then start building anew.

What do I have to do to get 3.2 Z-wave firmware? This is easy, right, especially if I do it before I start building my new house of cards?

–Richard

Richard, of your vera2 is “empty” so, no zwave devices and empty database, the upgrade to 1338 should automatically take you to 3.20 and start you with a fresh database.

If not, which I doubt, you can simply tick the 3.20 box in the zwave device options BEFORE you start in/excluding anything.

Also, I recently wrote a how to on upgrading the dongle firmware. You can find it in the appropriate section on the wiki, maybe that will solve your issue before going to V2?!?

Hope that helps!

• Henk

[quote=“rlmalisz, post:1, topic:168945”]I had been screwing myself up to do this at some before summer ended anyway, but given my V1 dongle’s new weird behavior, I think the day will be tomorrow. I have a modest pile of devices–about 20, I’d guess, currently paired to my V1 dongle. Since I can neither get the dongle into include or exclude mode, nor does Vera seem to able to drive those modes when the dongle is plugged in, I am resigned to just starting over.

So I will plug in my V2 later today, charge its battery pack, and get ready. Presumably, the best way to go about this, since I am starting from scratch, will be to let the V2 upgrade all the way to 1.1.1338, and then use it to exclude all of my devices and then start building anew.

What do I have to do to get 3.2 Z-wave firmware? This is easy, right, especially if I do it before I start building my new house of cards?

–Richard[/quote]

You hadn’t included your V2 as secondary into your V1 network, by any chance, right?

[...]let the V2 upgrade all the way to 1.1.1338, and then use it to exclude all of my devices and then start building anew. What do I have to do to get 3.2 Z-wave firmware?
After the upgrade of your V2 is done, I'd check [tt]Z-Wave device > Options[/tt] to verify you're showing the following:

[tt]Version 3.20 L:1
House/Node
Role Master SIS:NO PRI:YES
[/tt]
Then proceed to exclude and include a device near your V2 through the GUI, to see if everything is kosher (i.e. no funny stuff in the status window when excluding/including).

[quote=“Henk, post:2, topic:168945”]Richard, of your vera2 is “empty” so, no zwave devices and empty database, the upgrade to 1338 should automatically take you to 3.20 and start you with a fresh database.

If not, which I doubt, you can simply tick the 3.20 box in the zwave device options BEFORE you start in/excluding anything.

Also, I recently wrote a how to on upgrading the dongle firmware. You can find it in the appropriate section on the wiki, maybe that will solve your issue before going to V2?!?

Hope that helps!

• Henk[/quote]

I am pretty sure I am at the latest greatest dongle firmware Aeon Labs is offering. Are you suggesting I just reinstall it over the top of the same version, to see if that settles things back down?

I see references all the time to restoring dongle backups. How is that done?

–Richard

–Richard

You hadn’t included your V2 as secondary into your V1 network, by any chance, right?

[...]let the V2 upgrade all the way to 1.1.1338, and then use it to exclude all of my devices and then start building anew. What do I have to do to get 3.2 Z-wave firmware?
After the upgrade of your V2 is done, I'd check [tt]Z-Wave device > Options[/tt] to verify you're showing the following:

[tt]Version 3.20 L:1
House/Node
Role Master SIS:NO PRI:YES
[/tt]
Then proceed to exclude and include a device near your V2 through the GUI, to see if everything is kosher (i.e. no funny stuff in the status window when excluding/including).[/quote]

The V2 has just seen its first power-on, so no, there’s nothing about it that might/should have tweaked the V1. However, I am seeing that I have gone from “SIS: NO PRI: YES” to both being no. Just noticed that. Sigh.

–Richard

Richard, keep trying the “shift controller” option…
eventually that wil work!

• Henk

On your V1. Interesting. That explains the not being able to include/exclude. I’d contact MCV Support to see if they can make your V1 primary again.

Richard,

Part of that is explained here:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Clone_Dongle

• Henk

[quote=“rlmalisz, post:4, topic:168945”][quote=“Henk, post:2, topic:168945”]Richard, of your vera2 is “empty” so, no zwave devices and empty database, the upgrade to 1338 should automatically take you to 3.20 and start you with a fresh database.

Hope that helps!

• Henk[/quote]

I am pretty sure I am at the latest greatest dongle firmware Aeon Labs is offering. Are you suggesting I just reinstall it over the top of the same version, to see if that settles things back down?

I see references all the time to restoring dongle backups. How is that done?

–Richard

–Richard[/quote]

[quote=“Henk, post:6, topic:168945”]Richard, keep trying the “shift controller” option…
eventually that wil work!

• Henk[/quote]

If you’re talking about the “controller shift” “go” button under “z-wave device” advanced tab, clicking that “go” always gets me “Command failed: not primary controller”.

–Richard

@rlmalisz,

There is more thing you can try.
On the back of the Aeon dongle is a small hole. Insert a paperclip through it to press the inner reset switch. You wont lose any data that’s on the dongle but it may free it up to get it working again.

JOD.

[quote=“JOD, post:10, topic:168945”]@rlmalisz,

There is more thing you can try.
On the back of the Aeon dongle is a small hole. Insert a paperclip through it to press the inner reset switch. You wont lose any data that’s on the dongle but it may free it up to get it working again.

JOD.[/quote]

Thanks. I tried that, no soap, but it was a simple thing to do.

Once I figure out how to do excludes with V2, I’ll start moving the troops over. Linda is in a photo class today, and it’s too darned hot out to do any more yard work. So today gets to be migration day.

–Richard

So I have everything moved over to the V2, except for one pesky Leviton dimmer that doesn’t seem to be doing exclusion the way all the rest did. Once I got far enough along, I did a “network reset” on the V1, and the dongle now shows PRI:YES SUC:YES. So that is usable again, and who knows–it may get used!

–Richard

Richard,

That is great news!
You might find this link usefull?
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Vera2_with_zwave_usbdongle

Good luck with the last Leviton (my advice, do a “factory reset” by the book, as described in the manual)!

• Henk

[quote=“rlmalisz, post:12, topic:168945”]So I have everything moved over to the V2, except for one pesky Leviton dimmer that doesn’t seem to be doing exclusion the way all the rest did. Once I got far enough along, I did a “network reset” on the V1, and the dongle now shows PRI:YES SUC:YES. So that is usable again, and who knows–it may get used!

–Richard[/quote]

[quote=“Henk, post:13, topic:168945”]Richard,

That is great news!
You might find this link usefull?
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Vera2_with_zwave_usbdongle

Good luck with the last Leviton (my advice, do a “factory reset” by the book, as described in the manual)!

• Henk[/quote]

Since we went through the effort to shift over, I’m fine with using the built-in Z-wave chip. I’m not in love with the “carry the battery and Vera around” bit, but so far, it works.

And yes, I finally wound up doing the Leviton factory reset. May get to go one more round with this guy. It acted like it had paired, but Vera is having trouble talking to it. And it has a neighbor (Honeywell 'stat) about six feet away that shows 20 neighbors. And it was working with the old Vera before the stat went in. But heck, I’m getting close.

–Richard