Interesting new H/A controller...Epiphany

Will run on any computer or a dedicated box. I like the idea but want to see how it plays out before I jump on board.

http://www.epiphanycontrol.com/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/503006959/epiphany-home-automation-system?ref=category

Looks interesting and possibly very powerful.
Looks like they aren’t going to make their kickstarter goal however.
Since it is software though I’m sure it won’t just disappear.

I think micasaverde will launch a new version of vera soon.
in a new case and color option :slight_smile:
and with a powerfull UI

They are starting a beta test.
Those who want to join can go to their website and there is a beta testing thing in the top right corner of the page.

http://www.epiphanycontrol.com/

But is this from micasaverde ?

No, completely different company.

• Garrett

if invest in a box, better use something is some time arround already.
like indigo doing home automation since 10 Years now.

[quote=“nullx8, post:7, topic:174363”]if invest in a box, better use something is some time around already.
like indigo doing home automation since 10 Years now.

Indigo is much more mature and looks tons better than Vera.
I considered it ~2 years ago (when I got my Vera) but they lacked Zwave support… until very recently. Also, it is only for Macs so it is very limiting. I’d likely have done it if it was Linux. Though, you could get a mac mini and all the adapters for insteon, zwave, etc. Total cost would be decent but not stellar.

interesting. there’s an unsupported plugin that allows you to use a vera for the zwave.

[quote=“Aaron, post:8, topic:174363”]Indigo is much more mature and looks tons better than Vera.
I considered it ~2 years ago (when I got my Vera) but they lacked Zwave support… until very recently. Also, it is only for Macs so it is very limiting. I’d likely have done it if it was Linux. Though, you could get a mac mini and all the adapters for insteon, zwave, etc. Total cost would be decent but not stellar.[/quote]

I’ve been watching Indigo and I am a Mac user but it doesn’t support Z-Wave locks yet so I’m afraid it’s not mature enough for my needs.

Indigo would be one expensive controller if the mac wasn’t used for anything else.

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:11, topic:174363”]Indigo would be one expensive controller if the mac wasn’t used for anything else.

• Garrett[/quote]
    Maybe, but if you add up the cost of the constant need to upgrade Vera hardware (I’ve had to replace 3 in 4ys), and the total upfront, and ongoing, manhours spent keeping it functional, I’d say it might even be a cheaper solution overall… even lower when you already have a Mac Mini running permanently. 8)

I’ve started substituting the components of my system that won’t work with a generic OpenZWave-based system. For the most part, that’s just locks, so my Kwikset is being replaced with a WiFi/BT lock in a month or so.

This will allow me to move to a number of systems, OpenZWave based or not. Indigo is high on the list along with a custom RaspPi solution.

I’ll have to see how Ephiphany turns out, it has a lot of potential as well… if it can be realized within a reasonable timeframe.

[quote=“guessed, post:12, topic:174363”][quote=“garrettwp, post:11, topic:174363”]Indigo would be one expensive controller if the mac wasn’t used for anything else.

• Garrett[/quote]
    Maybe, but if you add up the cost of the constant need to upgrade Vera hardware (I’ve had to replace 3 in 4ys), and the total upfront, and ongoing, manhours spent keeping it functional, I’d say it might even be a cheaper solution overall… even lower when you already have a Mac Mini running permanently. 8)[/quote]

absolutly …
i had indigo running on a 11 years old iMac … like a charm …
can pick them up for 20-30 bucks :wink:
so money is not really the issue. Macs are build to last with no worries.

So how do you do zwave and the others if the Mac doesn’t have the hardware to speak to those devices? Am I missing something somewhere? Sorry of this is a silly question.

It’s called a zwave usb stick.

• Garrett