Insteon + Vera, have a question about living in a condo building

Hi everyone,

I’ve got Vera and Z-Wave (seven devices) working great in my condo. However, I’m wanting to add Insteon to my network to control my ceiling fans (one currently, adding two more) as the Z-Wave controllers are too expensive for my taste. In my condo within my building, I have my own circuit breaker panel. I’m wondering if there will be any “cross-talk” (for lack of a better term) with other units in my building? (I can’t be certain that there are not other Insteon networks within other peoples’ condos) I assume not since I have my own breaker, but I would like to confirm with you experts before putting the time and effort in setting up Insteon.

Thanks!
Dave

Of course, right after I post this, I find the article I’m looking for. Here’s a quote from it: “every INSTEON device has its own unique ID, so neighbors and would-be hackers can’t control your home”

So, in essence, I have nothing to worry about? 8)

It will be fine.

The bigger issue with powerline communication, such as Insteon and HomePlug, is signal propagation over a long distance. For instance a signal from a switch might need to follow the wire to a panel in the basement and then back up another wire to the PLM. This might create a distances that is too far for effective communication. You will not suffer this issue, since you have a panel in your own unit.

Interference from adjacent condo units is unlikely.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:3, topic:179979”]It will be fine.

The bigger issue with powerline communication, such as Insteon and HomePlug, is signal propagation over a long distance. For instance a signal from a switch might need to follow the wire to a panel in the basement and then back up another wire to the PLM. This might create a distances that is too far for effective communication. You will not suffer this issue, since you have a panel in your own unit.

Interference from adjacent condo units is unlikely.[/quote]
Great news, thank you!

Also, since the PLM will only return to software the Insteon IDs for the devices it knows about. Your neighbors won’t be able to determine your Insteon IDs and control your devices from their PLM, and you can’t control their devices.

That’s why you either need to use the Set buttons to link, or know the IDs to before electronic linking.

However, all devices (even ones not in your Insteon network) will repeat commands. So if your neighbor has Insteon devices, it could help with signal propagation. Then again, if the networks are rather large, it could get flooded (unlikely, I believe).