Insteon support in U17

Hays the built-in Instead support changed or gotten any better in the new UI?

I only tried it out briefly before reverting back to UI5/altsteon. It’s definitely not a lot better. But it does seem a bit more responsive and two-way communication works better. I only have SwitchLincs, DimmerLincs and FanLincs. The FanLincs still don’t work with the built-in support.

So should I take it that Altsteon doesn’t work with UI7? I have a FanLinc that I am currently controlling using Altsteon with UI5, and was thinking about updating to UI7, but if the FanLinc doesn’t work with the built-in insteon support, and altsteon doesn’t work with UI7, then that is a deal breaker.

Altsteon worked fine with UI7, but GUI parts still look a bit like UI5.

Altsteon does not work for me on Veralite with UI7 at all. I tried for days to get it to work with no luck. Works fine on UI5 to the point I can factory reset and have it back up in 2 minutes. Gave up UI7.

Alston works without issue for me in ui7 but I wonder if I need it, a bit fearful about using built in support for insteon but going to give it a try

No issues at all w/ Alsteon on UI7 - except that the dashboard always reports the PLM as non-responsive. A minor annoyance, but would be nice if it didnt happen.

So Insteon support is still total garbage in UI7, but since Alsteon has been abandoned by the original developer it sees risky to me to keep it or get any other Insteon devices. I decided to abandon all my Insteon devices and stick with Zwave devices. They seem more reliable, and my system has become more stable since I removed Alsteon. Strange thing though is I can’t seem to be able to delete the json and other files used to support the Alsteon devices.

[quote=“bmrgato, post:8, topic:183718”]So Insteon support is still total garbage in UI7, but since Alsteon has been abandoned by the original developer it sees risky to me to keep it or get any other Insteon devices. I decided to abandon all my Insteon devices and stick with Zwave devices. They seem more reliable, and my system has become more stable since I removed Alsteon. Strange thing though is I can’t seem to be able to delete the json and other files used to support the Alsteon devices.[/quote]You could always use the ISY plugin. :slight_smile:

I haven’t heard of it before, can you tell me more? I enjoy tinkering…

Altsteon developer here, we have not abandoned the project, it is still alive and working. There are no issues with UI7 for us devs, so nothing has really changed. I have seen a fork was created to attempt to fix issues some people were seeing, hopefully we can get those merged back in.

Interesting timing on your reply. I just pre-ordered a VeraPlus (upgrading from a lite on which I have been using Altsteon), and was wondering if there was any chance of being able to use Altsteon with it to control my Insteon FanLincs. My searching didn’t find anything recent, and half the links point to a dead webpage, so I was afraid the project might have been dead. Good to know it’s not :slight_smile:

I’m confused. If the project is still alive, could someone point us to the link? Seems like geektaco.info is down, so where is the project hosted?

Well, you can get the project files from Altsteon download | SourceForge.net I think the confusion arrises from the fact that it was last updated in mid 2013, even though some things (most notably for me FanLinc support in UI7) are broken. There is also Altsteon 2.0 download | SourceForge.net, which is a branch of the project that fixes the FanLinc support at least. Between the two of them, I was able to get it running on my VeraLite UI7 without issue, and it seems to work as well as anything else (although adding devices is still clunky).