Instant status no longer working with Leviton dimmer

I’m not sure what happened but my Leviton VRMX1-1LZ switch no longer updates its status to the controller. When I first got the switch it was working fine with instant status. I started changing some scenes around and it just stopped updating its status at all. The light still functions fine directly from the switch or when triggered from the controller or a scene, however it won’t tell Vera that its on or off unless its polled. I specifically bought this switch for the instant status function which worked fine when I first got it. The only changed I’ve made have been scene changes. I want the dimmer to trigger a scene when I press it which is why I need the instant status function working. Any thoughts on what to try or check for?

Double check your scene logic. You may not have it configured the way you think you do.

Try setting up a new scene triggered by the switch and see if that works.

Watch the log file and make certain that Vera is indeed not seeing the switch’s update.

Power cycle the switch at the breaker.

Exclude(resetting to factory default) and include the switch.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:2, topic:192628”]Double check your scene logic. You may not have it configured the way you think you do.

Try setting up a new scene triggered by the switch and see if that works.

Watch the log file and make certain that Vera is indeed not seeing the switch’s update.

Power cycle the switch at the breaker.

Exclude(resetting to factory default) and include the switch.[/quote]

Sorry for the delay in response. This has turned out to be a much stranger troubleshooting process than I originally expected.

So first off - killing the power at the breaker did nothing.
Secondly, I know the scenes are working correctly cause when I trigger them manually from the dashboard they do exactly what I want them to do. All I’m doing is adding the dimmer as a trigger.

The issue is that the Leviton dimmer no longer reports it’s status to the controller so I have to wait until the next polling cycle (up to 60 seconds) before the controller queries the dimmer and updates the status to “ON” which THEN triggers the scene and does what I want.

So here’s what I’ve found out. Unpairing and pairing the device fixes the instant status issue. As soon as the device is re-added I get instant status updates and I can make my scenes work like magic and everyone is happy.

HOWEVER, as soon as I give my Enerwave 7 button scene controller the task of turning off my Leviton dimmer via a scene, it immediately breaks the instant status function of the dimmer and the only way to get it back is to unpair and pair the dimmer again. I tried this numerous times and every time the dimmer would work fine, until it was part of a scene controlled by my Enerwave scene controller.

I don’t know what the correlation is. I tried to make separate scenes for each device, but my scene controller needs to be able to turn off the dimmer and as soon as I program that into a scene, I lose my status updates.

I haven’t tried to unpair/pair the scene controller yet but that’s the next step. Though I don’t know what to try beyond that.

I do not know the exact details … but I believe that the Leviton uses the assoc group to report instant status back to the controller that included it.

When you add the Leviton switch as a device controlled by another scene controller (i.e. the Enerwave) the Leviton is now in the assoc group with with the Enerwave … and can no longer report instant status back to Vera.

This is also why Leviton does not report instant status when you do a controller shift to transfer from a Vera Lite or Vera 3 to a Vera Plus or Vera Edge.

Richard is exactly right. The secondary scene controller is “stealing” the status updates. You’ll need to manually re-add an association to Vera.

It’s almost spooky how these issues pop up in groups. Here’s a post about the same basic issue with another brand of switch just a few hours after yours…

Try manually setting an association with 255 and see if that resolves your issue.

So I changed the association (or at least I think I did) and I swear that it worked ONCE. Then as soon as I started touching stuff it immediately broke again and I’m back where things left off with no instant status updates.

See attached for what I changed. I’m somewhat of a noob on this stuff so just want to make sure I did it right. I changed this on the dimmer device under Device Options.

I have three or four different models of Leviton switches, a couple of them dimmers. Not a single one of them has a Group configured and they report instant status correctly.

One thing that I do see is in the Advanced, Variables section of the device. There’s a variable called AssociationNum and it’s set to “1”.

If you read the thread you will see that this is an issue when you connect a Leviton device to a scene controller other than the Vera that included it.

My guess is that the leviton doesn’t support group 255 (it is wierd that it is show a 1.255 endpoint), you probably have to use group 1 instead.
Be very careful when adding a removing the groups and associations go slow, it is possible for the Vera and the Switch to get out of the sync because the Vera is essentially sending a program to the switch, and can’t query it later what it did, the Vera is just remembering what it last did, not what actually happened on the Switch. So it may say you have an association when you don’t, or you may end up with an association that Vera doesn’t seem to know about.

I have read the thread and I understand there is a second controller in play. Trying to offer information on how it would look WITHOUT the second controller so that the OP can compare to what it looks like in his both before and after he associates / uses the second controller.

Well I never was able to find a solution to this problem, but I did however find a workaround which I consider good enough. Rather than having my scene controller trigger my dimmer switch directly, I created a dummy scene which runs LuuP code to trigger ANOTHER scene which does the dimming for me. By breaking apart the scenes and not giving the scene controller direct control over my dimmer switch, I’m able to keep my instant status and all my scenes are working as I would like (with the exception of one logic puzzle which I’m still trying to figure out, but it’s unrelated).

So moral of the story is:
Scene controller controlling dimmer = NO INSTANT STATUS
Scene controller controlling scene which triggers other scene to control dimmer = INSTANT STATUS HAPPINESS!