Installing OpenWRT packages and warranties

Sorry for all these new user questions, but inquisitive minds want to know :slight_smile:

I’m all too familiar with the Vera Lite running on top of OpenWRT as I’ve dabbled a lot with a Seagate Dockstar and an old NSLU2 which also ran OpenWRT. But both of those are cheap enough to be considered disposable, unlike my VL, which I’ve only just bought.

I ssh-ed into my VL and was greeted with

[font=courier] ---------------------------------------------------
*** MiOS LTD. ( www.mios.com ) ***

*** WARNING : ***
*** Any changes made to the system without ***
*** guidance from MiOS support will VOID ***
*** your future Support requests ***
---------------------------------------------------[/font]

Which to me insists I should not try to add OpenWRT packages, as it may invalidate any support I would need in the future.

What I would like to do is install owserver on it, so I can investigate writing a plug in to retrieve temperatures from my one wire network and import them in the VL UI. The one wire dongle (and sensors) are attached to a PC and by installing owserver, I can let VL query the one wire network as if the USB dongle is plugged in physically into the VL.

There is no reason why I could not plug in the one wire dongle directly into the VL, other than that I may need to relocate the VL at a later stage which would move it no where near the one wire network.

Q.

[quote=“Quinten, post:1, topic:170550”]Sorry for all these new user questions, but inquisitive minds want to know :slight_smile:

What I would like to do is install owserver on it, so I can investigate writing a plug in to retrieve temperatures from my one wire network and import them in the VL UI. The one wire dongle (and sensors) are attached to a PC and by installing owserver, I can let VL query the one wire network as if the USB dongle is plugged in physically into the VL.

There is no reason why I could not plug in the one wire dongle directly into the VL, other than that I may need to relocate the VL at a later stage which would move it no where near the one wire network.

Q.[/quote]

There is a plug-in that supports the OW device set. I have never used it but it might support what you want to do without having to add OpenWRT packages.

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_ow-server

I did see those, but they rely on a OW-SERVER ethernet device which I do not have. Although I don’t exactly know how the OW-SERVER presents itself to any clients (it may be as if it was an owserver, in which case it would work straight away).

I’ll have to investigate the code for the plugin before I can sensibly comment on that.

In the mean time, I did find a way to install some openwrt binaries in a different location and I was able to test owserver remotely, without resorting to a proper install

The warning is to protect MCV and to maybe scare off people who do not know what they are doing. With any product, you are faced with the same warning. If anything MCV has been very good to the developer community when it comes to tinkering. I have not heard of MCV turning away a user because they messed with the underlaying of Vera. They made access open for a reason. : )

• Garrett

p.s. well to the community.

Thanks, that puts my mind at rest.

I had a look at the OW-SERVER plugin, but that relies on a wget of an xml page on the OW-SERVER, which although contains elements of the one wire data, is nothing like polling the one wire network using the dongle. I’ll have to decide what’s the best way of ‘plug-in-ise’ it and then I’ll be back with even more questions :smiley: