iBeacon and iPhone User Please Respond

I have also read the rumors, think it’s possible but highly unlikely that Crapple’s will start supporting something they passed on for at least 2 years now. But then again a bigger small screen is coming and LTE was slow to come out. Flash… ehhhh

Just bought a couple of Jaalee iBeacons for ?13 each and they seem to work fine :slight_smile:

Can you give us info on where you purchased these from? Thanks,

eBay UK - just search for:

iBeacon Bluetooth Low Energy BLE 4.0 Proximity Device

:slight_smile:

@jpete7683

I have purchased an “April Brothers” 202 iBeacon from eBay and it seems to be working / talking with iViri. I was able to add the UUID of the iBeacon to iViri, tie it to a Vera MultiSwitch, and have a scene triggered to turn on a light based on the multiswitch.

Everything is working and all that, but I do have some questions?

1. How should I calibrate the distance? Meaning to configure an “entry” / “exit” distance, should I configure in iViri or in the iBeacon config util?
  2. I keep getting a series of push messages from iViri, something like “Switch: 154”, “Switch: 155”… etc. What does it mean?

At the end, I want to configure the proper “entry” / “exit” distance, and then be able to “turn on” a light on “entry”, and then “turn off” a light on “exit”. What is the way to do it?

Thanks!

[quote=“jeff3lo, post:25, topic:180850”]@jpete7683

I have purchased an “April Brothers” 202 iBeacon from eBay and it seems to be working / talking with iViri. I was able to add the UUID of the iBeacon to iViri, tie it to a Vera MultiSwitch, and have a scene triggered to turn on a light based on the multiswitch.

Everything is working and all that, but I do have some questions?

1. How should I calibrate the distance? Meaning to configure an “entry” / “exit” distance, should I configure in iViri or in the iBeacon config util?
  2. I keep getting a series of push messages from iViri, something like “Switch: 154”, “Switch: 155”… etc. What does it mean?

At the end, I want to configure the proper “entry” / “exit” distance, and then be able to “turn on” a light on “entry”, and then “turn off” a light on “exit”. What is the way to do it?

Thanks![/quote]

Glad to hear you have your initial setup working. The distance is setup on the beacon itself. Because these are just little radios it is very hard for a programmer to know when and how close you are to it, especially since apple just gives your different responses like immediate, near, far, etc… Talk with the provider of your ibeacon, they should have an app that allows you to control distance and interval rate of the advertising. This is why I went with estimotes, because their app controlled all of this for me. Your push notifications can be turned off in the iViri settings under your iphone settings just scroll down to iViri and turn off your location services notifications. It should like you are doing it right, just have PLEG evaluate the status of your multi-switch when it turns on meaning you entered the beacons distance turn on the light and when it turns off meaning you exited the beacons range turn off the light. Note that apple waits 20 seconds after out of range of a beacon before sending iViri the exitedRegion call back so your exits take longer than your entrances but that is fine in my mind and even if I didn’t like it there is nothing I can do for it.

jpete7683! I have just bought two SticknFind. One is to track our cat but I bought the other to try geofencing with iViri. GPS geofencing seems a bit slow here in the country.

However I can’t understand where to find the UUID and other info on the device? You said you had used SticknFind? Mind explaining how (I have never used an iBeacon before)?

[quote=“n0ir, post:27, topic:180850”]jpete7683! I have just bought two SticknFind. One is to track our cat but I bought the other to try geofencing with iViri. GPS geofencing seems a bit slow here in the country.

However I can’t understand where to find the UUID and other info on the device? You said you had used SticknFind? Mind explaining how (I have never used an iBeacon before)?[/quote]

By default the SticknFind doesn’t support ibeacon, so you need to enable it. Download the app SNFBeacon (BeaconMaker) on your iDevice and when you are near your SticknFind device you will see it reporting its ranges, go ahead and select it and enable ibeacon and setup the UUID (Might need to google a valid one) and setup your advertising interval to at least 100 at the greatest as that rate or lower works best with ibeacon technology.