I want to hit a button that activates a scene

I would like to have a button in the front hall that I can hit to lock all the doors and turn the lights off. How would I go about doing this? I have seen some scene controllers that appear to mount in a wall like a light switch but am unclear as to how they work. It would be nice if there were multiple buttons I could hit to trigger other scenes as well such as away and home but they aren’t necessary.

I’m sure other people must be doing this. How are people accomplishing it?

[quote=“S-F, post:1, topic:168451”]I would like to have a button in the front hall that I can hit to lock all the doors and turn the lights off. How would I go about doing this? I have seen some scene controllers that appear to mount in a wall like a light switch but am unclear as to how they work. It would be nice if there were multiple buttons I could hit to trigger other scenes as well such as away and home but they aren’t necessary.

I’m sure other people must be doing this. How are people accomplishing it?[/quote]

You could consider using a battery operated wallswitch.
Its more or less an ON/OFF switch that you can group devices you want to switch to.
You wouldnt even need a scene in that set up…

Add more switched to control different groups…

Just a bit of warning concerning your door lock scenario. Be careful with that part of your scene. The locks are battery powered and do not update immediately like the hard-wired switches do. So it might be a bit before your doors lock if they are indeed unlocked at the time you fire the scene. And if there is some other glitch/delay/unknown, your locks may stay unlocked while you’ve thought you’ve secured the house.

The door locks are special devices built with security in mind, so even if they are battery powered, they update the status on Vera as soon as this changes. So as long as the batteries are fully charged and there aren’t any interferences or range issues between Vera and the door locks, you should be able to see the status changing on the Dashboard immediately, like you can see it for the light switches.

The UI not withstanding, my comments had to do with the actual operation of the scene. If any of those “glitches” were to take place the door would stay unlocked. Unless you’re checking the UI every time remotely after you leave the premise, you’d never know.

If your system has many devices you may experience a slight delay with the door locks. I have found myself standing by the door for up to 20 seconds waiting to hear the “click” of the door latch lock then testing the latch before leaving. I have found a way around that. I have 48 devices including 5 door locks. When I used one scene to turn off all lights, lock the doors, arm the alarm system, arm motion sensors… it can take time to do all this. I have since created independent scenes, one for turning off all lights another to arm all sensors and one for door locks. My exit scene has Luup code that calls the door lock scene first then the arm sensors and last the lights off scene. This way you can dictate what devices get priority. I’m still testing this but so far it has solved my timing issue.

I don’t have that kind of confidence to allow any system, Vera or not, to have control of my locks, set/disarm my alarms, or control my fireplace.

Maybe I’m “old fashioned”.

Try it I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. I find the reliability of Vera very good. When there is a problem most of the time its because I didn’t fully test my coding or I’m testing something new. Just remember that you can always check up on the current status if your the paranoid type.

Edit:

ballroller

I was thinking of your comment about “old fashioned” and not trusting “systems” then I started to think of all the things in your day that are controlled by “systems”. How about your car, probably is “drive-by-wire” no mechanical steering, brakes or accelerator. I would assume you don’t drive or step in an elevator LOL ;D

Well it’s not a problem for me as I have only 1 lock and the controller I got to activate the scene will be right next to it. Really it doesn’t matter too much. I always left my door unlocked until I got the Schlage Z-Wave lock. Now I have it set up to lock nightly. If for some reason it didn’t lock the chances of a home invasion are pretty slim. And if someone did try to break in they would be surprised when the house retaliated in a mechanical fashion. I have Vera for fun but I also boobie trap the house for fun.

S-F

To answer your initial question I am using a wall mounted scene controller for my exit scene, a Leviton RZCS4 to be exact. This controller gives me 4 scenes to work with, one being my exit scene (my exit scene also calls other scenes depending if it day or night). There is no mechanical control over any light just scene activation.

For your interest I also programmed a door code in my Schlage door locks that that also triggers the exit scene. This way if I’m already outside I just enter the door code without needing to enter the house. If you don’t want to buy and install a wall mounted scene controller you can use this option.

[quote=“JimMac, post:10, topic:168451”]S-F

To answer your initial question I am using a wall mounted scene controller for my exit scene, a Leviton RZCS4 to be exact. This controller gives me 4 scenes to work with, one being my exit scene (my exit scene also calls other scenes depending if it day or night). There is no mechanical control over any light just scene activation.

For your interest I also programmed a door code in my Schlage door locks that that also triggers the exit scene. This way if I’m already outside I just enter the door code without needing to enter the house. If you don’t want to buy and install a wall mounted scene controller you can use this option.[/quote]

But if you enter a valid pin doesn’t it unlock the door? Maybe I’m missing something there.
And I bought one of the Leviton Scene controllers on the recent Monster sale for about $20 I believe so I’ll be using that. My intention isn’t to just shut down the house when leaving. I don’t have an alarm system. I mostly want it for going to bed. I’ll have a scene that locks the door, turns off the lights and turns on the light next to my bed.

Ever the cheap skate, I also bought one of these Monster/Leviton controllers. I’ve now got to decide what to sacrifice in order to fit it, or expand an existing switch location :slight_smile:

But if you enter a valid pin doesn’t it unlock the door? Maybe I’m missing something there.
And I bought one of the Leviton Scene controllers on the recent Monster sale for about $20 I believe so I’ll be using that. My intention isn’t to just shut down the house when leaving. I don’t have an alarm system. I mostly want it for going to bed. I’ll have a scene that locks the door, turns off the lights and turns on the light next to my bed.
[/quote]

yes it would unlock but would relock shortly and would also run any scene commands associated with that code (including locking same lock or others), I use this method with good reliability

So you create a new pin that activates a scene which locks the door amongst other things? You need to remember a second pin that way. Personally I don’t see this as an option when you can just mount a scene controller right inside the door you can hit when leaving. Maybe if it didn’t unlock the door first. That just seems like a hack and an unnecessary step. I guess it wouldn’t be so bad if you were leaving and closing a door which was already unlocked.

One of my rentals does not have a scene controller at the front door so to run the exit scene I just enter 0000 in the door keypad. I don’t need to turn the handle or anything other than the code. In your exit scene just add the door lock code number to one of the events.

But if anyone enters 0000 the door will unlock for a moment before the scene activates and relocks it… correct? Sounds a little dangerous.

Am I still missing something?

Or, the scene doesn’t complete (as my Schlage is currently doing), and the door doesn’t lock at all. In my case, the scene fires on random occasions-maybe once every 4 or 5 tries. It’s controlling lights so it’s not a huge deal (although I would like it to work every time).

You have a lot more confidence than me that everything will work perfectly each and every time and secure your premises.

But if anyone enters 0000 the door will unlock for a moment before the scene activates and relocks it… correct? Sounds a little dangerous.

Am I still missing something?[/quote]
That is correct, for this reason i dont use an overly simple code for lockup, re: reliability mine have been very good but not perfect, what has been 100% reliable is using a light turned on as an indicator of success, I have never once had the scene fail if the associated light turned on so I know right away if I had a failure

Notice that I only use this simple code to lock, not unlock. If someone presses 0000 the house just goes through the lock procedure again, since it is already locked down nothing is changed. You can tell if the scene has activated by the flashing green Schlage button on the door lock. I have never had any Schlage issues and it hasn’t failed me yet.

If you are more skeptical wait to hear the lock click before waling away or stick to a indoor scene controller.

Edit: The door does NOT unlock if it is already locked. I also have codes that turn on lights and open my garage door.

No you can’t. All that green light says is that the code you put in was accepted. It does not mean that the signal was sent or if it was received, nor does it mean that everything went according to plan.