I give up

So… there will now be two team members working part time???

There hasn’t been a problem with user to development team communications… You can’t have a problem with something that doesn’t exist…

The communication problem is between customer care and users… Users talk to customer care… Customer care almost always says “we are aware of the issue and it will be fixed in a future firmware update”… And that’s the last anyone ever hears about the issue from Mios…

Sounds like the start of a pay for support system or a monthly fee…

So… Mios was acquired by eZLO… Does that include the 25% that was acquired by Linear last year?? Or is there now two steering forces behind Mios?

[quote=“zedrally, post:71, topic:199599”]Incidentally, coming to this forum and giving yourself 100+ karma reeks pure elitism.
Karma is something that is earned over time not given to you over a 8 hour period.[/quote]

Actually… It’s worse than that…

The user was created, posted a cryptic response in a random thread… then logs off… Total elapsed time - 3 minutes 22 seconds… The account, “Melih” is a user account, not marked as an administrator (although, as mentioned, it is a special account), and make absolutely no statement regarding the acquisition… Then, the only account that is currently known to be associated with Mios, “Sorin”, posts a welcome message… Exactly two words… No announcement… No explaination… No nothing…

Great start to a new era of better communications.

Yes, and as of 7:40 PDT today there were no announcements on either companies webpages.

wow…what a tough crowd!

I think a better starting point is: Please tell us all the problems you are facing. Lets get it all out in the open so that we can start addressing them one by one.

Its day one of our acquisition, we believe in this company and we want to do good by its users.

Are you really surprised that we are a “tough crowd” after years of being treated like alpha testers… When you are treated like a mushroom, everything looks like ****…

Well… Why don’t you start with… A FORMAL ANNOUNCEMENT… (and I don’t mean a link to the PR announcement)

Who are you?
Who do you work for?
What is your position?
What is happening with Mios?
What are the plans for Mios?

Why are you starting out in the forum by hiding behind a semi-anonymous username?

[quote=“melih, post:76, topic:199599”]I think a better starting point is: Please tell us all the problems you are facing. Lets get it all out in the open so that we can start addressing them one by one.

Its day one of our acquisition, we believe in this company and we want to do good by its users.[/quote]

Well, you could read this thread before posting.

But I will give you cliff notes:
There is no bug tracking system or you could have just read that.
There is no feature request system or you could have just read that.
I suspect that customer care ticket system isn’t categorized or you could have pulled metrics.
The current OS has memory leaks in poor performance and system failures.
Despite being a “fully local” controller, it has multiple services that always call home. Some of those tasks are very CPU intensive.
If those services fail to call home, the backlog grows, consuming disk and CPU resources until the machine bogs down.
The luup engine that does most of the work is delicate and it’s not uncommon for the engine to fail multiple times a day. Or even multiple times an hour. See issues above.
Luup restarts can take more than a minute to complete.
Automations fail during luup restarts and as most variables are wiped, many scenes fail to start when part of the trigger condition data is lost.
The device management system is prone to getting “ghost” devices that cannot be cleared without a restore or firmware upgrade
Zwave network management is something of a wreck as the system will often flag devices as unreachable that may or may not work just fine.
Enrollment/disenrollment requires a luup restart (see above) for each device.
Device enrollment is too dependent on recognizing a particular product/model rather than using zwave capabilities. As a result, new devices often don’t have the correct capabilities configured.
Logging is much harder to use or access than it should be.
Firmware upgrades are untrustworthy as they often cause more harm than good.
Production firmware releases often include code not seen in the beta releases.
Firmware releases often include so many language packs that devices run out of space and brick during upgrades.
Most of the best features are from user-developers but firmwares often cause issues with apps.
ZigBee is more or less a nonexistent feature
Bluetooth is a nonexistent feature

Geez, I am depressed just writing that.

Btw, I own a Vera3 and a vera plus. Neither is plugged in because see above.

I’ve a sneaking feeling this acquisition is purely for the customer base. I maybe wrong here but reading between the lines and the negative press on the forum the new owners may well be having a rethink on the whole Vera hardware/software and where it lies in the whole home automation world.

Maybe we could be seeing an end to the current crop of Vera controllers and possibly the Luup environment. Who knows at this stage. As the man said its just Day 1 of a new dawn.

[quote=“peterxbmc, post:79, topic:199599”]I’ve a sneaking feeling this acquisition is purely for the customer base. I maybe wrong here but reading between the lines and the negative press on the forum the new owners may well be having a rethink on the whole Vera hardware/software and where it lies in the whole home automation world.

Maybe we could be seeing an end to the current crop of Vera controllers and possibly the Luup environment. Who knows at this stage. As the man said its just Day 1 of a new dawn.[/quote]

You are wrong.
Vera has a great Cloud platform. The controller needs tuning I agree. Ezlo has amazing controller. Joining forces of these two development team created literally the biggest development team in Home Automation! So now we will use Cloud platform that Vera has, improve the controller, add brand new super fast, super stable, super cost effective controllers, create an ecosystem where anyone can write their own custom home automation product and sell it in our app store. These are our plans. We are not only joining forces of both development teams but expanding them as well!

[quote=“kigmatzomat, post:78, topic:199599”][quote=“melih, post:76, topic:199599”]I think a better starting point is: Please tell us all the problems you are facing. Lets get it all out in the open so that we can start addressing them one by one.

Its day one of our acquisition, we believe in this company and we want to do good by its users.[/quote]

Well, you could read this thread before posting.

But I will give you cliff notes:
There is no bug tracking system or you could have just read that.
There is no feature request system or you could have just read that.
I suspect that customer care ticket system isn’t categorized or you could have pulled metrics.
The current OS has memory leaks in poor performance and system failures.
Despite being a “fully local” controller, it has multiple services that always call home. Some of those tasks are very CPU intensive.
If those services fail to call home, the backlog grows, consuming disk and CPU resources until the machine bogs down.
The luup engine that does most of the work is delicate and it’s not uncommon for the engine to fail multiple times a day. Or even multiple times an hour. See issues above.
Luup restarts can take more than a minute to complete.
Automations fail during luup restarts and as most variables are wiped, many scenes fail to start when part of the trigger condition data is lost.
The device management system is prone to getting “ghost” devices that cannot be cleared without a restore or firmware upgrade
Zwave network management is something of a wreck as the system will often flag devices as unreachable that may or may not work just fine.
Enrollment/disenrollment requires a luup restart (see above) for each device.
Device enrollment is too dependent on recognizing a particular product/model rather than using zwave capabilities. As a result, new devices often don’t have the correct capabilities configured.
Logging is much harder to use or access than it should be.
Firmware upgrades are untrustworthy as they often cause more harm than good.
Production firmware releases often include code not seen in the beta releases.
Firmware releases often include so many language packs that devices run out of space and brick during upgrades.
Most of the best features are from user-developers but firmwares often cause issues with apps.
ZigBee is more or less a nonexistent feature
Bluetooth is a nonexistent feature

Geez, I am depressed just writing that.

Btw, I own a Vera3 and a vera plus. Neither is plugged in because see above.[/quote]

now I am depressed too :frowning:
Now I will use this list to start building a department that can take all these and get it resolved and report back to you…
Please do keep it coming …

Are you really surprised that we are a “tough crowd” after years of being treated like alpha testers… When you are treated like a mushroom, everything looks like ****…

Well… Why don’t you start with… A FORMAL ANNOUNCEMENT… (and I don’t mean a link to the PR announcement)

Who are you?
Who do you work for?
What is your position?
What is happening with Mios?
What are the plans for Mios?

Why are you starting out in the forum by hiding behind a semi-anonymous username?[/quote]

I tried to answer as much as I can in this thread http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,102841.msg412403.html#msg412403 .
Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

“Why are you starting out in the forum by hiding behind a semi-anonymous username?”
:slight_smile: just type “melih” in Google…its NOT a “semi”…try www.melih.com …and so on…

I am here to try to make things good for you guys! I am on your side! Your happiness is the only way I get return on my investment!

[quote=“melih, post:80, topic:199599”][quote=“peterxbmc, post:79, topic:199599”]I’ve a sneaking feeling this acquisition is purely for the customer base. I maybe wrong here but reading between the lines and the negative press on the forum the new owners may well be having a rethink on the whole Vera hardware/software and where it lies in the whole home automation world.

Maybe we could be seeing an end to the current crop of Vera controllers and possibly the Luup environment. Who knows at this stage. As the man said its just Day 1 of a new dawn.[/quote]

You are wrong.
Vera has a great Cloud platform. The controller needs tuning I agree. Ezlo has amazing controller. Joining forces of these two development team created literally the biggest development team in Home Automation! So now we will use Cloud platform that Vera has, improve the controller, add brand new super fast, super stable, super cost effective controllers, create an ecosystem where anyone can write their own custom home automation product and sell it in our app store. These are our plans. We are not only joining forces of both development teams but expanding them as well![/quote]

That’s sounds promising so. You do have a large mountain to climb to achieve your goals. A lot of long standing customers with a lot of time and energy invested into Vera will hold you to that promise. Clearly many of them have been let down badly.

Remember it costs a lot more to attract a new customer than it does to maintain a current one.

[quote=“peterxbmc, post:83, topic:199599”][quote=“melih, post:80, topic:199599”][quote=“peterxbmc, post:79, topic:199599”]I’ve a sneaking feeling this acquisition is purely for the customer base. I maybe wrong here but reading between the lines and the negative press on the forum the new owners may well be having a rethink on the whole Vera hardware/software and where it lies in the whole home automation world.

You are wrong.
Vera has a great Cloud platform. The controller needs tuning I agree. Ezlo has amazing controller. Joining forces of these two development team created literally the biggest development team in Home Automation! So now we will use Cloud platform that Vera has, improve the controller, add brand new super fast, super stable, super cost effective controllers, create an ecosystem where anyone can write their own custom home automation product and sell it in our app store. These are our plans. We are not only joining forces of both development teams but expanding them as well![/quote]

That’s sounds promising so. You do have a large mountain to climb to achieve your goals. A lot of long standing customers with a lot of time and energy invested into Vera will hold you to that promise. Clearly many of them have been let down badly.

Remember it costs a lot more to attract a new customer than it does to maintain a current one.[/quote]

Accountability is only expected and we welcome it.

Hello Melih…I hope you can lead us out of the wilderness.

My biggest frustration with Vera? I have to “walk back” or “dumb down” my controller to achieve stability denying myself promised/advertised features.

Fix it and you are my hero.

That is all.

Keep your head down. Always move forward. I’ll see you on the beach.

(yes…owning a vera is the home automation equivalent of being told your going on a beach holiday only to learn you are really participating in a amphibious landing under enemy fire…)

Melih,
So I have to ask…

What does eZLO buyout of Mios have to do with Vera? Micasaverde is just one company using Mios (actually Vera Control, Ltd) So indirectly you can improve Vera buy improving Mios but I think the implementation on top of MIOS is still in someone else’s hands. So the crappy (outdated) UI7 will still be crappy. Unless I am missing something here… or reading information online that may be old…

It looks like a bunch of other companies also use MIOS like honeywell, actiontec, behome247, trick tv… the list goes on. So I don’t think micasaverde and vera are unique here.

So can you help clarify what involvement eZLO with actually have in the complete Vera package? Just MIOS improvements or everything Vera?

[quote=“Inzax, post:85, topic:199599”]Hello Melih…I hope you can lead us out of the wilderness.

My biggest frustration with Vera? I have to “walk back” or “dumb down” my controller to achieve stability denying myself promised/advertised features.

Fix it and you are my hero.

That is all.

Keep your head down. Always move forward. I’ll see you on the beach.

(yes…owning a vera is the home automation equivalent of being told your going on a beach holiday only to learn you are really participating in a amphibious landing under enemy fire…)[/quote]

Been on that beach myself! I too had my very first Vera…
We are identifying the problems. The main thing is Vera did not have enough developers and resources to create a more agile capability to respond to the needs. We are bringing the resources (doubled the development overnight by joining forces, of course it will take time for the teams to gel together etc). We are also bringing all the processes to get everything moving smoothly. Things should just work!. Of course sometimes we have to live with the shortcomings of the protocols we use, for example: something that happens in the zwave protocol is assumed to be our problem etc, but we have no problem taking that responsibility and elevating it to the people who are in charge of the zwave protocol.

I am hell-bent :slight_smile: in making sure there is an amazing home automation platform so that everyone can create a home automation product! In 2018 we should be able to easily automate our homes at minimal cost without going to this vendor, or that vendor and be an engineer to get things working!

So my journey is to build the platform (not just the product) so that the whole industry can use this platform to provide an amazing home automation capabilities to their users that simply work and very cost effective!

@Inzax: please pm with exact issues you are having. We are now collating all the issues so that we can create a development roadmap and push it to dev teams for solutions. thanks.

[quote=“randya, post:86, topic:199599”]Melih,
So I have to ask…

What does eZLO buyout of Mios have to do with Vera? Micasaverde is just one company using Mios (actually Vera Control, Ltd) So indirectly you can improve Vera buy improving Mios but I think the implementation on top of MIOS is still in someone else’s hands. So the crappy (outdated) UI7 will still be crappy. Unless I am missing something here… or reading information online that may be old…

It looks like a bunch of other companies also use MIOS like honeywell, actiontec, behome247, trick tv… the list goes on. So I don’t think micasaverde and vera are unique here.

So can you help clarify what involvement eZLO with actually have in the complete Vera package? Just MIOS improvements or everything Vera?[/quote]

We bought it all…Vera, Mios etc…So expect improvement in everything from the hardware controller to Cloud services to mobile apps to developer’s ecosystem…

developer's ecosystem...

Ah, interesting. Vera’s attitude to third-party developers, who, arguably have done much to keep users on this platform, has been, to say the least, frosty. Possibly actively obstructive.

Too early, perhaps, to have a strategy on developer collaboration?

Music, sweet music.

[quote=“akbooer, post:89, topic:199599”]

developer’s ecosystem…

Ah, interesting. Vera’s attitude to third-party developers, who, arguably have done much to keep users on this platform, has been, to say the least, frosty. Possibly actively obstructive.

Too early, perhaps, to have a strategy on developer collaboration?[/quote]

Our idea is that we want to be a “home automation platform” …so that every developer who wants to build a “home automation product” can go ahead and build it easily. We have so much capabilities we want to bring to developer’s ecosystem…i can’t wait!!! :slight_smile:

well, I got my RPi and it’s up and running hassos.
I added the vera as a controler and it discovered all my “stuff”
While the documentation is fairly clear, it also assumes a higher level of understanding of their code.
I’m having trouble creating from scratch the equivalent of a scene. I think if I had an example of HA/Vera code I could figure it out.
Mike can show ab example of your code with vera devices.
basicly as and example I’d like to turn on a light for 5 minutes after a door is opened and then off agaon and run this HA code along with the light coming on

so when door is opened
Kitchen_Door 1
Vera Device Id 65
binary_sensor.kitchen_door_1_65

turn on this light
Kit_Eat_Light_Dim
Vera Device Id 14
light.kit_eat_light_dim_14

run this code
shell_command:
playkitchenopen: curl “http://192.168.0.2/sound.php?file=fdo&volume=100

I’m looking on how to expose the scene code HA has imported from Vera.