HSM100 Setup

I’ve been trying to setup my 3 new HSM100 motion sensors, and couldn’t get them to perform the way I expected. Reading the forums, there are lots of snippets of information, but not much in the way of instructions start to finish. To make it more confusing, there isn’t much uniformity in the nomenclature being used. For instance, the Express Controls manual refers to “On-Time” referring to parameter 2, while the HSM Release Notes that came with the device refer to a notion called “motion timeout interval” which turns out to be the same thing. Then there is a field for Wakeup Interval, which is something completely different.
Really, all I wanted to do was turn the lights on in the room when motion was detected, but I found that while it might trigger initially, the lights wouldn’t stay on or did not re-trigger the scene I had created no matter how much hand waving in front of the motion sensor I did.
To make it more confusing, 4 devices get configured when installing the HSM100, a Combo Device, plus the Motion, Temp, and Light. But where do you make changes for Parameter 2 or the Wakeup Interval? On the Combo Device, or the Motion? And why are there 4 places to make changes to Wakeup Interval? Do I set them all or just the Combo? Can they or should they be different?
Anyway, after 3 days of fooling with this more than I wanted to, the following is offered in hopes that it will save the next person a little time.
1: Install the HSM100 per Vera’s instructions.
2: Hit the blue button on the side, and Vera will do an initial configuration. The light on the HSM100 is still blinking, and will be for 10 minutes, but Vera goes into a mode that says “waiting”.
3. Hit the blue button again, and Vera will configure the other 3 devices and they will appear in the interface.
4. Keep the Wakeup Interval at 1800, unless you need to get temp or light readings more often. But, don’t expect light or temp reading to show up any time soon no matter what you put into the Wakeup Interval, but eventually they showup.
6. Create an event to turn On a light when the sensor is “tripped = Yes” and set the Command to “Leave It”. Create another even to turn Off the light when the sensor is “tripped = No”. If you create an Event with one Command that is timed, expecting the HSM to reset it when it senses motion again, as I did, it will not work as expected.
8. The Tripped=Off is sent from the HSM100 after a period of time set by Parameter 2 once the HSM100 stops sensing motion.
It sort of all makes sense once you understand how it works. Just hoping this makes it a little easier for the next person.

Great!
Why wouldn’t you add this to Wiki?

Thanks … was just getting my HSM100 out of the box :slight_smile:

Thanks, I have been trying to figure out how to do that.

Thanks for your writeup on this zcaptain. I agree that this seems to warrant inclusion in the Wiki so that it can be easily found by future HSM100 owners looking for guidance.

I do have a question for you on this strategy however. It seems to me that if you allow the HSM100 to turn on AND off the scene/device based on it’s internal timer (as defined in parameter 2), that if you are going to have a situation where the lights turn on with motion, then off after your paramater 2 time is reached regardless of motion, and then back on if there is still motion…

Is this not the case? For many applications (say a front porch) this won’t be a big deal, but some applications (like mine) call for the sensor to monitor a often occupied room such as a family room.

I am using the strategy of having the tripped sensor trigger a timed scene which keeps lights on for 60 minutes (in my case), while the sensor’s paramater 2 setting is only 5 minutes. This works well for me as if there is motion in the room while the scene is still active (within 60 minutes), it re-triggers the scene, and effectively moves the window of time the scene will be active out again. In plain english my setup keeps the lights on in the room for 60 minutes past the last detected motion, give or take 5 minutes due to the paramater 2 setting.

You mention this method doesn’t work as expected, and actually… I agree. I’ve had to fiddle with the settings several times to get it to work how I want. For me the trick was setting paramater 2 to be a relatively short period of time when compared to the scene duration. Initially I tried to set the scene duration to 60 minutes and the HSM100’s paramater 2 to 30 minutes. This never worked for me, the sensor just stayed tripped even long after the 30 minute window, or even the 60 minute scene duration.

Anyway, thanks for contributing your experiences. If you can comment on the scenario of the lights going on off and then back on I think it would be helpful.

thanks

thanks to z and others I have my HSM100 toggling lights etc … but I now would like to arm/bypass … have a scene that is supposed to send an ARM command and another scene that is supposed to send a BYPASS command … the operative words are “supposed to” … any advice from the exoerienced ones on here ???

thanks in advance

Thank’s for info, but when i am following the procedure the hsm100 is displaying correct for within approx. one min, and then falls back to “generic IO”, but with 3 devices without the correct icon for lightlevel, temp etc.
Could this be a firmware thing, and if, does anybody know how to update the firmware?
Says ver. 6,2,40,1,6 in Vera and reg as Ryherd Ventures Express Controls 3-in-1. By the way, the wheel in vera is green and i get current temp. and battery indication.

Thank,s

@grybrd

Does the scene that sends ARM/BYPASS work (= is the motion sensor of your HSM100 in the correct state after execution of the scene)?

No: try Arming and Bypassing the motion sensor manually.

Works: Check your ARM/BYPASS scenes
Does not work: Send MCV a trouble ticket

Yes: Are you using the correct event (“An armed sensor is tripped” vs. “A sensor is tripped”)

No: Correct your scene that controls your light switch.
Yes: Send MCV a trouble ticket

@Ape15 … thanks for the response… I have tried your suggestions … was wondering if there was something I was missing … MCV has answered my ticket and we will be talking this afternoon.

I get the GENERIC IO as well and 3 devices labeled 1, 2, 3 respectively. Something is wrong. Ive tried removing it and re-adding it and waited 2 whole nights for it to “configure” - NADA…

Im using the latest UI4 Beta so Im wondering if that’s the issue or not. MCV, is the HSM100 broken in the latest UI4? I have one HSM100 that seems to work just fine, adding the second one I just bought is giving me a headache!

HI!
I bought 2 of these HSM100 units. I need all the help I can get to get them to work right. I believe I added them to Vera right, as I am showing 4 Devices (Combo, Motion, Light, And Temp). When it shows up under Device, do you show an Arm and bypass button next to your Device? How are the scenes set up to work the sensors?
I am trying to set up 2 Asante Voyager IP cameras (the camera Is set up and I see Pictures) and have a light come on for a pre determined amount of time, then go off when the system is in the armed state. I am trying to have the camera archive the pictures, but I do not know if this even works because MCV says they have to do something to the Vera.
Any info for setting this up would be greatly appreciated. I have only gone as far as adding the sensor under devices, and tried setting up a scene to arm the sensor and activate the light, and add a scene to bypass, but the bypass scene doesn’t appear to work, as the light cotinues to come on when the sensor is tripped and stays on for 5 minutes (that’s what I have it set to do). Does any value have to be changed in the HSM100 to change the light setting?

Myhomeserver- I have used the HSM100 both in UI3 and UI4 with the same result. I goes back to generic io with 3 censors below displaying 1,2 and 3. Icon also not displaying correct. Tried to removed them from network and reset several times without any luck.

My sensors appear to be working, but I set up 1 scene to arm and turn on light for 5 minutes. This appears ok, but scene for bypass doesn’t appear to do anything. Also, I was trying to have it so if armed, would archive pictures from camera, and if dark to turn on a light for a set amount of time, I don’t believe I will get this to work without setting up a program, and I am not familiar with LUA, (I’m lucky I got this far with this Vera).

Alrighty,

So I too have an HSM100 - and I can’t seem to get it work the way I want. I’m sure it’s me, not the sensor.

It is added to Vera (UI4) fine. I am getting temp and light sensors a plenty, and I can get it to turn on the lights in the room when is senses motion.

Here is where I am stuck;

I want it to use the light level to know whether or not to turn on the light. For example, it turns on the light regardless if it’s noon (and the room is full of sunlight) or midnight with no light. How can I make it use a certain light percentage reading from the sensor? So that the room has to only have 10% light, THEN the light comes on with motion?

Second challenge - I want the lights to go off after 10 minutes of no motion …

Any help would be GREAT - as I’ve been playing with this for a while and can’t seem to get it to work for me. ???

Search this forum for the great “AND” debate… Welcome to the frustrating world of “it just works”… I hope you have plenty of spare time! LOL :o

[quote=“MotoElement, post:14, topic:165964”]Alrighty,

So I too have an HSM100 - and I can’t seem to get it work the way I want. I’m sure it’s me, not the sensor.

It is added to Vera (UI4) fine. I am getting temp and light sensors a plenty, and I can get it to turn on the lights in the room when is senses motion.

Here is where I am stuck;

I want it to use the light level to know whether or not to turn on the light. For example, it turns on the light regardless if it’s noon (and the room is full of sunlight) or midnight with no light. How can I make it use a certain light percentage reading from the sensor? So that the room has to only have 10% light, THEN the light comes on with motion?

Second challenge - I want the lights to go off after 10 minutes of no motion …

Any help would be GREAT - as I’ve been playing with this for a while and can’t seem to get it to work for me. ???[/quote]

“Conditional expressions” are currently under development and MCV is shooting for a Sept/Oct release timeframe. This will give us some great flexibility for this kind of scene. Until then, you can set the device’s parameters to control the ambient light level at which the device will turn on your lights. You can also adjust motion sensitivity, reset timing, etc. You can find instructions here: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ExpressControls3in1