How to use veramate voice control?

[quote=“slief, post:20, topic:184622”][quote=“slief, post:19, topic:184622”]I just purchased VeraMate Premium with the ultimate goal of using it with an iWatch. Voice control is high on my list of desired features. I have been trying to get voice control within VeraMate to work on my iPhone without success. When I say Turn On Fireplace or Turn on Firepace light or Fireplace light on, The Light doesn’t respond and Siri say’s she doesn’t understand that. My voice command is displayed correctly on the Veramate screen. I can also manually control the lights from VeraMate. Fireplace is the name of one of my lights. I tried other lights as well but get the same Siri response without the command being executed. Any advice? I am on the latest version of iOS. I played with the voice settings but none seemed to change the results.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

In hindsight, I was using those commands with a dimmer switch. Could that be why it didn’t work? I was reading the FAQ at the Veramate website and it indicated that I can reference a percentage for dimmable lights. I’m not at home to test it but perhaps the commands I was using with only work for non dimmable lights. I should have tried that last night. When I get home I will revise my command and try: Turn on Fireplace light to 50%
I will also try to Use the original command with a non dimmable light.

If you have any further advice, I would love to hear it.[/quote]

VeraMate can’t control all devices (yet), but dimmers/light switches etc definitely should be able to (basically devices which can have simply on/off states at the moment). Saying “on” to a dimmer should work ie.

It might be the case the item isn’t quite a dimmer (could it be a plugin, etc?). If you use settings/contacts to diagnostics, I can get more details.

These are Linear in wall dimmer switches so they should work. I just tested another dimmer for my office light and that seemed to work (verified with webcam) so I will do some more testing when I get home.

It works with my office light but isn’t turning Couch Light On or Fireplace Light On… It also seems to work with the Kitchen Light. Weird as it’s getting the speech correct.

Got it figured out. I had to simplify the names of some of my swithces but it’s working fine now for most switches. ;D

Yep I can see the “fireplace” and “fire place” differences. I will be looking to try and analyse these kind of differences in the future, but for now it does do a strict match on the name…

Yep I can see the “fireplace” and “fire place” differences. I will be looking to try and analyse these kind of differences in the future, but for now it does do a strict match on the name…[/quote]

Thanks again for the great support! I spent some time playing with it last night and I was able to control all the lights I tested and most scenes as well. As I mentioned, I did need to rename some of my switches and scenes but it’s all good now. It’s a pretty slick app. Especially for the voice control factor. It would be great if you could control the lights via voice (without having to open the app) just by hitting the home button for Siri and using the Hey Siri command from the iPhone home screen or lock screen but even without that, I’m pretty happy being able to control my light, open and close the garage door, lock and unlock the front door all via voice. My wife is actually beginning to see the value in all my home automation efforts and now tells all her friends about how we can control stuff in the home.

Great to hear :slight_smile: It took a while for my girlfriend to appreciate my efforts as well, but it’s paying off :slight_smile:

And Apple don’t allow developers access to siri yet - it is supposed to work with HomeKit for iOS9, but to my knowledge that still requires support from the hardware manufacturers, so I’m hesitant to say whether I can get full access via VeraMate yet.

I still can’t get this to work…“Turn on FrontPorchLight” is recorded as “Turn on front porch light”, but it responds with “I beg your pardon”!

At which point I get mad and tell her to “fck off”…and then she says “I didn’t get that” - eventually I end up drinking, cause I can’t control this woman!

[quote=“RoyR, post:28, topic:184622”]I still can’t get this to work…“Turn on FrontPorchLight” is recorded as “Turn on front porch light”, but it responds with “I beg your pardon”!

At which point I get mad and tell her to “fck off”…and then she says “I didn’t get that” - eventually I end up drinking, cause I can’t control this woman![/quote]

Like in life, if you want her to listen to you you’ll need to change your approach - and tell her exactly what she wants to hear. “FrontPorchLight” can’t match the same string with spaces at the moment. You will need to name your scenes/devices to be exactly the same string that the voice translates it to - ie, add the spaces to the device name.