How to use 2412U with X10 devices?

I have several X10 dimmers installed through the house and I want to control them through Vera UI2 interface.

I connected 2412U PLM to Vera 2 and was able to activate Insteon & X10 interface.

All my X10 units have two dials for house code (A,B,C…) and device code (1,2,3).

When I tried to add X10 device to the interface only house code entry was available.

I would appreciate any help with programming.

OK, no help.

That’s good!

Go through countless topics = excersise your brains = find answer yourself = one more step in fighting Alzheimer if it ever comes.

Haha, i think most people over here use z-wave technology.

And you should to :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Mitchell, post:3, topic:168988”]Haha, i think most people over here use z-wave technology.

And you should to :P[/quote]

There are a lot things I should do but in this particular case old doesn’t necessarily mean bad.

X10 works well for local areas like bedrooms or kitchens. For a price of one Z-wave lamp module you can control three lamps in the bedroom (one on the chest, two on the nightstands) with dimming capability using three X10 remotes (one on the wall and two on the nightstands).

GE 45631 is the only Z-Wave small factor remote available and it has a lot of limitations (no dimming control, issues with scenes programming ,doesn’t work with devices if node number goes over 32 etc.) .

X10 remotes are well designed, inexpensive and just work.

I think there are very few of us using the 2412U. I unfortunately don’t own one so I’m not sure how the plugin works. :frowning:

I wouldn’t tell you to get rid of the X10 appliances at all. All of my X10 stuff works quite well with the new plugin I’ve been working on:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_mochad-x10

But you would need a cm15a/cm19a and a linux computer to run them on. The good news is the cm19a is only $9, but if you don’t have a linux box and you don’t want to mess with throwing linux on a plug computer it isn’t much help.

I am quite willing to help you get that set up if you decide to go that route.

[quote=“radarengineer, post:5, topic:168988”]I think there are very few of us using the 2412U. I unfortunately don’t own one so I’m not sure how the plugin works. :frowning:

I wouldn’t tell you to get rid of the X10 appliances at all. All of my X10 stuff works quite well with the new plugin I’ve been working on:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_mochad-x10

But you would need a cm15a/cm19a and a linux computer to run them on. The good news is the cm19a is only $9, but if you don’t have a linux box and you don’t want to mess with throwing linux on a plug computer it isn’t much help.

I am quite willing to help you get that set up if you decide to go that route.[/quote]

radarengineer,

Thank you for offering help, you solution is very promising, especially for folks who already heavily invested into the X10 setup.

I have several local areas with X10 and started playing with the Insteon & X10 interface rather out of curiosity after I bought iPad and installed iVera.

I’m able now to control several lamps in my master bedroom (though with 5 seconds delay) and probably would stop at this point with further advancements.

If you do a search on “X-10” or even “2412U”, you are likely to find a wealth of information such as the following thread:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=2346.0

X-10 is fading, but there was quite a bit of interest in getting the 2412U/2413U working with Vera a couple of years ago. You are likely to find many of your questions answered in these older posts.

Good Luck!

Thank you for offering help, you solution is very promising, especially for folks who already heavily invested into the X10 setup.

I bought and returned a 2412U. It is send only and does not sense or respond to X10 powerline commands or the X10 RF devices.

Radar’s mochad plugin works great, even though is is only a couple of weeks old. :slight_smile: The best thing about it to me is the RF devices: remotes, motion, door sensors. It all works.

Count ME in as among the hopeful that X10 and Vera will ever play nicely together. Believe me, I’ve tried.
I have a PLM (too tired to get up and check, but believe it’s the 2412U) and a single Leviton lamp module for testing it with. The rest of my X10 gear sits idle, awaiting further testing.

After a year of trying to garner support from the developers at MiCasaVerde - and subsquently feeling that they had oversold Vera’s multi-protocol capabilities - I threw up my hands in despair. Felt like I shelled out a lot of $$ for nothing on that front.
Let’s see who else chimes in… glad to see I/we’re not alone!

• Libra

Check out the mochad plugin. It works great. Also works with x10 rf devices.

I’ve had it running for a couple of weeks and it has never failed.

I have one X10 light (pir) - when it comes on, then I can turn it off from the MCV via the PML.
But not on.
The status on MCV shows as on, but it does not go on.
X10 controler will turn it on and off

I have not had time to dig deeper into it and sniff the traffic

Some frequencies work better than others with Vera, try changing the house code or device number until you find one that works both for On & Off.

JOD.

I had done a grab bag of 3 codes with the same result.
I did experiment with a serial PLM on my computer running Houselinc - that worked fine.

It’s an interference issue. You saw the info I posted Here stating any transformer based device on the same circuit as the PLM could cause communication issues?
Not just the PLM plugged into a surge protector, but any device on the same circuit could be the cause of the issue you are describing.

JOD.