how to trigger door open for 30 minutes alert

I am trying to program an scene to alert me when the garage door is open for 30 minutes. I have both tilt and door sensors installed but only door sensor is accurate. How do I achieve this?
The sensor only has triggers for: An armed sensor is tripped or A sensor (door/window/motion/etc.) is tripped.

Any help is appreciated.

Reactor will do this. Set up a service condition on the door sensor with a “sustained for” option of 30 minutes.

As rigpapa mentioned, Reactor is one way to do what you want…if you want to see the issue discussed in greater detail, check out this thread for a lot more info as people tried to help me and another person do exactly what you are trying to do :slight_smile:
I didn’t end up using Reactor, but got it working using another suggestion that didn’t involve a plug-in (just a little code added to the scene)

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,87408.0/topicseen.html

-Greg

@wrathwielder just be aware that any solution that involves scene Lua and timing will fail if Luup reloads or Vera reboots during the timing cycle. Scene triggers are edge-sensitive, so when Luup reloads, if the scene was triggered before the reload/reboot, it is not retriggered until the scene condition resets and trips again (e.g. the door sensor reads closed and then reopen), the timing event will have been lost, and any delayed actions of the scene or Lua timer/delay callback will never run. Fixing this is a major feature of both Reactor and PLEG.

Thank you, guys, for the information. I am new to this. What is a Reactor and how do I get it? Thanks again.

I found the Reactor plugin and installed it. But it says: Reactor : Incompatible firmware

1 Like

Hi rigpapa!
Yes, good point! In the OP’s case he should use the plug-in since he is looking for a way to reliably tell when the door has been open for 30 mins…
In my case, I just have a simple scene that runs every 60 minutes (using the built-in timing “interval” trigger option) and runs the Lua code to tell me if the door is currently open (not the actual switch from one state to the other - just current status) so if Luup reloads or the Vera reboots, the scene timer will just start over with it’s 60 minute checks - so it could definately be shorter or longer than 60 minutes…which is OK in my scenario since I just want it to tell me when I spaced out and forgot to close the garage door :slight_smile:

-Greg

Are you on UI5?

Other option is PLEG. I had something similar where the doors would lock themselves after being closed a couple minutes.

Are you on UI5?[/quote]

Yes, I am on UI5. I have about 100 devices on it and a lot of Scenes and security sensors programmed. Tried upgrading Firmware and 80% of the existing devices failed. Any work around?

Hi rigpapa!
Yes, good point! In the OP’s case he should use the plug-in since he is looking for a way to reliably tell when the door has been open for 30 mins…
In my case, I just have a simple scene that runs every 60 minutes (using the built-in timing “interval” trigger option) and runs the Lua code to tell me if the door is currently open (not the actual switch from one state to the other - just current status) so if Luup reloads or the Vera reboots, the scene timer will just start over with it’s 60 minute checks - so it could definately be shorter or longer than 60 minutes…which is OK in my scenario since I just want it to tell me when I spaced out and forgot to close the garage door :slight_smile:

-Greg[/quote]

Hi Greg, can you please show me where to find this built-in timing “interval” trigger option in UI5? I just need it to tell me if I forget to close the garage door, too. Thanks.

Are you on UI5?

Yes, I am on UI5. I have about 100 devices on it and a lot of Scenes and security sensors programmed. Tried upgrading Firmware and 80% of the existing devices failed. Any work around?
[/quote]

Reactor is currently UI7 only, and there’s no quick workaround. I will take a stab at it, but I’m about to be away for a week, so timingwise probably not until end of the month. Sorry about that!

With the new firmware update, I was able to upgrade my Veralite to VeraPlus running on the latest firmware of UI7. I added the app ‘Reactor’ and created a scene ‘garage open’. How do I use the Reactor to setup a service condition on the sensor? Thank you!

Select a service/variable condition, select your garage door sensor device, select the “Tripped” variable with operator “=” and value “1”. Next to the value is a black downward-pointing arrow. Click that, and it will open options for the condition. Put “1800” (1800 seconds = 30 minutes) in the “Sustained for” value. If your scene is set up to trigger when the ReactorSensor trips, that should be all you need.

Just configured it with your instructions and tested successfully! Thank you very much for all your help!!!

Awesome! My pleasure.