How to start up and shutdown a Netgear ReadyNAS from VERA

Ok, it looks like we need to see what’s being reporting in the logs, Is there a logfile/syslog on your ReadyNAS so you can see what was recorded when you tried it ?

QQ:, when you first sent the shutdown command, (using putty to ssh on to Vera ) did you get a response back?

Yes, when I entered the following: “ssh root@192.168.1.86 rnutil rn_shutdown”
It asked me for the ReadyNas password, which I entered and then it shut down.

Ok, then sadly it hasn’t worked - as that key file you uploaded to your NAS should’ve allowed you connect from Vera without requiring a password. That’s why it’s not working when sending the command via Vera UI

did the key get put in the right place? Here’s a snapshot of the folders/files from the WinSCP session:

Yep ‘pubkey’ is the one you want …

Looking here - > ReadyNAS OS 6: Setting up a backup job with rsync over SSH | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It says “Keys must be uploaded via text file” so copy ‘pubkey’ to your pc, add ‘.txt’ to the end, and then upload ‘pubkey.txt’ via the ReadyNAS UI.

that did not work.
after doing that, when I go back to Putty, and try to shut down the ReadyNas, I get:
“ssh: Connection to root@192.168.1.86:22 exited: No auth methods could be used.”

Ok, let’s try this, connect to Vera via putty again and send this command.
(I think this includes the private key as part of the ssh command.)

ssh -i /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key root@192.168.1.86 'rnutil rn_shutdown'

that worked. What now?

Worked ?
No password prompt ?

If so, wrap that same command in os.execute command, like you did with the previous ones and try it via the Vera UI

os.execute( " ssh -i /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key root@192.168.1.86 'rnutil rn_shutdown' " )

Yes - this worked from Putty: ssh -i /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key root@192.168.1.86 ‘rnutil rn_shutdown’
(no password prompt)

But this did not:
os.execute( " ssh -i /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key root@192.168.1.86 ‘rnutil rn_shutdown’ " )

UI says it’s sending the command but the NAS is not responding.

Ok, you’re going to need to check logs to see what is being sent/received and any messages that might result.

Another thing to try is this.

Install LuaTest on your Vera…

… and then access your new LuaTest page which will be something like this (192.168.xxx.xxx:3480/data_request?id=lr_LuaTest ) and then paste this chunk of code in…

local function sshexecute (command)
    p = io.popen (command)
    local out = p: read "*a"
	print(command)
	print(out)
	local f = assert(io.open("/www/popen.txt", "a"))
	f:write(out.. "", "\n")
	f:write(command.. "", "\n")
	f:close()
    p:close()
    print("-----------")
    return out
end

at the very end of that code above , add the ssh command wrapped within this ‘sshexecute’ function

sshexecute( " ssh -i /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key root@192.168.1.86 'rnutil rn_shutdown' " )

it should hopefully return any messages that would come back from the Command line.

*** Remember to use straight apostrophes and quotes, not curly ones :wink: ***

not sure if I did this correclty, but this is what I get:

Ok, please could you go to the following url

<vera_ip>/ popen.txt

Likely blank too, but worth a look…

it shows:
ssh -i /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key root@192.168.1.86 ‘rnutil rn_shutdown’

ssh -i /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key root@192.168.1.86 ‘rnutil rn_shutdown’

Hummmm, not sure what’s occurring there, I’ll need to look at the code again (as that’s not my area) - For now, let’s look at the ‘ssh’ command we’re using on Vera, as it seems using ssh via Putty works …

~# ssh -help
Dropbear SSH client v2019.78 https://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html
Usage: ssh [options] [user@]host[/port] [command]
-p <remoteport>
-l <username>
-t    Allocate a pty
-T    Don't allocate a pty
-N    Don't run a remote command
-f    Run in background after auth
-y    Always accept remote host key if unknown
-y -y Don't perform any remote host key checking (caution)
-s    Request a subsystem (use by external sftp)
-o option     Set option in OpenSSH-like format ('-o help' to list options)
-i <identityfile>   (multiple allowed, default .ssh/id_dropbear)
-A    Enable agent auth forwarding
-L <[listenaddress:]listenport:remotehost:remoteport> Local port forwarding
-g    Allow remote hosts to connect to forwarded ports
-R <[listenaddress:]listenport:remotehost:remoteport> Remote port forwarding
-W <receive_window_buffer> (default 24576, larger may be faster, max 1MB)
-K <keepalive>  (0 is never, default 0)
-I <idle_timeout>  (0 is never, default 0)
-J <proxy_program> Use program pipe rather than TCP connection
-c <cipher list> Specify preferred ciphers ('-c help' to list options)
-m <MAC list> Specify preferred MACs for packet verification (or '-m help')
-b    [bind_address][:bind_port]
-V    Version

We currently just use -i, so as you know/trust the ReadyNAS you’re connecting to, let’s add -y too this time, and go back to the original os.execute approach.

os.execute( " ssh -i -y /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key root@192.168.1.86 'rnutil rn_shutdown' " )

nope -
os.execute( " ssh -i -y /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key root@192.168.1.86 ‘rnutil rn_shutdown’ " )
didn’t work. Command sent but did not shut down the NAS.

Does it work, when you send it via putty ?

I may have to admit defeat and defer to others who may be following this thread.

Sadly it’s not unusual for Vera to come up short, hence sometimes I have to use other tools, the main one being Node-Red - and conveniently someone has posted something there that might help.

Actually, I get “failed loading keyfile ‘-y’”

And without the ‘ -y ‘ - it works, or same message ?