How do you set Vera 3/UI5 as secondary controller back to primary?

I case my Vera Plus craps out on me in the future and I have my Vera 3 as secondary, is there a procedure to quickly turn it (Vera 3) back to the primary controller? I’m assuming that the Vera 3 still has the working knowledge of the Z-Wave network and I won’t need to use a backup file.

[quote=“lemrock, post:1, topic:191225”]I case my Vera Plus craps out on me in the future and I have my Vera 3 as secondary, is there a procedure to quickly turn it (Vera 3) back to the primary controller?[/quote]There is a Z-Wave concept to seize the master role, but off the top of my head, I don’t know how to do it in Vera.

If such a scenario did arise, you would not have to make the Vera 3 master, unless you wanted the Vera 3 to include a new device. The Vera 3 will be fully functional as a secondary controller, it simply cannot include new Z-Wave devices.

Presumably, you’d be getting a new Vera Plus to replace the failed unit. You’d restore the backup to the new Vera Plus and it would be the master, as the failed unit was.

I'm assuming that the Vera 3 still has the working knowledge of the Z-Wave network and I won't need to use a backup file.
The Vera 3 will have knowledge of the Z-Wave network as it was when you "retired" it. But, it will have no clue about any Includes or Excludes that you may have done with the Vera Plus since then. You can "refresh" its knowledge by re-including it(no exclude) into the Vera Plus. This will cause the Vera Plus to send it all the Z-Wave network information, including any additions/deletions.

I might have to do this as my shinny new machine as crapped out - just 3 days into functioning as a master…

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:2, topic:191225”][quote=“lemrock, post:1, topic:191225”]I case my Vera Plus craps out on me in the future and I have my Vera 3 as secondary, is there a procedure to quickly turn it (Vera 3) back to the primary controller?[/quote]There is a Z-Wave concept to seize the master role, but off the top of my head, I don’t know how to do it in Vera.

If such a scenario did arise, you would not have to make the Vera 3 master, unless you wanted the Vera 3 to include a new device. The Vera 3 will be fully functional as a secondary controller, it simply cannot include new Z-Wave devices.

Presumably, you’d be getting a new Vera Plus to replace the failed unit. You’d restore the backup to the new Vera Plus and it would be the master, as the failed unit was.

I'm assuming that the Vera 3 still has the working knowledge of the Z-Wave network and I won't need to use a backup file.
The Vera 3 will have knowledge of the Z-Wave network as it was when you "retired" it. But, it will have no clue about any Includes or Excludes that you may have done with the Vera Plus since then. You can "refresh" its knowledge by re-including it(no exclude) into the Vera Plus. This will cause the Vera Plus to send it all the Z-Wave network information, including any additions/deletions.[/quote]

Thanks Z-Waver for the answer. I’m still understanding the roles of primary and secondary controller. Am I able to command the network as-is through both controllers assuming I haven’t included/excluded any devices since the controller shift? If that’s the case do I still need to go thru cp.mios.com to get at the Vera 3 and getvera.com to get to Vera Plus? The reason I’m asking is that I often see UI7 Incident Reports from Mios regarding Login servers going down. It would be nice to have a backdoor way back in through UI5.

[quote=“lemrock, post:4, topic:191225”]Am I able to command the network as-is through both controllers assuming I haven’t included/excluded any devices since the controller shift?[/quote]That is correct. Both controllers can issue commands on the Z-Wave network. The only thing the secondary Z-Wave controller cannot do is Include new devices.

Understand that the controllers themselves are discreet. They will not share logic or anything like that(that would be bridging.) The secondary controller is simply a part of the network exactly like a hand held remote would be.

If that's the case do I still need to go thru cp.mios.com to get at the Vera 3 and getvera.com to get to Vera Plus?
If Vera 3 is running UI5 then it will communicate and be accessible via cp.mios.com. Login attempts form getvera.com should automatically redirect you to cp.mios.com if you're accessing the UI5 device, but that doesn't always work perfectly.
The reason I'm asking is that I often see UI7 Incident Reports from Mios regarding Login servers going down. It would be nice to have a backdoor way back in through UI5.
That would be a benefit. Though it wouldn't be a backdoor, just a second front door.