How are you implementing Geofencing into your home automation?

@Ramiii

Ahh gotcha, ok, wasn’t sure what the exact issue was, that helps.

So if you setup the VS in Vera, take that ID and put it into the Geofence, and turn that geofence On (slider will look green, button to the right) that should be it for configuring the Geofence. The only other piece that might not be so obvious, is you need to enable location services in the Settings section of iOS for iViri. Go to Settings > iViri > Enable locate services. Once you do this, you should then be able to open iViri again and iOS will likely prompt you to enable location services for the app. If you don’t get this prompt and/or the location services switch is on in iViri Settings, you may have been prompted already before and selected not to allow location services for the app. In this case, you will need to simply open up Settings > Privacy > Location Service, find iViri in the list, and turn the switch on for location services for the app. This will re-enable the function and allow the Geofence to start working.

Thanks again

Did all that before , all location services are working , i’ll try deleting iViri and reinstalling it again , Geofence used to work before without assigning it to a VS , i used to get the notification but not anymore

@Ramiii

Have you verified that the Switch is not changing status when leaving/arriving in the locations? If you are missing the notifications, there is also a switch in iViri settings for Geofence notifications. If this is not turned on, you won’t get a local notification that anything has happened. Just not sure if you are saying it’s not working due to the lack of local notifications, or if the switches themselves are not actually changing.

Removing apps and then re-installing always tends to fix a lot of things. Just like most PC’s, 99% of problems solved by restarting. :slight_smile: If you happened to test this as a Beta tester, I would also note I had some funky things happen after I bought the official app too. Removing and re-installing made them disappear, so that would definitely be suggested if you were involved in the beta.

[quote=“Ramiii, post:20, topic:180186”]@shmixx

Thanks a lot for you reply

My problem here is that changing the status of the geofence switch in iViri doesn’t change the virtual switch in vera , I’m using virtual switch in other scenarios in my Vera with PLEG too so i know how it operates , through scenes or PLEG but it’s not my problem here .

I made 2 geofences and 2 virtual switches , one for home and one for work , It doesn’t matter where am i or what i do the virtual switch stats doesn’t change at all. iPhone locater is working fine though .[/quote]

My basic setup is Geofence name of “HOME”, a radius of 250 meters, and my virtual switch device ID that I got from my vera. Once you save that screen you will see a row on the Geofence view, that row is by default switched off (i.e. button does not equal green). You need to switch that button on for the row in your geofence you wanted active. The reason this is there is I figured people would like to be able to disable/arm different geofences depending on what they would be doing that day. As soon as you switch that on you should be prompted to allow iViri to access your location services. If you don’t, follow what shmixx posted above to make sure iViri’s settings are enabled to allow location services and make sure you are not blocking them on the privacy page of your iDevice. One thing to note, after doing all of this the app must stay open in the background in order for the app to receive region changes. iOS 7.1 was supposed to have a change that caused the app to be relaunched to detect this region change but as far as I have tested the app must remain open in the background at all times for geofences to work properly. This means, don’t double click the home key and swipe the app off the screen, instead leave it open. After it is all set you should be able to leave your house and receive a notification that your switch was OK and then when you return home you will get a notification that your switch was OK again. These messages just help me in knowing that everything was triggered fine, but you can turn them off if they do get too annoying by going into the iViri settings.

Maybe this is what I need. I’ve got two geofences - work and home. I’m using combination switches to trigger scenes based upon night/day and the geofence virtual switch. What I really need is for the combination switches to be rising edge triggered because what’ll happen is if I come home and it’s daylight, the “arrive home during daylight” scene triggers (i.e. not much happens). But after I’ve been home awhile and it becomes dark, the “arrive home when it’s dark” scene will fire even though I’ve been home for hours. Hopefully that makes sense. I suspect PLEG will make this possible, but I haven’t looked at it yet (I’ve just had the Vera unit for a few days).

@NewfD90

I would absolutely look at PLEG. This is the better answer for programming how these things happen. PLEG can take in a multitude of variables that you specify. It’s easy to create 2 different “conditions” (PLEG term) that will evaluate when you come home at night, or come home during the day. It can also have intelligence to only fire Night if Day has not been triggered, etc. It’s definitely an uphill learning curve when you first jump in, but posting in the PLEG section the good folks on here will help you build out the correct Condition statements. Then it’s simply a matter of programming the actions to take affect when the condition is met.

Maybe this is what I need. I’ve got two geofences - work and home. I’m using combination switches to trigger scenes based upon night/day and the geofence virtual switch. What I really need is for the combination switches to be rising edge triggered because what’ll happen is if I come home and it’s daylight, the “arrive home during daylight” scene triggers (i.e. not much happens). But after I’ve been home awhile and it becomes dark, the “arrive home when it’s dark” scene will fire even though I’ve been home for hours. Hopefully that makes sense. I suspect PLEG will make this possible, but I haven’t looked at it yet (I’ve just had the Vera unit for a few days).[/quote]

Right now for the v1.2 release I am looking at supporting the Multi-Switch plugin in conjunction with the Virtual Switch, would it benefit anyone if it supported disabling or enabling a PLEG device? The way you are using your stuff is exactly how I am using it and with PLEG I don’t have any of the issues that you are having with the day/night happening, if you want to PM me I could send you my PLEG for this.

@shmixx @jpete7683

I deleted the app and reinstalled it and now i’m back again to the crashing problem . Apps doesn’t even run .

I’m on iPhone 5S , 7.1 iOS . i have no idea what’s wrong here

[quote=“Ramiii, post:28, topic:180186”]@shmixx @jpete7683

I deleted the app and reinstalled it and now i’m back again to the crashing problem . Apps doesn’t even run .

I’m on iPhone 5S , 7.1 iOS . i have no idea what’s wrong here[/quote]

Are you on your home network?

[quote=“Ramiii, post:28, topic:180186”]@shmixx @jpete7683

I’m on iPhone 5S , 7.1 iOS . i have no idea what’s wrong here[/quote]

Actually, I am guessing what has happened here, is when you deleted the app and went and reinstalled the app it pull from iCloud, which probably had version 1.0 saved up. Can you kill off the iViri app and and re-open your app store and go to updates to see if you can refresh that and get v1.1 downloaded to update?

@jpete7683

No , i’m outside now

[quote=“Ramiii, post:31, topic:180186”]@jpete7683

No , i’m outside now[/quote]

Can you go to the app store and check your updates to make sure you have v1.1 installed? A lot of time when you reinstall from the app store and you haven’t backed up your device it installs the old version.

[quote=“jpete7683, post:32, topic:180186”][quote=“Ramiii, post:31, topic:180186”]@jpete7683

No , i’m outside now[/quote]

Can you go to the app store and check your updates to make sure you have v1.1 installed? A lot of time when you reinstall from the app store and you haven’t backed up your device it installs the old version.[/quote]

Also if you are able to populate all connection information and cause it to not crash you can go to the about screen and see what version of iViri the device is running.

@jpete7683 @shmixx

Now it’s working , It was v1.1 , i was testing with fwd1.mios.com and fwd7.mios.com but it only worked with fwd8.mios.com , i have no idea why .

Work VS is now working fine , i tested it while i’m here wt work .

Thanks guys

[quote=“Ramiii, post:34, topic:180186”]@jpete7683 @shmixx

Now it’s working , It was v1.1 , i was testing with fwd1.mios.com and fwd7.mios.com but it only worked with fwd8.mios.com , i have no idea why .

Thanks guys[/quote]

Thanks for the update, but that bothers me that v1.1 was still crashing for you. With v1.2 I am going to completely re-work the initial setup of the app. I will allow it to still be changed under the settings page but I will add in the ability to have a step by step connection setup wizard. I am sorry for the inconvenience of this issue, as some reviews of the app have called it “Junk Junk - Cannot believe apple allows this app. Totally junk”, which since I am not really making a profit from this app almost makes me want to pull it from the app store. I thought I was providing people with some additional functionality but it seems that there are people not very happy about iViri and the issues it has had, which I will say I am 100% sorry for any crashes or issues that any one has had happen and I am working hard to get them all resolved.

[quote=“shmixx, post:14, topic:180186”]I’d challenge anyone if you’ve already spent $5+ on apps/plugins, why not try this one. It’s a small cost to gain a large amount of usability.

And for anyones edification, no I don’t help create the app or gain any profit from it. I’ve worked on it with jpete as a beta tester and continue to provide feedback like everyone else. I’ve just found enough value that it’s worth illustrating my positive experience so others can gain the same, and a deserving dev can receive the accolades for their product.[/quote]

I definitely second this sentiment. This is a pretty slick app for a very reasonable price, that has the potential to develop in to something really awesome. (I am in no way affiliated with jpete. Not even a beta tester lol)

p.s. jpete: I have a hosting account that I don’t use much. PM me if you think you could use some bandwidth from there. Maybe even just for testing or whatever

[quote=“jpete7683, post:35, topic:180186”][quote=“Ramiii, post:34, topic:180186”]@jpete7683 @shmixx

Thanks guys[/quote]

Thanks for the update, but that bothers me that v1.1 was still crashing for you. With v1.2 I am going to completely re-work the initial setup of the app. I will allow it to still be changed under the settings page but I will add in the ability to have a step by step connection setup wizard. I am sorry for the inconvenience of this issue, as some reviews of the app have called it “Junk Junk - Cannot believe apple allows this app. Totally junk”, which since I am not really making a profit from this app almost makes me want to pull it from the app store. I thought I was providing people with some additional functionality but it seems that there are people not very happy about iViri and the issues it has had, which I will say I am 100% sorry for any crashes or issues that any one has had happen and I am working hard to get them all resolved.[/quote]

I understand that could be a little frustrating for users who buy the app and then discover that it’s crashing and it’s even more frustrating for you that your efforts are not appreciated , Problem is people don’t differentiate between an independent developer and a corporate , even her at the forums some people attacked RTS for selling PLEG licensees after all his efforts for the past years .

Don’t let them get you , App concept is great but it needs some extra work , lots of apps started like this then picked up later with users feedback . and it’s very good for it’s price , iVera was 30$ for god’s sake .

Keep on working on it man and good luck

Thanks for the comments @Ramiii and @bobnatale… I have taken the iOS 7.1 update and it appears that we can now kill off the app and its region monitoring and geofences will still work. I am going to test this out today but I think apple made a change in the code to appease a bigger software maker.

I had noticed this in the past few days but since I upgraded to 7.1 prior to installing iViri I just assumed that was how geofences always worked. But I noticed last night with my wife’s phone (iOS 7.0) that if I killed the app it killed the geofence. So it is definitely something new with 7.1

I had noticed this in the past few days but since I upgraded to 7.1 prior to installing iViri I just assumed that was how geofences always worked. But I noticed last night with my wife’s phone (iOS 7.0) that if I killed the app it killed the geofence. So it is definitely something new with 7.1[/quote]

Here is the article [1] I had read weeks ago but hadn’t tested it out to know for sure if it happened. Are there apps that people would rather use than iViri? Would it be better for iViri to release a separate app that just does geofencing and iBeacons? Basically get rid of Vera control with the app and create a second app that just does the geofencing stuff and ibeacons stuff?

[1]