Help with new Vera -- firewall issues?

Hi all,

I recently installed a Vera 2 to control a couple of kwikset locks. Install went fine, and everything seemed good for a day or two. At some point, the Vera stopped being able to reach the further away of the 2 locks. Probably because of signal integrity or something.

I moved it out of the equipment closet where it was installed, and reconnected it, and now I can’t access it through Mios anymore.

The relevant change was that initially it was plugged straight into my modem (modem includes a 4-port router). Now it is plugged into my wireless router, which is in turn plugged into the modem.

Is there something I need to set in the wireless router’s settings to enable the vera to be seen from the web?

Thanks,
–Carey

Which port on your wireless router did you use to connect to the original router? Typically in your configuration you need to connect to a LAN port on the wireless router rather than the ‘Internet’ port on the wireless router. In your configuration your wireless router is actually acting as an access point, not a router, so you would not use the ‘Internet’ (or WAN) port.

Of course. The wireless router’s WAN input port is connected to one of the LAN output ports on the modem (and everything else plugged into the wifi router works fine). I was just wondering if I need to open a port on the modem to enable Vera to connect to mios.

I re-plugged it into the modem, and it works fine. Interestingly, I did need to reboot both the Vera and the lock that it was having trouble with to get everything working again, so it might not be a problem with adding the wifi router into the chain. I haven’t gone back to re-insert the router in the path to see if it was really a port issue.

Quote from ckk: Of course. The wireless router’s WAN input port is connected to one of the LAN output ports on the modem (and everything else plugged into the wifi router works fine). I was just wondering if I need to open a port on the modem to enable Vera to connect to mios.

Try connecting the wireless routers LAN port into one the LAN ports on the modem.

[quote=“Frazierwa, post:4, topic:169584”]Quote from ckk: Of course. The wireless router’s WAN input port is connected to one of the LAN output ports on the modem (and everything else plugged into the wifi router works fine). I was just wondering if I need to open a port on the modem to enable Vera to connect to mios.

Try connecting the wireless routers LAN port into one the LAN ports on the modem.[/quote]

Really? That sounds odd, but I can give it a shot. It seems like connecting the LAN port to the modem will lose the firewall capabilities of the wifi router since the wireless router will just be working as a switch. I would rather keep the router intact since it is a much more secure router than the crappy modem that came from ATT. In that case I should be able to open a port on the wifi router to enable the Vera to connect to the internet…

Thanks,
–C

True, you will lose the firewall features of the wireless router if connecting to the LAN port, but the firewall must be on the WAN router to effectively protect the LAN. Since routers are designed to provide a controlled path between two different subnets, having a router filter traffic between two segments of the same subnet could create issues; especially on consumer grade routers.

My suggestion was designed to help resolve the connectivity issue you described with the Vera router, but your point is well taken if you are also trying to improve security with that configuration.