Help Please! Looking for a Security System

I have a post about the same subject a few days ago. Actually I think it started as a light control question and turned almost entirely into a 2gig / Vera discussion. I have done extensive reasearch since. 2gig will cost you exactly $26.95 for the lowest alarm only option with Iphone arming and basic messaging features. It is $12 for the GSM service and $6 for the basic alarm feature set from Alarm.com + $8.95 for the monitoring from Alarmrelay. The problem is that includes no home automation and you are also locked into Alarm.com as the only provider. It is another $15 for lights, thermostats, and locks HA control each month. You will end up paying far more than the hardware over time. My current DSC hardwired alarm is still working fine and it is 14 years old. The available logic for the addition home automation stuff is also no where near what you can do with Vera. I decided to definitely separate the home control from the Alarm functions. There are tons of companies trying to take advantage of people with little technical skills by locking them into paying high monthly service fees for options which are easy to do yourself. Xfinity, Verizon, Schlage, Vivint are just a few diving into this space. I still have to make final decisions on my Alarm system as I want to utilize all the hardwired sensors, switch to GSM monitoring as well as add a wireless front end so that I can add wireless smoke detectors and glass breakage sensors. My sense is that the major players such as honeywell Ademco and DSC have new units or modules coming out later this year to compete with 2gig. If you search for Honeywell 6280 on Youtube, you will see the new front end Home Automation Zwave / Security touchscreen panel that comes out in the next month or so (ethenet only unit first). I plan to use this display as my Alarm/Camera/Thermostat/Zwave secondary panel located in the foyer, with iPad control through SQremote / Vera for the rest of the house including home theater. At least this is my current plan, but i still need to decide on the right back end security system. Elk seems amazing / but very pricy. I am hoping DSC adds zwave and the ability to interface to hardwired zones to their wireless offerings.

I really don’t get why people are getting so hung up on wanting to interface potential alarm systems using Zwave.

It really is not needed and there are several options from different vendors to integrate with Vera via and an IP or RS232 connection; these systems are all able to use wireless sensors and it really negates the need for Zwave that’s not even mission critical in my opinion!

For the DSC systems forget the Alexor systems as they’re not compatible with the IT100.

If you do want to go with a DSC kit then just go with power series kit that includes a wireless keypad, and build it out form there. There are already a few threads in the Luup forum detailing this stuff, and a few of us are more than happy to share what we have, or recommend what you’ll need to buy if you tell us what your requirements are.

You’d need to get one or more smokes that will talk with your alarm system–depending on the configuration of your home these can be wired or wireless (if you have attic or basement/crawlspace access, running wire from one part of the home to another is usually pretty easy).

I don't have VOIP so I'd need a GSM module.
You don't have to have VOIP, you just have to have broadband Internet, which you do. Alarmrelay.com (or other providers) then sell you a module that will handle the VOIP interface--in simple terms, it plugs into your alarm panel on one side, and into your Internet connection on the other side. You'd want, of course, to put your cable modem and router on a UPS, but you would still be subject to network outages. You're right that a GSM module would avoid that problem, but it costs more--like everything else, there's a tradeoff.
I'll try building a kit.. I don't think I can do a wired motion sensor- it would be all way across the house from the panel, and you recommended a different keypad than the one that's included.
Yes, I recommended a different keypad, but you will usually want more than one keypad anyway--usually you want one at each common entry door, and one in the master bedroom. One of those keypads should be either the PK5500 or the RFK5500; the RFK adds a wireless receiver. Either of those will have the full-text display that you'll need for programming at a minimum. If you were to buy the kit I listed, you wouldn't need another RFK keypad. I haven't seen a kit that includes the RFK5500, just the RFK5501.
Am I going to be able to program this thing myself or should I try to find someone to do it?
I can't tell you if you're going to be able to program it. I programmed mine, and I started a few months ago with knowing nothing about alarm systems, but it took a fair bit of studying both the installation manuals and security web sites. I'm told that homesecuritystore.com has very good phone tech support, but I've not had occasion to use it.

Alarmrelay.com will walk you through programming for the monitoring itself–that is, they’ll take you through entering their phone number, account number, the appropriate reporting codes for all the system events they monitor, a duress code, etc. However, you’ll need to have all the zones working and programmed first.

Any hints on finding someone just to program and install?
The best suggestion I can give would be to check with the folks on diyalarmforum.com, as they may know of a local installer who will work with your equipment, or at least install specified equipment without a monitoring agreement. I've seen another website, http://www.myalarmguy.net/, that says he'll program your panel for free if you buy it from him, but I have no experience with him or his service.

I am probably going that way Strangely, but the Zwave is mostly just for basic thermostat setback/halway light/ and door control integration. I can see it would be nice to simply arm the Alarm system for away and have it verify the Thermostat setback as well as turn out the lights. It would also be nice if I go with a Zwave Kwickset lock to have the code automatically disable the Alarm and Turn up the Thermostat and turn on an enter scene. I believe this is the only real functionality that the units like 2gig give. Almost anything else would be a bit clunky or not very convenient to have to go to the main halway to use anyway.

Let us know if you guys have achieved this kind of integration just through Vera and the IT-100 with the DSC interface. One of the things I am finding reading this forum is that most of the guys are very capable from a technical perspective, but the posts all seem to be at the very detailed level with not many overview posts, with pictures, or Youtube videos to provide a basic understanding of the functionality provided. It might be a great idea to simply have an Applications section where people can share their projects from a high level overview and then link to the detailed posts from there.

The reason I need a new unit is not really for the Zwave capability but more for the wireless front end to add more Zones easily and also have that unit be GSM based.

The integration with Vera is so good that you can either use the alarm stuff to trigger scenes etc for lights or things like home / away scenes, and you can also enable or disable the alarm from certain events like PIN codes being entered on Kwicksets locks etc, or pretty much any other way you feel to have it arm/disarm.

None of it is any more difficult to set up than a Zwave sensor triggered scene in Vera, with no special hacks or knowledge required.

For the most part I hardly ever use my alarm keypad for arming or disarming, as I either do it through SQ remote, or I use the key-fob that came with the alarm.

If I can get the alarm system hooked up through Vera, then yeah, Zwave sounds like it would be redundant, although with not knowing enough about home automation I like the idea of having several options in case things change in the future. I have no idea if that even makes sense, but it’s what I was thinking. I also don’t have the Vera yet so I thought this could hold me over until I was ready to make the Vera leap. It’s just been a bit of a math problem to find the right security system that can talk to Vera and also doesn’t cost an arm and a leg either through equipment costs or subscription fees or data plans for the GSM. But… with all the good help from you guys it sounds like DSC Powerseries is a good way to go. The programming is the big negative in my book for this brand, but they all have something and this can be overcome. I did find two potential people to install it and will hopefully talk to them today more about it.

For anyone else following the breadcrumbs, it looks like this kit has the 5500 keypad.
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=549&SEName=kit32-51-dsc-power-1832-security-kit

It doesn’t include the sensors, but the sensors in the other kit were wired.

With the keyfob, is it necessary to have more than one keypad? OOH, Strangely, you just answered that while I was typing… that’s what I thought.

I bought a basic kit to start with which came with everything including 3 wireless door/window sensors, a PIR sensor and a keyfob. I also bought the IT100 at the same time. Total cost was about $300 and my house was luckily pre-wired for most of the doors etc, and I was able to use this to save buying more wireless sensors.

I then added a second keypad, some smokes and another keypad that I got from eBay. If you keep an eye out there, then there are some real bargains.

If you take a look at DSC Alarm Panel then there’s some forum links at the bottom where a lot of this was discussed.

[quote=“KimS, post:26, topic:168510”]For anyone else following the breadcrumbs, it looks like this kit has the 5500 keypad.
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=549&SEName=kit32-51-dsc-power-1832-security-kit

It doesn’t include the sensors, but the sensors in the other kit were wired.[/quote]
That kit includes the PK5500 keypad–it has the full-text LCD display, but does not have the RF receiver for wireless sensors. The kit I linked to does not have the full-text LCD display, but does have the RF receiver, and includes 3 wireless door/window sensors in addition to a wired motion detector. If you order this kit and want to use wireless devices, you’ll need an RF receiver, whether integrated into a keypad (RFK 5500 or RFK 5501) or as a separate device.

This Kit includes the wireless, full message keypad

I’d use this as base and then add wireless sensors etc.

OH good catch. thanks for the save! I was only looking at the 5500 number.

sooo, I talked to a very reputable local installer and he said it would take two people around 12-16 hours to install and program. Seriously? I bought the system about an hour before he called me to give the estimate. Did it take you all that long? I have a small house… maybe 3 doors, 4 windows, 1 motion and a smoke detector.

Probably would not take that long if you bought the system from him.

You have to look at it this way, he’s in business’s to make money, he can’t make any profit off you on equipment, you are probably not going to have him monitor your alarm, all that’s left is labor.

If you use wireless sensors it can be pretty quick, I’d they have to start fishing wires in your house, all bets are off. It should not take any longer than a few hours to program any alarm panel. If you mount the sensors, they will only have to mount and wire the panel and wired keyboard/siren/power supply, and register the wireless sensors.

When I used to have my own alarm and wiring company in the 90’s, my standard answer on labor on an unknown job/possible time sink was always"2 men, 2 days", if it couldn’t be done in that time, something with the scope of the job was missed.

If you are using wireless sensors and are creative about where you want to install your panel and keypad, then in theory you could have the whole thing done in a few hours. I recently helped a friend with his, and it was pretty quick.

The more time consuming part was learning to program it, and it took me several days of working a few hours at a time to get it right. There are some good forums to help you, and also if you bought it from homesecuritystore.com then I think they have a free tech support line.

at this rate it would be cheaper for me to fly any of you out here and pay you to help me for a few hours :slight_smile:

i’ll see if i can find someone else to do it. this guy was just reputable and known to alot of folks. i really don’t want to do this myself. every time i say i don’t want to learn anything else, i end up having to.

If it were me, I would try the do it yourself route. What is the worst that can happen, you will need to pay somebody to come in and fix it. If you are not comfortable with wiring or programming things then pay a friend a nice meal out and a case of beer, especially if you are not on a tight schedule :slight_smile:

Thanks for the information Strangely. The control is exactly what I am looking for with Vera and I have the SQBlaster/remote coming in today, so setting it up should be a breeze. I am leaning more and more to the DSC IT-100 interface route, but I probably still need a different front end. Does anyone have a recommended wireless DSC front end panel that is already GSM based, can interface with the IT-100 and has a module to interface to all the prewired zones in my DSC 832 panel (I believe the 5010) in my basement? I already have all the LCD pads I need hardwired. What I really need is an IT-100/GSM/Wireless expander module, but it probably doesn’t exist with all three in one.

If internet monitoring is “good enough”, you could get an “IP Bat” board, the self monitoring is about $5.99/month, full central station along with self monitoring seems to run around $14.99/month, uses your internet connection, no POTS line needed. I know its not GSM, but then again, it costs less than that as well.

http://www.ipdatatel.com/broadband_alarm_transmitter

Mitch

If you’re going to do Internet monitoring with the IP BAT, you might as well use the VOIP adapter from one of the alarm companies and save yourself the $70+/year, IMO.

The IP BAT does more than just monitoring though, you can remote arm/disarm (iPhone/Android app or any web browser), and even program the panel (since its a virtual keyboard emulator). It can also send out email and text alerts to anyone you setup. The IP BAT is much more than just simple monitoring.

also, most of those alarm companies charge $8.95/month for standard monitoring, never heard of any free ones, the IP BAT is only $5.99 for self monitoring, yes, it is more ($14.99) if you want central station response as well.

If you are self monitoring with email and text alerts, the IP BAT is actually $36/year less than any standard or VOIP alarm monitoring service.

Self-monitoring vs. CS monitoring are really apples and oranges. Obviously nobody is going to monitor your alarm 24/7/365 for free, and you can’t do that yourself either. If self-monitoring is all you want, hook the alarm up to Vera and use the DSC plugin–sounds like it will do everything the BAT will do (and more) except notify the CS.

It’s probably sounding like I’m trying to bash the BAT, but I’m really not–I just don’t see how it adds any value for someone who already has a Vera and a DSC system. Vera can handle all the remote control/notification (as well as automation, which the BAT doesn’t do, as I understand it), and a CS like alarmrelay.com will provide a VOIP terminal for monitoring with no additional monthly cost (though there is the one-time cost to buy it).

I waserviis in your same shoes a few months ago. I wanted an alarm system, but I also wanted it monitored and I wanted it hooked up to my Vera. I finally decided on having a system installed by a professional even though I could have done it myself.

I found a small company that did an outstanding job. They installed 3 door sensors, 12 window sensors, 4 smoke detectors, and 4 motion sensors. They did it all in one day and for a reasonable price.

They installed a Honeywell Vista128 panel with an RS232 port which did not have a Vera pluggin. So I wrote one.

Now I use the interface for several things, but not home monitoring. My security service does that. I use the motion sensors to activate lights. When the alarm is set to away, the thermostat is turned down. I can also arm the alarm from my tablet. Sure, I get a text if my alarm goes off, but I am not relying on that. As others have said, you should pay someone for that.

Good luck with your decision.