Has anyone attempted/accompished Google Home integration?

Yes, latest version, yes, port 80, and yes I can control lights from the control panel. But when I pair the Hue to Google Home, I only see the Hue lights in the Home app. Am I supposed to pair the physical Hue bridge to the Home, or is it supposed to see the emulated bridge?

I was able to start commanding Home to control devices as soon as I saw those devices listed under Hugh on the Home app.

I have Google Home and Dot side by side for a while now… both talk to the same HA Bridge (running on RaspberryPI)
Sharing the same set of device/commands from Vera

what I have noticed is 90% of the time, my kids will use Alexa… in fact, i am the only that try to use Google

“OK Google” and “Hey Google” are just unnaturally ask a question… and it seems that Google mic is lesser sensitive than Alexa (both placed side by side) when you activate voice command … ie “Alexa” vs “OK Google”

Google command recognition is little bit better … you can ask in different ways and it’s response is better ie “Turning on Bedroom Light” vs Alexa just say “OK”

At the end of the day, I think Alexa wins… if you want voice control for home automation, I would pick Alexa… (PS …I am a Google fan but “OK Google” is not getting my vote…)

maybe they should change this “Jiggle”, “Turn on my radio” and it still better than “OK Google” << is this a person or is it a thing? … “Alexa” word is more welcoming …

I went with google home myself… mostly because google just tends to do cloud services better then it’s competitors. Although I agree saying ok google in your house is a bit strange. hopefully they’ll make that configurable in the future. It’d be easy to do and is already often requested by users.

Both\All should allow you to customize the wake up command. For security reasons if nothing else. I don’t mind OK Google. The best part is my wife doesn’t either. She was OK with everything until Google Home. Now she is OK Googling everything. It’s awesome to see her so enthused!

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer”]I will have a Google Home agent soon … it should work on your android phone, tablet, or google home device.

This will support simple discovery/device management.
Multiple Vera’s …
Multiple Google Home devices …

I also have a Vera Alerts Profile that I plan to release with this that will allow you to send Vera notifications (as Text to Speech) to some/all of your google home and google cast devices.

This requires installing something on an always running server (RaspberyPi, Windows, Mac …) device. Sorry you can’t run on Vera because it requires a Java virtual machine.[/quote]
Hi Richard
Are you saying just the notifications will require an always running server? Or the Google home agent will also require this?

Here’s another possible approach to using Google Home to control Vera …

I was watching this video Google Home Hacks for the Smart Home - YouTube where the TWIT guys were describing how to use ITTT and the Maker Channel to send html requests to either a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino. This made me think why not just send html requests to Vera. The Vera documentation here http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Requests#action shows some example html requests for performing actions like turning on a light. Unfortunately my Vera is located remotely from my Google Home, so I don’t think I can easily get Google Home via ITTT/Maker to remote log into Vera. But if Google Home and Vera were on the same network, Vera’s local ip address (192.168.0.4 for example) can be hard coded in the Maker html request.

I was able to remotely request to set one of my dimmers to 30% after logging into Vera remotely, by sending this url …

http://fwd2.mios.com/port_3480/data_request?id=action&output_format=json&DeviceNum=63&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1&action=SetLoadLevelTarget&newLoadlevelTarget=30

That seemed like proof that Vera can be controlled via html requests.

Maybe someone with Vera and Google Home on the same network can give this a try.

EDIT:

I think I can discount my own idea. The problem is that Maker requires a request to a PUBLICLY accessible URL. So the local Vera IP address (192.168.0.xx) will not work. Sorry if I’ve mislead anyone.

[quote=“jsnsmyth, post:27, topic:194444”]Here’s another possible approach to using Google Home to control Vera …

I was watching this video Google Home Hacks for the Smart Home - YouTube where the TWIT guys were describing how to use ITTT and the Maker Channel to send html requests to either a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino. This made me think why not just send html requests to Vera. The Vera documentation here http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Requests#action shows some example html requests for performing actions like turning on a light. Unfortunately my Vera is located remotely from my Google Home, so I don’t think I can easily get Google Home via ITTT/Maker to remote log into Vera. But if Google Home and Vera were on the same network, Vera’s local ip address (192.168.0.4 for example) can be hard coded in the Maker html request.

I was able to remotely request to set one of my dimmers to 30% after logging into Vera remotely, by sending this url …

http://fwd2.mios.com/port_3480/data_request?id=action&output_format=json&DeviceNum=63&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1&action=SetLoadLevelTarget&newLoadlevelTarget=30

Maybe someone with Vera and Google Home on the same network can give this a try.[/quote]

This is exactly what you can do with the HA bridge. It pretends to be a light bulb, but the command going out can be anything - in particular it can be the http requests to the Vera. So you can set up a device named “blinds” in the HA bridge, and have the http request that it generates raise or lower your blinds via Vera. My HA bridge talks to my thermostat and runs scenes on the Vera. I have a scene for “winter sleep”. Works very well to turn off lights, turn down the heat, etc.

[quote=“jswim788, post:28, topic:194444”][quote=“jsnsmyth, post:27, topic:194444”]Here’s another possible approach to using Google Home to control Vera …

Maybe someone with Vera and Google Home on the same network can give this a try.[/quote]

This is exactly what you can do with the HA bridge. It pretends to be a light bulb, but the command going out can be anything - in particular it can be the http requests to the Vera. So you can set up a device named “blinds” in the HA bridge, and have the http request that it generates raise or lower your blinds via Vera. My HA bridge talks to my thermostat and runs scenes on the Vera. I have a scene for “winter sleep”. Works very well to turn off lights, turn down the heat, etc.[/quote]

But I think that ITTT/Maker should give you a way to control Vera via Google Home without the need for HA bridge or the server it needs to run on. I’m not sure if this approach will work, and perhaps HA bridge is better in many ways.

Yes my solution will require a windows, mac, or Linux box running a java app to be running all the time.

There are ways to do this all cloud based … but I would loose a number of features. The project is moving along nicely.

I have a very simple setup once Java is installed.
You do not need to stay logged in.

Still can’t get the ha-bridge to work. The instructions say

“Use the Google Home app on a phone to add new “home control” devices by going into Settings / Home Control / + as described here. Click on Philips Hue under the Add new section. If ha-bridge is on the same network as the phone as well as the Home device, then the app should quickly pass through the pairing step and populate with all of the devices. If instead it takes you to a Philips Hue login page, this means that the bridge was not properly discovered.”

The ha-bridge is on the same network as everything in my house. The are all in the 192.168.0.x space, and it has the proper port number. When I go to add the Hue in the home app, I can add the actual physical Hue Bridge. Am I supposed to be adding the virtual ha-bridge? The instructions are unclear. I never see an option to do that.

[quote=“jsfaje, post:31, topic:194444”]Still can’t get the ha-bridge to work. The instructions say

“Use the Google Home app on a phone to add new “home control” devices by going into Settings / Home Control / + as described here. Click on Philips Hue under the Add new section. If ha-bridge is on the same network as the phone as well as the Home device, then the app should quickly pass through the pairing step and populate with all of the devices. If instead it takes you to a Philips Hue login page, this means that the bridge was not properly discovered.”

The ha-bridge is on the same network as everything in my house. The are all in the 192.168.0.x space, and it has the proper port number. When I go to add the Hue in the home app, I can add the actual physical Hue Bridge. Am I supposed to be adding the virtual ha-bridge? The instructions are unclear. I never see an option to do that.[/quote]

from a different computer on the same network see if you can access the HA Bridge interface using the IP address of the bridge PC.

Also don’t change the port, it needs to stay on port 80 if I recall

Got it working without HA bridge, I have been searching and did not see this solution. If someone else found this solution, sorry for taking credit.

Requirements, Dynamic DNS address, Router permission, IFTTT.

Set up a dynamic web address, I used http://www.noip.com/, free. Once you have that working, you have web access to your home network.

Create a scene you want to activate. After you save the scene go back to edit the scene to see the number of that particular scene.

Set up an IFTTT account. https://ifttt.com

Ready to go: in IFTTT create new applet. If this: select google assistant, select- say simple phrase, set up want you want to say to execute your scene and what you want Google Home to reply. Then: Select “Maker”. For the URL put in:
http://.no-ip.com:3480/data_request?id=action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=RunScene&SceneNum= no “<>”'s put in your unique address and scene number
For content select “text/plain” and leave Body blank

You probably need to open port number 3480 on your modem/router or port forward that port number to the IP address of your micasa verde for this to work, but that is it.

I was able to control the lights without a big delay. Because google home reserves curtain key words, my verbal commands needed to be customized. To get the thermostat to a certain temp, I say “OK google run scene 72”. It also works with echo, just have to use the word “trigger”.

I’d be careful opening up Vera with an unsecured connection. The HA Bridge works, although limited. It works as well as anything else that is out there and with limited security risk.

On a non-Vera side note: Google Home now has direct support for Total Comfort connected Honeywell Thermostats. I was able to connect mine last night. I can set the thermostat, and I can also ask for a status on settings and the current internal temp. It seems to work very well!!

I wish the HA bridge could provide status, but I gather that’s not in the Hue bridge protocol. It would be really great to get status through it as then you would have the ability to both set and query which gives a lot of flexibility. Bummer.

I have not seen where anyone has been able to to request status through the HA Bridge for Vera. I haven’t seen it if they have. I am hoping RichardTSchaefer’s solution will allow for status. I would also like to be able to push TTS to Google Home, if you are taking feature requests, Richard. :wink:

I have not seen where anyone has been able to to request status through the HA Bridge for Vera. I haven't seen it if they have. I am hoping RichardTSchaefer's solution will allow for status. I would also like to be able to push TTS to Google Home, if you are taking feature requests, Richard
That feature is there ... and one of the reasons why I require a local server to run some software. One problem is that if you have a Music stream playing and you send a message ... there is no way to resume the stream. For some stream types I might be able to resume that stream type .... but there is no general solution ... and to many stream types ... that I will likely not even try.

I can see things developing where you can pause any stream then pick it back up. But baby steps… I know…

I have Vera, Google Home, HA Bridge and HUE.
I’ve set up the HA Bridge and I can see and add my devices within HA Bridge.
On the Bridge Devices Page I can turn my devices on and off and dim.
Problem is when I try to give Google Home the command to turn on, off or Dim Google HOme gives me “I can’t do that message” or “Devices” messages.

What am I missing?

[quote=“chilump, post:39, topic:194444”]I have Vera, Google Home, HA Bridge and HUE.
I’ve set up the HA Bridge and I can see and add my devices within HA Bridge.
On the Bridge Devices Page I can turn my devices on and off and dim.
Problem is when I try to give Google Home the command to turn on, off or Dim Google HOme gives me “I can’t do that message” or “Devices” messages.

What am I missing?[/quote]
Have you gone into your google home app on your phone and added the HA bridge?

from the documentation:

Google Assistant

Google Home is supported as of v3.2.0 and forward, but only if the bridge is running on port 80.

Use the Google Home app on a phone to add new “home control” devices by going into Settings / Home Control / + as described here. Click on Philips Hue under the Add new section. If ha-bridge is on the same network as the phone as well as the Home device, then the app should quickly pass through the pairing step and populate with all of the devices. If instead it takes you to a Philips Hue login page, this means that the bridge was not properly discovered.

Then you can say “OK Google, Turn on the office light” or whatever name you have given your configured devices.