Get the vera 3 or wait for veraplus?

Found a great deal on a deluxe package. Even though I don’t need more than half of the items in there, I can sell those or split the item with a family member and end up paying very little for the vera 3 plus keep a few useful items. We’re talking under $100 once said and done

Is the Vera 3 worth the upgrade from a VL at this point or just ride it out and wait for Veraplus?

I think my VL is overloaded. Lots of issues lately (adding more devices)

[quote=“dannieboiz, post:1, topic:189438”]Found a great deal on a deluxe package. Even though I don’t need more than half of the items in there, I can sell those or split the item with a family member and end up paying very little for the vera 3 plus keep a few useful items. We’re talking under $100 once said and done

Is the Vera 3 worth the upgrade from a VL at this point or just ride it out and wait for Veraplus?

I think my VL is overloaded. Lots of issues lately (adding more devices)[/quote]

Are you running ui5 and planning on staying with it?

If your ok with ui7 I would wait for the PLUS or just buy the 99.99 Vera Edge. The Vera 3 is getting old, has no z-wave plus, slower processor and offers no real advantage over the newer Vera EDGE besides ui5 and extra usb ports which can be had with a usb splitter.

After much thoughts, i went ahead and ordered the package. I have nothing but problems with ui7. Intention is to put ui5 on then later get veraplus.

You don’t have much choice if your staying on ui5.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9702259&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&scid=scplp3969983&gclid=CjwKEAjwh8exBRDyyqqH9pvf1ncSJAAu4OE3K2bHmJMuEcCd9_3O_oerFu8U9W8ROm6y2fKzLuDSyxoCzlPw_wcB

That’s what I ordered. Figured the lock alone was worth half of that

There is some trick to get back to UI5 - you may have to call support so as to get around the forced upgrade. But it is worth it to be on UI5.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don’t agree with that for many reasons but to each his own.

I don’t agree with that for many reasons but to each his own.[/quote]
I haven’t use ui5 before but I hardly see threads about plugins and devices not working

[quote=“dannieboiz, post:1, topic:189438”]Found a great deal on a deluxe package. Even though I don’t need more than half of the items in there, I can sell those or split the item with a family member and end up paying very little for the vera 3 plus keep a few useful items. We’re talking under $100 once said and done

I think my VL is overloaded. Lots of issues lately (adding more devices)[/quote]

Go for the 3 (on ui5) and let ui7 get mature first

I don’t agree with that for many reasons but to each his own.[/quote]
I haven’t use ui5 before but I hardly see threads about plugins and devices not working[/quote]

Ui5 stopped being supported over a year ago. There is no updates, there is no support for new devices and don’t think anyone is making plugins anymore. So it’s safe to say what is working should stay working as it’s somewhat stable and nothing new coming out to change that.

ui7 keeps getting updated and changed each month and new z-wave plus devices keep coming out. Sometimes with new ui7 updates it takes one step forward and 3 back or 3 forward and one back. Problem is every change you get something different. ui5 doesn’t have this issue or support any new z-wave plus devices. It is just what it is right now and not changing. Change is tuff for many but jumping on board you should start with whats current and move forward vs. going backwards.

People on ui5 have been on ui5 for sometime have a fairly established system from years ago and in current days they not expanding much, maybe just changing logic here an there. They also seem to forgot all the complaints from threads of ui5 issues. Lucky for them ui7 came out and it was worse so they forgot there ever was any issues. Over a year and half later UI7 still has issues for certain things but it’s much better then before. It’s also in someways better then ui5.

That makes perfect sense. However, if my devices doesn’t function with ui7, it makes some purpose of my automation useless. Specifically motions and door sensors.

Don’t get me wrong, I love new developments and always jump on new firmware for any devices. However, since I installed vera almost a year ago, I find myself troubleshooting the system on a monthly basis. If ui5 and vera 3 makes everything work the way it should even with no new updates for the next 6 months to a year while veraplus get released and stable, it will be worth while for me. I’ve actually gotten to the point where I won’t need anymore devices added as everything I have now satisfy my HA needs. So as long as I things works with ui5, I may not even need a veraplus.

[quote=“dannieboiz, post:11, topic:189438”]That makes perfect sense. However, if my devices doesn’t function with ui7, it makes some purpose of my automation useless. Specifically motions and door sensors.

Don’t get me wrong, I love new developments and always jump on new firmware for any devices. However, since I installed vera almost a year ago, I find myself troubleshooting the system on a monthly basis. If ui5 and vera 3 makes everything work the way it should even with no new updates for the next 6 months to a year while veraplus get released and stable, it will be worth while for me. I’ve actually gotten to the point where I won’t need anymore devices added as everything I have now satisfy my HA needs. So as long as I things works with ui5, I may not even need a veraplus.[/quote]

Do you currently have a problem with ui7? You never said but I’m assuming you haven’t updated UI in the last few years?

There’s not many devices if any that don’t function in ui7 but do in ui5. Most sensor issues lately have been with new z-wave plus sensors which don’t fully work in ui5 either. I haven’t had any sensor issues except smoke detector (z-combo’s) that never worked in ui5 and was the reason I went to ui7. They work until an update 2 months ago that left them sending false notifications, so i didn’t update until this last beta and all is still good for me.