Fountain / Water Feature Control

Sammy,

Not familiar with the construction of your pool. However, this is typically done by boring a 3/4" line into the side of the pool below the water level and out under the deck or into the deck. Then a pool filler reservoir is placed there. This is the same as a skimmer reservoir without the flat inlet in the front. The level of the water is controlled by the device I specified previously which is connected to the pressure line piped into this reservoir. As the level drops in the pool the level drops in the reservoir and the reservoir is refilled to increase the level of the pool. This also has the added benefit of not being affected by splashing or rough water caused by windy days and the like.

In a retrofit this will require boring on the plaster below the beam and finding a location anywhere around the perimeter of the pool for the reservoir. BTW I would avoid those that look like they belong in a toilet tank as these are typically made of plastic which is susceptible to freeze and temperature change. While you are at it a good addition is an overflow for when it rains so that the water level never goes to the coping. Water can seep under the deck just below the coping causing damage to your pool deck.

However, there is another solution that might also work for you if you already have a manual filler line piped into your pool.
[url=http://ezautofill.com/]http://ezautofill.com/[/url]

[quote=“rstrouse, post:21, topic:195122”]Sammy,

Not familiar with the construction of your pool. However, this is typically done by boring a 3/4" line into the side of the pool below the water level and out under the deck or into the deck. Then a pool filler reservoir is placed there. This is the same as a skimmer reservoir without the flat inlet in the front. The level of the water is controlled by the device I specified previously which is connected to the pressure line piped into this reservoir. As the level drops in the pool the level drops in the reservoir and the reservoir is refilled to increase the level of the pool. This also has the added benefit of not being affected by splashing or rough water caused by windy days and the like.

In a retrofit this will require boring on the plaster below the beam and finding a location anywhere around the perimeter of the pool for the reservoir. BTW I would avoid those that look like they belong in a toilet tank as these are typically made of plastic which is susceptible to freeze and temperature change. While you are at it a good addition is an overflow for when it rains so that the water level never goes to the coping. Water can seep under the deck just below the coping causing damage to your pool deck.

However, there is another solution that might also work for you if you already have a manual filler line piped into your pool.
[url=http://ezautofill.com/]http://ezautofill.com/[/url][/quote]

It is already installed under the concrete deck and about 3" below the bottom of the tile so the automatic filler in the link would have to be modified I think as the pictures for it show the fill line coming out in the tile but thanks. I’ll research some more but I guess I’m coming to the realization that not everything needs to be z-wave or whatever to be automatic!

Hey there,

For my pool i was looking at an electronic solution till i finally decided that salt water and electrics dont play nice.

I eventually got a 150 dia PVC, glued an end cap on one end, cut it 600 long and glued a screw on cap on the other end. I then put a toilet cistern fill valve inside with a 40mm connection to my pool and then just set it to stop at the right height, drilled an overflow above that height and plumbed that away for when it rains and my pool over fills… job done and has been maitenance free and worry free for 2 years now.

I can take a few photos of my setup if you think its something that you would be interested in looking at?

[quote=“doinitsideways, post:23, topic:195122”]Hey there,

For my pool i was looking at an electronic solution till i finally decided that salt water and electrics dont play nice.

I eventually got a 150 dia PVC, glued an end cap on one end, cut it 600 long and glued a screw on cap on the other end. I then put a toilet cistern fill valve inside with a 40mm connection to my pool and then just set it to stop at the right height, drilled an overflow above that height and plumbed that away for when it rains and my pool over fills… job done and has been maitenance free and worry free for 2 years now.

I can take a few photos of my setup if you think its something that you would be interested in looking at?[/quote]

Sorry. Just saw this now. Please do! Thanks.

No worries, ill grab some this weekend and post them along with a parts list from bunnings to show what it cost me.

Cheers,

Josh

I have enabled extra AUX. I do want to control light colors, but any control at all would be a good start. Are you saying that lights will be one of the Extra Aux?

I did this by placing the Ecolink Zwave Plus Flood & Freeze Sensor, White (FLF-ZWAVE5-ECO) in a waterproof box from Amazon and mounted the sensor under a ledge on my fountain so rain wouldn’t accidentally activated it and send false notification. Works fine when water level gets too high, usually from a clogged drain, it sends me an alert.