Foscam IP Camera Plugin

@mcvflorin,

Thank you for the prompt reply. There is a great deal of activity on this thread because tying Remote Cameras to Vera is very important to a large number of MCV customers.

I had many questions over the weekend. After your email, I think I now where to begin to resolve them.
The first thing that I need to be do is to provide the MAC address and the IP address of the Vera Unit on the Camera Motion Sensor Advanced tab. This is not intuitive, because in the Advanced tab of the Camera model, you want the MAC address and IP address of the camera itself. The field names are the same, but the information they require is very different. Would it be possible to provide different names for these fields to minimize confusion?

Under this set of circumstances, the id_parent field in the Camera Motion Sensor Advanced tab is critical because it is the only way that Vera knows the Camera parent of the Motion Sensor child.

I have a question regarding the new Camera Motion Sensor and emails: Do I use the Notifications tab of the Camera Sensor Device to tell Vera where to send emails in case the Camera Motion Sensor is tripped?

Interesting enough though, I asked the Vera 3 unit to take a picture when the motion sensor detected motion and it only takes a picture when motion is sensed, regardless of what the sensor device is actually showing
When I looked at this yesterday, this appeared to be a one way street, once the plugin enables the motion notification within the camera, setting the UI motion detector to Bypass only disengages Vera's trigger part, motion detection is still enabled on the camera.

@mcvflorin, presets 1 - 6 work great, any plans on adding 7 & 8 to the device?
Also, I’m sure users will be asking for the presets to be added into automation, so that triggers can move the camera to a preset.

I have noticed the same thing. I started having the problem after I adjusted the “Ontime” setting down to 10 minutes (600 seconds). For almost a day, none of the motion sensor went green although they continued to correctly register motion (“last trip” time updated and I got photos both through the Vera and the camera). Now they have started registering both tripped and not tripped (system reboot?), but the “Ontime” is still at 20 minutes even thought I changed it to 10 minutes.

@mcvflorin

Should there be any values entered for the ip and mac fields of the Foscam Motion Sensor Advanced tab? Also, could you provide .jpg’s that show sample entries for the entire Camera and Motion Sensor Advanced tabs fields for dthe Foscam Camera app? The sample .jpg’s that you have provided thus far do no show the full Advanced settings and I wonder if I am missing values or if I have values in the wrong locations.

I have not been able as yet to get the new Camera Motion Sensor to work. The camera works fine, but the Motion Sensor is still not functional.

That’s probably because the camera sent motion notifications at time intervals less than 20 minutes.

There was a bug in the plugin: the OnTime value was only initialized, but never read. I fixed it in the new version which I just published.

@silvereagle2208

The camera IP and address can be entered either in the camera’s Settings tab or in the Advanced tab, in the ip and mac fields. The Vera’s IP address must be entered in the VeraAddress field.

[quote=“JOD, post:22, topic:171931”]@mcvflorin, presets 1 - 6 work great, any plans on adding 7 & 8 to the device?
Also, I’m sure users will be asking for the presets to be added into automation, so that triggers can move the camera to a preset.[/quote]

I added presets 7 & 8. Just upload the attached Json and reload Luup. Presets can be used in scenes only from the Advanced section. The action to be used is GoToPreset.

No.

I attached images with the camera Settings and Advanced tabs.

@mcvflorin

My Foscam Camera device Advanced tab is quite different from yours. It appears that all the debugging work I did on the Foscam app did not do it any favors. I have attached images of the Advanced Tab for my Foscam camera. Do you have any ideas what I can do to make my Foscam Advanced tab look more like yours or does it matter?

Your camera’s Advanced tab looks OK. My device was manually created for screenshots purpose, that’s why it lacks several fields.

Updated my Foscam’s with the new plugin today. Everything is working well. Thanks for the enhancements!

@mvcflorin

If my advanced tab looks OK and the Motion Sensor of the Foscam module does not appear to work for any of my five cameras (3 Linksys WVC80N and 2 Foscam FI8910W), what would your recommend as a next step? Would it make sense to remove a couple of the cameras and let Vera refind them?

[quote=“silvereagle2208, post:30, topic:171931”]@mvcflorin

If my advanced tab looks OK and the Motion Sensor of the Foscam module does not appear to work for any of my five cameras (3 Linksys WVC80N and 2 Foscam FI8910W), what would your recommend as a next step? Would it make sense to remove a couple of the cameras and let Vera refind them?[/quote]

I am in the same situation. The cameras are working well (love the addition of presets with the latest firmware), but my motion sensors are completely non-functional. I know the cameras are still sensing motion since I am receiving the motion emails directly from the camera but the Vera isn’t registering anything. I have reset Vera, reset the cameras, deleted and reinstalled the cameras and still am getting nothing from the three motion sensors.

Any chance of having the motion for Foscam FI8904W cams?

@silvereagle2208 and @Trotsky40

The last plugin version (2.1) had a major flaw: it worked correctly only for one camera. I published a new version today (2.2) that fixes that flaw and some other bugs. However, for the fix to work you have to tell the plugin to reconfigure the cameras: find the ConfiguredMD variable in the camera’s Advanced tab, set it to 1 and Save.

This should work for all the Foscam cameras that can send notifications when motion is detected. Have you tried it and it didn’t work?

i can’t get it to work for 8904’s. These cams have no positioning capability but do have motion. I am getting a little confused as to which settings have to be set with what though.

Foscam 8904

Cam

8904 continued

@ mcvflorin

The new update seems to fix everything. Thank you for the speed of the updates/fixes!

I have a question that may not be related to the Foscam plugin. I have one camera that resets once or twice a day (a defective camera I’m sure, but it is not severe enough for me to bother with returning it). This results in the camera being offline for 15-20 minutes.

I had been running it on port 8093, but I noticed that when Vera loses communication for a period of time it appears to attempt to connect on the default port of 80. I would then have to input the correct port 8093 back in Vera, communication would be re-established, life is good… until the next reset. So my next thought was to change the LAN side port on the camera to 80 (leaving the external WAN port at 8093 for my other Foscam software). The thinking was that Vera would continue to check port 80 until the camera was back online, communication would be re-established, life would be good…

However, Vera appears to “give up” on the camera and doesn’t seem to try to re-establish communication after a period of time. I have only given it about an hour, but will Vera eventually try to re-establish communication or is there a setting I can adjust to make this happen?

@mcvflorin

How do I get my Vera3 to download the new Foscam app Version 2.2? My Vera3 MyApps tab shows that I am still running Version 2.1. However, when I click on the Foscam app title it shows Version 2.2.

Because I am still running Version 2.1 might be the reason why my Vera3 system will not accept a ConfiguredMD value of 1 on any of my five cameras. After a Save, the value is reset to 2 during the Save process. I had a couple of cameras where the 1 value remained for a couple of minutes, but in the end all of the cameras had a ConfiguredMD value of 2.

What is the purpose of the ConfiguredMD variable?

[quote=“Trotsky40, post:37, topic:171931”]@ mcvflorin

The new update seems to fix everything. Thank you for the speed of the updates/fixes!

I have a question that may not be related to the Foscam plugin. I have one camera that resets once or twice a day (a defective camera I’m sure, but it is not severe enough for me to bother with returning it). This results in the camera being offline for 15-20 minutes.

I had been running it on port 8093, but I noticed that when Vera loses communication for a period of time it appears to attempt to connect on the default port of 80. I would then have to input the correct port 8093 back in Vera, communication would be re-established, life is good… until the next reset. So my next thought was to change the LAN side port on the camera to 80 (leaving the external WAN port at 8093 for my other Foscam software). The thinking was that Vera would continue to check port 80 until the camera was back online, communication would be re-established, life would be good…

However, Vera appears to “give up” on the camera and doesn’t seem to try to re-establish communication after a period of time. I have only given it about an hour, but will Vera eventually try to re-establish communication or is there a setting I can adjust to make this happen?[/quote]

Do you happen to have the mac address field for this camera entered with the camera’s mac address? If you do, Vera will loose communication with the camera if it is not on port 80. Meaning if the mac address field has the mac address of the camera in it and the camera is on another port other than port 80, you will experience connection issues. To correct this, you can remove the mac address from the mac address field and all should be well.

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:39, topic:171931”][quote=“Trotsky40, post:37, topic:171931”]@ mcvflorin

However, Vera appears to “give up” on the camera and doesn’t seem to try to re-establish communication after a period of time. I have only given it about an hour, but will Vera eventually try to re-establish communication or is there a setting I can adjust to make this happen?[/quote]

Do you happen to have the mac address field for this camera entered with the camera’s mac address? If you do, Vera will loose communication with the camera if it is not on port 80. Meaning if the mac address field has the mac address of the camera in it and the camera is on another port other than port 80, you will experience connection issues. To correct this, you can remove the mac address from the mac address field and all should be well.

• Garrett[/quote]

Yes, I do have the MAC address field entered to use photo archiving feature. I’ll take it on this camera to see if it resolves the issue. Thank you for the information.