Fibaro Wiring

Somfy offers a lot of options which is great but it’s also quite expensive. In contrast to Somfy, Fibaro is inexpensive and it also allows hard wiring of the wall switch which I like. However, I am quite concerned about the wiring. It seems I would need

• a 14/3 (4 wire) cabling from the motor to a central location where the Fibaro is located
  • an additional 2 wire AC cable from the switch to the Fibaro which mostly will run side-by-side to the 14/3 cable (as the switches and motors are in the same room but the central location is relatively far)
  • junction boxes for all these 110V cables
  • Ethernet cable if I want to have some provisions for a different controller/switch and DC motor in the future

I imagine this will add a lot of cost (even without that Ethernet cable). So my questions are if you also did that same setup, cable runs (to ONE central location) and what the approximate cost for that was.

No, I didn’t run all my cables to a single location. For my electric Dooya curtains, I only make a custom hole in the wall and use a coaxial cable plate without the coaxial part in the middle. I passed the motor cable inside the hole and the installation look great. Then, behind that plate, I wire the motor wires and AC to the fibaro module. Then, I run an AC wire from the switch at the bottom of the wall to the plate near the celling. That it. Was very simple and no visible wires at all except the small wire from the motor to the wall plate.

Im happy with that setup. And if I want to add manual switch later, I just need to pass a wire from the wall plate to the middle of the wall and put the switch there.

thanks peterluc8080. How do you control the shades? Through the vera app on your phone/tablet? Also how responsive is it? Do you think this is/would work well enough to adjust the angle of the blades of venetian blinds?

If I understood your setup correctly, the Fibaro is very close to the shades behind the sheetrock. Did you put it there before you put on the sheetrock? If so, how are you going to access it if you decide to wire a switch or if the Fibaro breaks and needs to be replaced? Will you have to open the sheetrock or is there a big cut-out behind the coaxial cable plate to unscrew and remove the Fibaro?

Finally, at your location is this installation conform to code?

What @peterluc8080 did is pretty typical. It is up to code if there is a junction box behind the coaxial cable plate he used. The controller remains accessible through the removable coaxial cable wall plate.

Here is the Fibaro wiring diagram, you can either homerun a 4-wire cable to a central location (typically done in new construction) or place the ZWave motor controller at the window. It looks like the switch leg for the Fibaro controller uses high voltage so you’d need to use appropriate wire. The AC1-ZW could be specially ordered with switch leads and offer low voltage switching, FYI. The Fibaro controller’s advantage is that it is rather small so it should fit in a single gang junction box, or a deep version of the same box. The AC1-ZW and ABMHZ controller are much larger and might be better suited for the homeruns of wire back to a central location.

Also make sure your controller supports Tilt for Venetian blinds, it may not be possible with a Shutter controller.