Fibaro RGBW Controller

[quote=“tcasey75, post:280, topic:175646”]I’m trying to install a system, I have 5 balconies that I want to put RGBW light strips on, I want them all controlled by one FIBARO RGBW Controller thru my Vera system but I want each balcony individually controllable via a zwave dimmable wall switch for off/on and dimming.

I’m having a hard time figuring out how to do have each balcony have it’s own zwave dimmable switch when they are after the FIBARO RGBW Controller. Any suggestions?[/quote]

I like this, but it isn’t going to be very easy. If you need each balcony to dim independently, but be controlled by a single controller, you will need five amplifiers (which are pretty cheap on Amazon). Since you are working with 12V or 24V and you want to control the brightness with an in wall dimmer, you will have to have an interface (either Z-Wave or WiFi) that will take the dimmer level from an in wall z wave switch (I’m thinking a Linear WTZ 3 way switch, but I’m unsure if this switch works unless paired to a friend like the WD500Z or similar). I would probably build five identical Arduino based boards that handle the level shift before feeding the amplifier. The chain would look like this:

--> Arduino Level Shifter (1) --> RGBW Amplifier --> RGBW Strip
                                                     --> Arduino Level Shifter (2) --> RGBW Amplifier --> RGBW Strip

12/24v DC → Fibaro RGBW Controller → Arduino Level Shifter (3) → RGBW Amplifier → RGBW Strip
→ Arduino Level Shifter (4) → RGBW Amplifier → RGBW Strip
→ Arduino Level Shifter (5) → RGBW Amplifier → RGBW Strip

I don’t know of any prebuilt Z-Wave DC dimmers or you could go that route and skip the Arduino/microcontroller portion of this task. I also don’t know if there are any switches you can put in the wall and not hook up to a load but still control a device’s dim level. Someone else may be more knowledgeable about this project, but I think there is a lot of work and research involved no matter which way you go!

Hey All,

Looking for some help, I have just finished my Garden install using x2 Fibaro RGBW Controllers x1 for RGBW Strips and x1 is used as a 4 Channel controller for the Stair and Deck lights.

All is working fine but i want to setup the 4 Channel controller with a staggered Scene I.E. When Motion Detected turn on Channel 1 then delay for half a second or one second then channel 2 then same delay then repeat for channel 3 and 4.

I have tried to do this in the simple scene editor but not having much success. Was hoping to get a bit of LUUP code that i could just have all of the Delay and Turning on within that code and just have a scene that is when Motion is detected run the code :slight_smile:

Any help would be great have read thru and searched the forum but cant find what im looking for.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile: ;D

I am looking at using a Fibaro Universal Zwave RGBW Controller. One of the things I want to do is be able to put LED strips for Bias lighting behind my TV, and it sounds like Vera can let me set a scene so that the bias lighting only comes on when I am watching TV. I have a couple of questions, being new to all of this:

1. Can I just have one 12/24v power supply run the Fibraro + LED strips (likely not much power will be required for something behind a 65" TV)? I only have one outlet and not much room behind the TV, so the less clutter the better.

2. When it says that this can control four channels, I assume this means I could control four different LED runs independently (provided they are wired to the unit directly)?

[quote=“EvilMonkey, post:283, topic:175646”]I am looking at using a Fibaro Universal Zwave RGBW Controller. One of the things I want to do is be able to put LED strips for Bias lighting behind my TV, and it sounds like Vera can let me set a scene so that the bias lighting only comes on when I am watching TV. I have a couple of questions, being new to all of this:

1. Can I just have one 12/24v power supply run the Fibraro + LED strips (likely not much power will be required for something behind a 65" TV)? I only have one outlet and not much room behind the TV, so the less clutter the better.

2. When it says that this can control four channels, I assume this means I could control four different LED runs independently (provided they are wired to the unit directly)?[/quote]
    The 4 channels would normally bered green blue white but 4 runs each one colour (white?) would be possible. You can work out total load and if not long strips you should be fine.

[quote=“Slartibartfast, post:284, topic:175646”][quote=“EvilMonkey, post:283, topic:175646”]I am looking at using a Fibaro Universal Zwave RGBW Controller. One of the things I want to do is be able to put LED strips for Bias lighting behind my TV, and it sounds like Vera can let me set a scene so that the bias lighting only comes on when I am watching TV. I have a couple of questions, being new to all of this:

2. When it says that this can control four channels, I assume this means I could control four different LED runs independently (provided they are wired to the unit directly)?[/quote]
    The 4 channels would normally bered green blue white but 4 runs each one colour (white?) would be possible. You can work out total load and if not long strips you should be fine.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick response! I’m starting to wonder if just using my Harmony remote to LED via IR + Vera can accomplish what I am looking to do.

[quote=“EvilMonkey, post:285, topic:175646”][quote=“Slartibartfast, post:284, topic:175646”][quote=“EvilMonkey, post:283, topic:175646”]I am looking at using a Fibaro Universal Zwave RGBW Controller. One of the things I want to do is be able to put LED strips for Bias lighting behind my TV, and it sounds like Vera can let me set a scene so that the bias lighting only comes on when I am watching TV. I have a couple of questions, being new to all of this:

The 4 channels would normally bered green blue white but 4 runs each one colour (white?) would be possible. You can work out total load and if not long strips you should be fine.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick response! I’m starting to wonder if just using my Harmony remote to LED via IR + Vera can accomplish what I am looking to do.[/quote]

This can usually be accomplished on most newer TVs by purchasing the bias lighting LED strips that has a USB connector on it. Plug it into one of your TV’s USB ports (my Samsung has three at varying amperage) and stick it on the back of the TV. When the TV turns on, the USB port turns on and the lights turn on. Turn the TV off and the lights go off. There shouldn’t be a need for a ~$70 controller that you’re only going to use for a couple feet of lighting unless you want to change the color or play the animations. I like your idea of IR + Harmony Hub, I would investigate that route first if you need it visible to automation.

Anyone have recommendations for good quality strips or pucks to go with this? It would also be nice to have UL or ETL or similar.

Thanks

Hi

So I bought an Amazon Echo recently and I am using the software HA Bridge to integrate Vera devices and scenes with Alexa.

For the Fibaro RGBW module, I can turn it On / Off with voice commands “Alexa turn on TV back light” etc.

I have also added my Vera scenes which start the various in-built Fibaro RGBW animations to the HA bridge, so can say “Alexa turn on animation storm” or “Alexa turn on animation fireplace” etc.

One thing I cannot do is say “Alexa set TV backlight to Red” or what ever basic solid colour.

I guess I would need to know the luup command to set the RGBW controller to the colour RED? and I could then add that to a Vera scene and then import that scene in to the HA Bridge for Alexa / voice control etc.

Anyone doing something like this ?

Thanks

EDIT:

This works and sets it to RED colour:

luup.call_action("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1", "SetColorTarget", {newColorTargetValue = "#FF00000000"}, 139)

Well it works “Alexa turn on TV red” and the TV LED backlights go red in colour.

Actually there is an easier way in the advanced editor of a scene you can select the RGBW device and select SetColour and then just enter your desired hex colour code, see screen shot.

However seems I cannot do the same thing for a Philips Hue light using the Hue plug-in for Vera? See here.

I’m looking to do a run of about 76 feet of RGBW lighting with a Fibaro controller. I know the max power is rated at about 288W, and with this setup I’m looking at 360W. Has anyone gone that far past the rating with success? I guess the alternative would be to wire up the two separately with two controllers, but that would add quite a bit to the cost.

You could use a RGBW amplifier to provide extra capacity at a small extra cost. Power half the load direct from the Fibaro and also feed this to the amplifier. The amplifier can then feed the rest of the load. Extra cost, less than 20 GBP.
Make sure the dc power supply is fully rated.

You could use a RGBW amplifier to provide extra capacity at a small extra cost. Power half the load direct from the Fibaro and also feed this to the amplifier. The amplifier can then feed the rest of the load. Extra cost, less than 20 GBP.
Make sure the dc power supply is fully rated.[/quote]

I was thinking about that (after I posted). Wouldn’t I have to wire it so that it went PSU->Fibaro->Rope1->Amp->Rope2? If so, that’d make wiring a mess since I was planning on just having one point of access for power.

I was thinking about that (after I posted). Wouldn’t I have to wire it so that it went PSU->Fibaro->Rope1->Amp->Rope2? If so, that’d make wiring a mess since I was planning on just having one point of access for power.[/quote]

Never used an amplifier so I cannot guarantee but I don’t see why you should. The amplifier should be able to take its signal from the Fibaro which also drives rope 1. The amp then drives rope 2. The dc supply drives the Fibaro and the amp in parallel.
You could use one amp to feed rope 1 and rope 2 but that means a bigger more expensive amp.
I don’t use an amp but I feed 4 ropes (each quite short) in parallel so I don’t see any real difference.

I was thinking about that (after I posted). Wouldn’t I have to wire it so that it went PSU->Fibaro->Rope1->Amp->Rope2? If so, that’d make wiring a mess since I was planning on just having one point of access for power.[/quote]

Never used an amplifier so I cannot guarantee but I don’t see why you should. The amplifier should be able to take its signal from the Fibaro which also drives rope 1. The amp then drives rope 2. The dc supply drives the Fibaro and the amp in parallel.
You could use one amp to feed rope 1 and rope 2 but that means a bigger more expensive amp.
I don’t use an amp but I feed 4 ropes (each quite short) in parallel so I don’t see any real difference.[/quote]

Ah, okay, I didn’t really consider driving both lines in parallel. So the wiring would be like:

PSU->Fibaro->Line1
->Amp->Line2
?

How does that reduce the power that the Fibaro unit has going through it then? Or does the Amp take in it’s own power supply connection? So that way I can evenly split the two?

The amp will need the dc supply connected directly so it powers the rope. The Fibaro connection to the amp only provides voltage levels and need not be considered as load.

yep, you have to use an amp for two reasons.

Your original method of wanting to run it all from the one point wont work as a single led strip of 76 feet wont be able to carry enough power to run them all even if the fibaro module could supply enough. You’d overload the power lines on the strip.
The fibaro module can’t supply enough power any way.

I’ve attached an image of how they are wired up. You can use the one power supply if you need to or use two power supplies like in the image. Remember that the power supply needs to be powerful enough for the whole strip if you want to use the one supply.

My rough sketch below.
If you only split the tape into two lengths, they will still both be quite long. To avoid volt drop and therefore dimming at the far ends, you could feed both ends of the tape at the same time.

Okay, thanks. If I can indeed wire the PSU to both the Fibaro and the amp for the other line at the same time, then that should work for me. I was thinking I’d need to wire it as MarcusB posted above with the Amp (and an additional) PSU in between line #1 and line #2.

If you have not yet purchased the amp and PSU I suggest you send your proposed scheme to the supplier to confirm they will work together as desired. Just tell them that the Fibaro is an RGBW source and they should have enough info.

Hi all,

I spend many hours to try to start animated programm from Fibaro RGBW 442 through a lua code.
Here is my code :
luup.variable_set( ‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1’, ‘ConfiguredVariable’, ‘157,1d,7,’, 48 )
luup.variable_set( ‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1’, ‘VariablesSet’, ‘157,1d,7,’, 48)

And in advanced tab i put the reconfigure parameter on the fiabaro module.

But after that, the vera can’t control anymore the Fibaro…
Fibaro is not blocked becaus if i restore the vera to previous backup, I can take the hand again on the modul

What can be this problem, ! really don’t have any idea…