Ezlo Plus, Smart Plugs and Microwave ovens

We are trying to use smart plugs to monitor the energy uses of various appliances with the Ezlo Plus controller. We are running into a problem with some microwave ovens. They overload the switches, and the switches turn off when the oven is run. We are seeing this problem with the Aeotec Smart Switch 7 (ZWA023-A), and the Zooz Z-Wave Plus Power Switch (ZEN15).

The Aeotec Smart Switch 6 (ZW096) does not overload, but it will not report power when used with the Ezlo Plus controller.

The Zooz ZEN15 is intended for high power applications, including microwave ovens, but the higher power ovens still overload it.

Is anyone else having similar issues with smart plugs and microwave ovens? Has anyone figured out how to get the Smart Switch 6 to report wattage? Or know of a z-wave smart switch that works with high power microwave ovens?

According to Aeotec’s specs for the ZWA023-A, it should support a continuous resistive load of 120V at 15Z, which is equal to 1800W. If the microwave oven isn’t exceeding that load (1800W), then the device shouldn’t turn off. If it does, you would need to check with the manufacturer why it is turning off when not even reaching its max capacity.

The Zooz ZEN15 also reports a max load of 1800W (120V * 15A) but does not specify whether this is for a resistive, capacitive or inductive load. Usually, microwave ovens are considered a resistive load, but you could check with your trusted electrician whether or not your is as well.

I know with Atom and PlugHub, after factory resetting the switch and adding it back, it does report watts, but I have not yet tested on the Ezlo Plus and Ezlo Secure. Gonna try to find one of those at the office and test, then update here.

1 Like

I couldn’t find an Aeotec Smart Switch 6 US here, only EU units, so I couldn’t test it, but please do give it a try by excluding the switch, reset it to factory defaults and then include it again to see if it starts reporting watts as it does on Atom/PlugHub. It does not report as often as it does on Vera, though, so do give it a minute or two after you plug something into and turn it on. If it still doesn’t report energy use, there isn’t much we can do other than creating the integration request for Ezlo Plus and Ezlo Secure, and hope that it is fulfilled considering the device is still commercially available in some stores, including Amazon. By the way, please confirm is your smart switch 6 is model number ZW096 or ZW110.