Ezlo controllers Beta enrollment starts now

Memory usage has nothing to do with CPU speed.
Its the way its architected, where they may have to load everything before they execute because they don’t do a proper memory management.
The system slow down will only happen when you run things in parallel.
So the question is: What will you be running in parallel that will slow down a 200MHz system? Put all 231 lights on at the same time? Seriously all I see in home automation is “bloated” software done by hardware people who know nothing about how to write software! (sorry to be blunt). And all the users are brainwashed by hardware people to demand the next big CPU…

and we do all that under 500Kilobytes in our RTOS! our webserver is 25KB if no SSL 31KB if SSL… All zwave stack hand crafted from scratch to be efficient and fast.
I really am amazed to see that people here claim they are technical people but totally ignore the OS and FW performance issues for CPU and only think CPU matters…

You guys have been used to software written by hardware people for far too long…

Parallelism comes in the collisions. Can you monitor that Hue hub over local IP, do your system maintenance, handle a scene edit while triggering an event based on internet weather reports,run that data logging app the user installed and update the two wall tablets?

If you get the prioritizing right, probably close enough to keep the user happy. But getting that prioritization right is a big if. Can you tell a non-time sensitive data logging app from a plugin that controls a web-based light? How far behind can your tablet refresh lag before it irritates users? Can you delay the system maintenance task or will it cause other issues later?

As for hardware vs software, your web server may use that little ram if you aren’t caching any icons, which pushes the load to your storage. Does more ram make lazy coders or does the search for a mythical efficiency come at the expense of flash life? Tech weenies can argue about ram footprint vs flash life for days, weeks if you add in engineering expenses for optimizing code.

Users will want to know “will this slow down when I add the Kasa plugin?” “If I access a camera remotely, will the lights still respond quickly to the voice assistant?” “If I add this data logger, does the device thrash when six automations trigger at the same time?” “When I have 40 devices does the app make that comprehensible or does the UI go all squirrely from the javascript loop?”
“How long will it take to get support for (new hot thing)?”

I am the skeptical HA curmudgeon who’s going to look at competitors and say “There are four engineering teams who have failed to produce infinite punch and pie, what trade off are you making?”

ou, as CEO/owner, are the corporate cheerleader so you’ll say “Relax, its gonna be awesome! Punch and pie for all!”"

I expect some punch and some pie but not for all. Or, if for all, then for a price that doesn’t make sense. You expect to prove me wrong.

When your products come out we will see if you did give punch and pie for all at a price worth buying.

Until then, I will look at the data in official posts and compare it to your competitors because I don’t have a product to test.

(Semi-off topic: I worked with a programmer who wrote assembly modules for a C based real-time telecom billing system. It was hyper fast…until the SGI hardware it ran on was EOL and it had to be moved to x86.
My point is optimization targets specific use cases. These days the $ cost of more powerful hardware vs opportunity cost of not supporting a wider range of use cases is not an automatic pass.)

Hi
Thank you

Hello
will the plus plus version also be available in test version?

@kigmatzomat
at least you agree that CPU power alone is not an indication of the overall system performance. Glad someone understands that.

Beta development task.
I have used V1s, still have three V3s running, and three Vera Plus.
Went from UI5 to UI7.
If anyone drops out would be happy to get in on the Beta testing.
I’m retired SVP from Cellular and Cable cos.
Ham radio
Crestron programmer but limiting to my personal, two friends and remote for two remaining systems my Nephew’s Home automation company has (they went full Control 4) all comp by the way as a hobby.
Installed and maintain the three(3) Vera 3 for friends, still in-service; I want them to be changed out.
Installed and maintain the converted three(3) Vera 3s to Vera Plus, still in-service.
Jerry

2 Likes

@jerrywolfer looking forward to working with you on this beta!
thank you for taking part.

Looking forward for them in the mail!

1 Like

Hi!

@melih, is it possible to migrate from Vera to Ezlo easily (with a backup file or so), or do I have to exclude and include every device - device by device?
Have a nice day!
/Fanan

A bunch of us Vera users have asked the same thing over the past few weeks, only to learn the answer is a hard “No!” There will be no migration path from Vera controllers over to ezlo hardware. :sob:

You’d have to exclude and then re-include every device manually.

However, future firmware revisions on both the Vera and ezlo platforms will (from all accounts) be known as “ezlo firmware” so there’s at least a chance your existing setup may one day “live on a Vera running ezlo firmware” – in which case, let’s hope your Z-Wave and Zigbee devices all make it through that process intact.

1 Like

You can’t have it all… New hardware, new type of firmware, and hopefully a lot more stable compared to the old firmware/hardware. That is worth a full day of reconfiguring everything for me… Maybe migration comes later, can’t blame them, let’s first give them time to make a stable base, migration is less important for me than a good stable base.

3 Likes

at least we leave on a clean installation

What about the option to shift controller, won’t this save the exclude/include ?

1 Like

having done this recently (and still working on it), i wish it was a simple one day thing. going on day 4 now of re-creating everything…

3 Likes

Not only will devices have to be re-included all logic etc will have to be redone. On top of that if the plugins we currently use on Vera are made to work on the Ezlo FW (which I highly doubt all will) those will have to be set up all over again. We will be starting from 0, this includes devs and end users. I will most likely move to OpenLuup.

2 Likes

4 days?!? I moved 30+ devices to Homeseer on a saturday and recreated a couple dozen scenes/luup/PLEG rules on the sunday.

If the ezlo enrollment is faster, you can probably use it for dis-enrollment as well. I used homeseer to unenroll all my devices and it was way faster than ui7.

1 Like

I dont se any problem with move all my 40 devices to a new controller… Feels fresh to do a clean new start with a new controller… I guess it would take me a day or two…

I have a lot more then 40 devices so my plan is to move a little at a time. Once they have a stable version of the Ezlo firmware available for the VeraPlus I will look in to moving things over little by little.
How fast things can be moved depends on the automation logic capabilities of the Ezlo firmware, have some fancy PLEG logic that might not be so easily implemented in the new environment.
For me it will be a process that may take a month or 2 but i’m in no hurry, this is a hobby for me.

If including isn’t as slow/tricky as with the Vera hardware then migration shouldn’t be a problem. I think not all devices will be supported at the beginning, so I’ll migrate the devices as they are available/supported by the Ezlo hardware.

I see the problem that I will have is that a lot of my automation is linked to many devices. So if I can’t move all the devices of a particular Reactor, I’m not going to be able to move any until they are all supported.

Too much interconnection to do anything other than a big bang, and it’s going to take me a lot longer than a day.

C

1 Like