Expected long term unattended operation with VeraEdge

Hello,
I’m still using my X-10 system but have seen the Z-wave capability and plan move to Z-wave, probably with a VeraEdge. I see this forum is an awesome resource and generally a lot of good folks involved.

My X-10 controller is rock solid (for nearly 15 years). Periodically some light will not come on of go off properly but the controller has literally gone for years with out a hiccup. I will periodically tweak a time of such but that is all.

I realize this forum exists to help with problems and push the limits of home automation so I’ m hoping it is mostly represented by those with problems or are embarking on advanced operability.

I expect to use the VeraEdge for lighting an maybe a thermostat. No security. I do wish to run triggered scenes.

All that to ask my question: Is it unreasonable to expect the VeraEdge, once a stable setup is attained, to run for a year or more without having to attend to some issue?
What about power outages?

Thanks for reading. :slight_smile:

Regards,

JohnRob

As far as power outages go, put the Edge on a full size UPS and it should be able to run for at least an hour on battery if not more.

My main Vera 3 on UI5 runs solid and I rarely have issues with it. I have it on a schedule to reboot monthly to make sure it gets all internal stuff cleared. My Ui7 Vera 3 is pretty stable as well but I am a few firmware behind.

@Johnrob,

Welcome to the forum!!

I have a Vera Edge in my grandmothers property which is about 450 miles away from me, and I have to say it has been rock solid since day 1, only time it ever gets a boot is when there is a new firmware that needs to be installed, it only has a couple of wall plugs, two door sensors, two Fibro 4-in-1 sensors and four IP cameras.

I also have a Vera 3 in my property and a Vera Lite in a small comms room that I manage.

No problems running it at all and its plugged into a APC UPS which works fine and also provides back up power for the router.

I have seen small DC UPS which fit in between the Vera and other 6-12V devices and can provide up to 120 minutes run time depending on the power draw.

I am sure that lots of members here will confirm the running of the Vera units, but it is always good to give them a bounce once in a while.

Regards,

Mike

Thank you both for the response. I feel much more comfortable that I am on the right path.

I do however have a question regarding the UPS suggestion and operation. I included the power question because I read the VeraEdge does not have a battery backup RTC. So I was wondering how it would recover from a power outage.
Will it:

1. Need to be reset manually
  2. Power up and have the wrong time
  3. Power up and have the wrong time but get /try to get the correct time from the internet.
  4. Power up and have the correct time (at least close).

I’m not keen on the UPS suggestion because my controller will only be powering lighting which won’t matter if the power is out.

Regards

JohnRob

[quote=“JohnRob, post:4, topic:190700”]Thank you both for the response. I feel much more comfortable that I am on the right path.

I do however have a question regarding the UPS suggestion and operation. I included the power question because I read the VeraEdge does not have a battery backup RTC. So I was wondering how it would recover from a power outage.
Will it:

1. Need to be reset manually
  2. Power up and have the wrong time
  3. Power up and have the wrong time but get /try to get the correct time from the internet.
  4. Power up and have the correct time (at least close).

I’m not keen on the UPS suggestion because my controller will only be powering lighting which won’t matter if the power is out.

Regards

JohnRob[/quote]

In general it powers backup and works just fine after a power outtage.

The time problem…
When VERA boots up it looks for time online. If it boots up faster then your internet does (modem/router/switch) then it will fail to pickup the correct time and time can and will be way off. I don’t think it pickups where it stopped. I have no UPS and don’t have any problems but maybe luck of the draw that vera isn’t as fast as my router.

None of the vera’s have backup batteries (vera secure says when it’s released in half a year from now it will). Even the older Vera lite didn’t have backup batteries it had batteries to walk around and include devices, but they didn’t kick in when power went out.

The time problem will only be an issue if you have timers set in vera for lighting. If the time is wrong on vera and you have lights come on a certain time of the day that will not be correct. If you are not setting and automatic timer you will have nothing to worry about.

I would suggest stick with just the vera to start and see how everything goes. There are other options if you need them. For example if you ever need to reboot a vera but you don;t plan on being around it. you can get a wifi outlet like Belkin WEMO (http://www.amazon.com/WeMo-Enabled-Electronics-anywhere-Compatible/dp/B00BB2MMNE) and plug it in then plugin vera. That outlet works off the wifi and not threw vera, so you can use a wemo app on your phone to power cycle (unplug) vera while your away. If you ever need to correct time, recover from a failed update or if it stops responding this would probley cover you since you.

Get a Belkin “Residential Gateway Battery Backup”.

Provides 12vDC power with the std 2.1mm barrel plug. Gives about 3-4 hours of power to something with the current draw of the VERA. Use one normal lead-acid 12V 7A-hr UPS battery.

No need to get an UPS which turns 12V (or 24V) battery power into 120V so you can plug your wall wort into it and turn it back to 12V.

The best part about it is they are cheap. They are selling new on Ebay for $35.

I can’t speak for vera edge, but uptime on my veralite reports the last reboot was almost a year ago.

Others may have many issues about luup stability, but for me, vera as a platform has been pretty solid (almost 3 years now).