Evolve LTM-5 as 3-way switch

I cannot figure out how to make these Evolve LTM-5 switches operate as a 3-way switch to control a light already controlled by another Evolve LSM-15. I am using a Vera 2. Please help…

@phutureman,

Welcome!

Create an On and an Off scene, with event a scene is activated and scene number 255 and 0 respectively.

THANKS! I can’t believe how little instruction and support there is with this stuff. Now if I can figure out how to include and program these LEVITON 4-zone controllers, I will be in good shape.

Include: hold buttons 1+3 until blinking amber LEDs, then start the inclusion on Vera.

Program: create an On and an Off scene, with event a scene is activated and a scene is de-activated respectively and scene number corresponding to the button number (top to bottom, 1 through 4).

How would you incorporate this with the dimmer in when replacing both in an existing installation?

Assume power is going to one of the boxes. In a traditional installation, power would go to the common of the switch, two conductors would be used as travellers to the other switch, and the neutral would be passed through to the lamp.

What would the new wiring look like?

It depends on the current wiring, so a diagram (or description) of your actual layout would be best. But in general you would repurpose at least one wire to bring permanent hot over to the virtual 3-way. And possibly a second to be the load wire from the primary switch.

It depends on the current wiring, so a diagram (or description) of your actual layout would be best. But in general you would repurpose at least one wire to bring permanent hot over to the virtual 3-way. And possibly a second to be the load wire from the primary switch.[/quote]

Both switches will be swapped out for aesthetics, but I clued in - no matter where the power is going to, with 3 conductors between the switches there are a lot of options for wiring.

Key is to understand how ‘everything’ is currently wired up: identify the wires that connect box #1 and box #2, identify the wires that supply power, identify the wires that connect to your light.

Example: All of it (i.e. both incoming power and the connection to the light) could be in, say, box #1. Then that’s where your primary switch would go. If there’s a 3-wire going to box #2, then you’d cap one wire on both ends, re-connect one wire to permanent hot in box #1 and to the virtual 3-way switch in box #2, and re-connect a third wire to neutral in box #1 and to the virtual 3-way switch in box #2. (Going by U.S. 3-wire romex colors: cap red, use black for hot, use white for neutral.)

[quote=“oTi@, post:8, topic:169398”]Key is to understand how ‘everything’ is currently wired up: identify the wires that connect box #1 and box #2, identify the wires that supply power, identify the wires that connect to your light.

Example: All of it (i.e. both incoming power and the connection to the light) could be in, say, box #1. Then that’s where your primary switch would go. If there’s a 3-wire going to box #2, then you’d cap one wire on both ends, re-connect one wire to permanent hot in box #1 and to the virtual 3-way switch in box #2, and re-connect a third wire to neutral in box #1 and to the virtual 3-way switch in box #2. (Going by U.S. 3-wire romex colors: cap red, use black for hot, use white for neutral.)[/quote]

There’s going to be a 3 conductor cable coming into both switch boxes, power into one of them if it isn’t up at the fixture, and cable going to the fixture for a switchleg in any given scenerio.

You can put the dimmer into whichever box you choose, black from the source as power for either switch, pass it on with red, the neutral as a neutral and the black as a switch leg.

I don’t want to post a diagram here for liability reasons. More than 24,000 US house fires annually caused by electrical and I don’t want to add to it with a picture :slight_smile:

Include: hold buttons 1+3 until blinking amber LEDs, then start the inclusion on Vera.

Program: create an On and an Off scene, with event a scene is activated and a scene is de-activated respectively and scene number corresponding to the button number (top to bottom, 1 through 4).[/quote]

The initial comment related to the Leviton ZOINE controller, not the SCENE controller. They are different, but Vera doesn’t properly support the zZone controller.

Could you elaborate / which zone controller?