Error Accessing UI: Luup engine is taking longer to reload

I am using the Vera3. I added switches and dimmers to my system yesterday, bringing the Vera3 to each location while plugged into the battery pack. The pairing was successful, and I was able to control lights for period of time. But sometime afterwards, after plugging the Vera3 back into the regular power supply, I lost the ability to access the Vera3 UI, and i get the error “Luup engine is taking longer to reload.”.
I have tried connecting directly to the controller via ethernet cable to a lan port, and the results are basically the same, and i am still unable to pull up the dashboard.
From an LED indicator standpoint, right now i have 3 solid green lights for Power, WAN and WIFI.
I have gone through posts, wiki content, documentation, etc…, and due to the various versions of the product (ui5, ui7, veralite, etc…) it is very difficult to discern what steps one should take to address this error message…
I am a relatively new user, so the notion of doing a factory reset would be fine, but even that is very difficult to figure out how to do for the Vera3.
I logged a support case but will likely not hear back til after the weekend.
If anyone has any suggestions as to how best approach, would greatly appreciate it.

I’ve had a similar issue. It went on for for months and I could not figure out what caused it.

I finally rolled up my sleeves and dug into MiOS. I’m a Windows guy and Linux is just not my home turff and probably never will be.

Anyway, it turned out to be an issue with the length of a Scene name. The scene was created back in the days of UI5 and apparently UI6 and also UI7 have a limit to the lengths of the scene names of 32 characters. The scene name was longer than that, so I assume guess the name length was different back in the UI5 days.

The scene was set to run every 90 minutes and hence after 90 minutes the Vera would start to become unstable. It would still run for weeks untouched, but as soon as I started making changes (adding devices, changing scene names, etc. etc.) it would be likely to crash periodically. It would recover from those crashes after approx. 10 - 60 minutes (it would vary). Powing on/off would not change that as it would still be sitting there waiting 10- 60 minutes before the Z-wave light would come on and it would again be fully functional for a while.

Of course it was impossible to do any sort of configuration change on a device that would crash and halt for that long a period of time every time I would a simple change on config!

Here is how I tracked down the bug and the scene that had the name that was too long. I guess that the following process can be used to track down other issues as well:

a) I used WinSCP to access the files on Vera (Note: you’ll find the password for admin user: root on the back of your Vera3 box).
b) in the folder “/tmp/log/chm” there is a file called “LuaUpnP.log”.
c) Open the file and search for string: “LuaUPnP crash”.
d) look at the action/actions happening up until the crash. Is there a pattern in one or more of the preceeding 1-5 steps everytime the Vera crashes?
e) if yes, then investigate that as this could point to the source of the crash.

I hope this helps. You can also call support. They are nice and patient, but in this particular instance they did not find the bug. Maybe, they found other bugs a long the way. I cant rule that out. But finally, I had to find the final bug for myself.

Happy bug hunting!

Kind regards,
Jasper

P.s. The process above was done on UI7 General Availablity Release 7.0.1

A “new” 32 character limit on scene names is an interesting and unexpected issue. This character limit also affects notifications.

I’m glad you found it, thanks for sharing your discovery and your method.

Thank you.

I don’t have a UI5 device anymore, so I really can’t confirm this. However, given that I created the scene and gave it it’s name on UI5 where I had no stability issues with Vera3. And given that I started to see the issues with UI6, UI7 RC and now UI7 Release I feel prette confident that this is the issue.

Also, When I opened the scene in question I was meet with the warning/error that the name was too long.

I encountered this error which was in fact due to the luup engine crashing then starting then crashing immediately then starting … The reason of the crash was apparently one my scene that was planed to run every 15 minutes. 15 minutes after my upgrade from UI5 to UI7, UI was unavailable with this error displayed and lua engine was in an infinite luup of starting/crashing.
After a downgrade to UI5, a suppress of the scheduling for this scene and a new upgrade to UI7, I did not encounter the issue again.

So my current hypothesis is that there is a critical bug in the process of conversion of UI5 scene when scheduling of type “repeat evey xx” was defined for a scene.

PS: my scene has not a long name but has a non ASCII character in its name.

lolodomo:
There definitely was a bug in UI6 that froze the LUA engine when you scheduled a scene to run every X minutes. I reported it many months ago to support. They verified it and said it would be passed up to R&D. I was curious if it still existed in UI7. Guess it does.

I changed my logic to use the countdown plug-in instead of the built-in trigger.

I’m seeing this a lot under UI7 on my Vera Lite. The LUUP engine seems very buggy and I’ve checked that I’ve go no scene names longer than 32 characters. Since I added a scheduled scene that runs every 15 minutes things went downhill :frowning:

I’m seeing these errors reported:

01 10/03/14 15:34:26.887 got CAN <0x2bdc2680>
02 10/03/14 15:34:26.888 ZWaveSerial::Send m_iFrameID 0 got a CAN – Dongle is in a bad state. Wait 1 second before continuing to let it try to recover. <0x2b9c2680>
08 10/03/14 15:34:27.100 Scene::RunScene running 29 SC_Every15Mins <0x2b7c2680>
2014-10-03 15:34:27 - LuaUPnP Terminated with Exit Code: 245
2014-10-03 15:34:27 - LuaUPnP crash

Ok so I have a recurring scene that runs every minute that resets a value in a variable container.

I can WinSCP and SSH to my vera.

How can I remove/disable this scene without using the Vera browser GUI?

[quote=“AEBogdan, post:6, topic:183089”]lolodomo:
There definitely was a bug in UI6 that froze the LUA engine when you scheduled a scene to run every X minutes. I reported it many months ago to support. They verified it and said it would be passed up to R&D. I was curious if it still existed in UI7. Guess it does.

I changed my logic to use the countdown plug-in instead of the built-in trigger.[/quote]is this still an issue? It might explain my repeating crashing issue here do you think? http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,28583.0.html

[quote=“mixedup, post:9, topic:183089”][quote=“AEBogdan, post:6, topic:183089”]lolodomo:

I changed my logic to use the countdown plug-in instead of the built-in trigger.[/quote]is this still an issue? It might explain my repeating crashing issue here do you think? http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,28583.0.html[/quote]

I don’t know (I downgraded to UI5 now) but nothing in the last release notes let me think it would have been fixed.

[quote=“mixedup, post:9, topic:183089”][quote=“AEBogdan, post:6, topic:183089”]lolodomo:

I changed my logic to use the countdown plug-in instead of the built-in trigger.[/quote]is this still an issue? It might explain my repeating crashing issue here do you think? http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,28583.0.html[/quote]

I’ve not had any crashes with the latest firware update. Vera with UI7 does seem to have become more stable.

Then again, I’ve also become much more gentle with my Vera3. Here are two things I’ve gotten used to do:

• I never access the Vera from more than one browser/device at the time when I makes changes
  • Everytime I make a single change I wait one minute before doing anything else.
  • If I need to do a series of changes (i.e. install an App, set up a scene etc.) I do one thing at the time. Then I wait one minute. Do a back-up. Then I do the next thing etc. etc.

Working with the Vera3 like this is a bit tedious, but it seems to work.