DSC with EVL-3

[quote=“Brientim, post:38, topic:179439”]Aegis,

I would also log on to your EVL and disable (uncheck) Disable TPI Session Alerts and this will then send you alert when the drop out is occurring.

Firmware Version: 01.11.127 is due for release soon which will result in it going offline when it is pushed out ( it includes Thermostat support for the 3m/50 and maybe this weekend)[/quote]

This has been unchecked from the start. I have never received any notifications. I also remembered that entering the module with the IP address of the device itself offers a different menu from the account login so I reviewed the settings and as previously reported, I do not assign an IP to the EVL3 from the device itself. But, should I be setting static IPs only out of the DHCP range? As far as I can tell, every static IP I set is in the DHCP range, but I am not continuously adding & dropping multiple devices like on a public network.

@guessed
I have a Vera Lite and dataMine installed, so I am stuck without an extra USB slot at the moment. I usually overkill every technology purchase I make, but I decided to be “practical” and only purchase a Vera Lite. I haven’t stepped up to a CIFS share either.
“[font=courier]My test module is set to obtain it’s address over DHCP, but it’s got a DHCP Reservation in place on my RTR[/font].” -I think this is how I set up with allowing devices to come up on the router via DHCP, then making that IP address assigned static within the router.
Can I just run Wireshark continuously on the PC without using Vera logs to capture the activity since I can’t use USB logging?

There is two places you must set Network Supervision… I forgot to tell you about the second one which is via the eyez-on portal. See EyezOn - Smart Home Security No Monthly Fees, basically log on, click on your home, in the top right click manage, Check network supervision. You can also reboot the device remotely from here…

[quote=“Aegis, post:42, topic:179439”]Can I just run Wireshark continuously on the PC without using Vera logs to capture the activity since I can’t use USB logging?[/quote]Nope. You’re on a Network Switch, so you won’t see the traffic (of interest) on another network device.

There are a few ways around that, but they require special configurations.

eg. A Managed switch, since it typically has SPAN ports for letting a 3rd party Network device “spy” on the traffic of one or more other ports. Your Netgear switch sounds like the regular ProSafe Unmanaged switch, which doesn’t have this option.

eg. A spare Network port on your PC, where you can plug either Vera or the Envisalink device, and using your PC to route the traffic between them (since now, your PC is in the middle and can see all of the traffic)

Now you’d mentioned that support had “traced” this previously, and seen RST messages. Do you have further information on how they did that?

Network Supervision has always been checked.

[quote=“guessed, post:44, topic:179439”][quote=“Aegis, post:42, topic:179439”]Can I just run Wireshark continuously on the PC without using Vera logs to capture the activity since I can’t use USB logging?[/quote]Nope. You’re on a Network Switch, so you won’t see the traffic (of interest) on another network device.

There are a few ways around that, but they require special configurations.

eg. A Managed switch, since it typically has SPAN ports for letting a 3rd party Network device “spy” on the traffic of one or more other ports. Your Netgear switch sounds like the regular ProSafe Unmanaged switch, which doesn’t have this option.

eg. A spare Network port on your PC, where you can plug either Vera or the Envisalink device, and using your PC to route the traffic between them (since now, your PC is in the middle and can see all of the traffic)

Now you’d mentioned that support had “traced” this previously, and seen RST messages. Do you have further information on how they did that?[/quote]

Gotcha. I was thinking about some firmware testing I did for HP several years back for a copier but that was between the copier and my PC, so that’ s why I could do that.

Yup, if you had an old-school Hub, instead of a Switch, then you could do it also… but I wouldn’t recommend that :wink:

Anyhow, I ran the plugin for another 24hr period. This time I ran it without the Zone-pulser, and it doesn’t error there either (it stays connected) and no errors were recorded.

You’ll need to gather the Verbose logging-enabled logs discussed earlier to go forward on fixing this. If you’re also able to gather localized (Vera <-> Envisalink) tcpdump traffic, covering the good-to-bad transition, that will help also.

For the last few days, I have been running a test that is the reverse and introducing communication failures.

The 2DS is configured to report the TPI connection failures. On every account, the 2DS is reporting when the connection has dropped and the Vera is automatically reconnecting which is also being reported.

In most cases the reconnection has been within one minute and only once it took longer being three minutes. So the conclusion supports what @guessed test and the app is working as designed.

@Brientim,
Many thanks for running those tests! It saves me a bunch of time, +1 for you ;)…

Would love to get to the bottom of this type of problem, since a few people have it occur from time to time, just not as frequently/consistently as @Aegis does.

It has been several days since I removed the static IP setting for the Vera Lite from the router and I have not seen the Lua Failure error. However, there is one key issue for which I have no explanation that is obviously significant here. After deleting the static IP setting from the router, the IP setting still shows as static from the device. I have always had the device to configure automatically, so I don’t know why it would show as static IP.

EDIT: it occurred to me that MCV support has spent some time working on the Vera Lite, so they may have changed a setting here as well; maybe with all the variable changes, the system is now configured properly. Time will tell.