DSC with EVL-3

My apologies for the double, maybe quadruple, post…but having the same issue as quite a few members are having.

EVL3 with UI5 with DSC 1616. Working great on the connect2go/Eyes-On site…but getting a double Lua Failure when trying to load it in UI5. Seems to load fine, looks like it is done, then I get the failures. Any assistance would be great.

Thanks from a true newbie to Vera, but not technology!

to you have it set to envisalink mode instead of it100
do you have the correct ip in the advanced mode
also are you using the default password, if not you need to add the parameter for password

edit
one more thing
make sure to go to the ip of the evl3
check to see at the bottom of the network page
that no devices are connected
if something other than your vera shows up disconnect it
evl3/2ds only supports 1 connected device at a time

Thanks, and yes I have done each of the steps you show below. I ended up de-installing and re-installing the plugin and it works 90% of the time. I have seen many posts that matched my issue, Lua Failure Lua Failure shown after it looks to have finished loading the plugin. It would be interesting to see the Lua code and what is being executed at the end of the plugin startup process. On to the next issue, and thanks again!

Then it has to reconcile the Child Sensor Devices previously created with the Zones listed in:
DoorZones, MotionZones, and SmokeZones.

Maybe you can delete all of the created devices and let it create new Sensors.

The DSC Plugin has full source code published over on code.mios.com, so you can always work out exactly what it’s doing (or not doing, in the case of breakages).

If you find the specific source of the issue, just let me know.

I get it all the time and MCV apparently spent a lot of time investigating and could not figure it out.

Here was what they said:

"From the log files I can see that sometimes there are communications errors between the Envisalink and the main router.
“Connection reset by peer” means that a TCP RST was received and the connection was closed. This occurs when a packet is sent from one endpoint of the connection but the other end does not recognize the connection; it will send back a packet with the RST bit set in order to forcibly close the connection. This can happen if the other side crashes and then comes back up, or if it calls “close()” on the socket while there is data in transit and it is an indication that some of the data sent may not have been received.

I’ve searched for more info regarding this error and one common cause of this error is that the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) size of packets travelling over your network connection have been changed from the default of 1500 bytes. Can you please check this on your router?

Please note that both plugins are third party plugins (not developed by Mi Casa Verde). And since you keep the tech support disabled it is difficult to investigate your issue."

My MI424WR-GEN3I router does not have that setting as far as I know.

@guessed - Thanks! Open source code review is always appreciated! I am very impressed with the responses and feedback on this forum. I started with InControl Home automation about 3 months ago…went to Vera3 2 weeks ago and have not looked back.

Thanks again all, your feedback is very much appreciated,
B

Given MCV’s response, I think we’ve had others report similar issues before, and I think I remember seeing at least one user who fixed it after replacing either a switch, or a router.

I’ve been running this plugin extensively for over a year or two, and the only time I had communication issues were prior to the keep alive changes that were added to the both the plugin and the EVL3/2DS.

[quote=“strangely, post:8, topic:179439”]Given MCV’s response, I think we’ve had others report similar issues before, and I think I remember seeing at least one user who fixed it after replacing either a switch, or a router.

I’ve been running this plugin extensively for over a year or two, and the only time I had communication issues were prior to the keep alive changes that were added to the both the plugin and the EVL3/2DS.[/quote]

Now you’re making me think. My EVL3 goes straight to the router, but I think my Vera Lite goes first to the switch. I will take a look at making sure both of them go directly to the router.

Yes, that was my system that was experiencing the similar issues. In my case, I had Cisco router and switches that end up being replaced.

The problem was intermittent and extremely difficult to isolate the root cause. I raise a ticket with Envisacor and they placed customised firmware on my system to monitor and trace the error.

The switch was the issue and it was truly identified by Envisacor support very quickly. It was easily confirmed by some changes to my network infrastructure.

They (Envisacor) have now embedded changes in the firmware to deal with some of the issues that were encountered and improved diagnostic.

I would recommend if the still experiencing ongoing I would recommend that you raise a support request via them. They are very helpful and responsive.

[quote=“Aegis, post:9, topic:179439”]Now you’re making me think. My EVL3 goes straight to the router, but I think my Vera Lite goes first to the switch. I will take a look at making sure both of them go directly to the router.[/quote]Try both to the router first, and then both to the switch if that fails. Either way, minimizing the # of entities in the communication path is always the first step in these processes.

As @Brientim recommends, going to Envisacor (after you’ve minimized the net config) has yielded great results in the past. Just make sure that you’re on the latest EVL-3 firmware (etc), since they make regular fixes/tweaks (they use software-based Ethernet)

In the past we’ve seen some issues when people have large #'s of devices on their home Networks. I believe @oTi was seeing some problems in this space, and they were traced back to the size of the ARP table that would be needed (and these devices have a small amount of memory)…

Router issue! Rewired connections, all good so far.
If you can get to the Envisalink via it’s IP address consistently…you should be good to go.
Don’t forget to reboot in the proper order to ensure IPs are assigned correctly.

Thanks!

I haven’t changed my cables for both to run straight to the router yet, but I may have narrowed down the problem. Everything was working fine although in my router it showed the lease for my Vera was expired, at the same time I had the Lua Failure on the DSC Alarm Panel. When I rebooted Vera (which is what I always do to clear the Lua Failure) the lease showed “Active” again and of course the Lua Failure was clear. Is there a way to prevent the lease from expiring on the Vera Lite?

Set you Vera to a static IP on your Vera. Goto settings, net&wifi, set to manual and complete details as required

My Vera has been on a static IP from day 1 via the router. Not sure if I should also set it that way via the Vera itself. I have been told you want to set that via the router, not via the device. Would be interested in discussion of difference…

You only need one way. Albeit, reserved IP via the router or static on your Vera. Different router manage renew of release differently.

PM responded to.

There is a thread here:
forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=12595.0

[quote=“Brientim, post:16, topic:179439”]You only need one way. Albeit, reserved IP via the router or static on your Vera. Different router manage renew of release differently.

PM responded to.

There is a thread here:
forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=12595.0[/quote]

Thanks. Not sure why it would expire then when I had it set on the router. I just set it on the Vera as well to see if I get different behavior.

Do both to be safe.

Didn’t work. Immediate lua failure

Well the fact that the lease didn’t renew is a bit suspicious. Are you sure there isn’t another device with the same address? Have you tried any other diagnostics like pings from Vera to the EVL?