DSC Powerseroes 1864 in UK

hi all.

after lots of reading I think my only descent option for linking an alarm to vera is a DSC. I normally prefer Texecom, but cant find any way to get instant zone status events. The programming on the DSC looks a lot more difficult then the Texecom, but hey i’ll figure that out.

Looking at prices, suppliers want to rip us off in the UK. Where the 1864 is available for $80USD in the uk its $190 USD. So im wondering largely what the cheapest way of me getting what I want is.

I think I want

1864 motherboard and enclosure
PK5507 (touch screen interface)
PC5108 (extender) * 3
EV3

I have a few questions

1. Is there any difference between US and UK products. I understand that th wireless is different, but I don’t believe any of these have wireless.

2. I am aware that the power transformer will be different, so I need to source some thing in the uk, any one got any ideas? - is it the same as other alarm panels ie would a Texecom psu work?

3. I believe there will be a few setting different which I will need to tweak… any idea what, bell ring timeout?

4. I have read posts of people having problems programming with the touch screen. Is it still the case that it wont let you access all the settings?

5. I have seen posts about been able to program from PC software, is this just a case of making a cable, and then getting the software. if the software free and available? what about with the ev3, is there another way to program, app?

6. On the Texecom I can have a few different part set configs, on the DSC is it only stay and away?

I think that’s my main questions for the moment.

thanks in advance for any answers.

Stu

I obtained my DSC 1864 from this company
http://www.zwave-products.co.uk/shop/article_56/DSC-PowerSeries-8-64-Zone-Control-Panel-PC1864.html?sessid=veLt6yeMx2H5CeNWMcXY9VXIu5RsUTXqVsoAkB8XkEE7kteOXBJlSLqUn7Dm2OYn&shop_param=cid%3D21%26aid%3D56%26

You will need a keypad to go with that, I would recommend an LCD with wireless for future expansion. You can program with a PC but as I understand you will need XP. The EV 3 can’t be used for programming, but I would recommend it for connecting to Vera.

David

yeah that’s where ive seen the panel… .bit pricey though compared with US.

so will the touchscreen not program the system?

[quote=“sjeffrey”]hi all.

after lots of reading I think my only descent option for linking an alarm to vera is a DSC. I normally prefer Texecom, but cant find any way to get instant zone status events. The programming on the DSC looks a lot more difficult then the Texecom, but hey i’ll figure that out.

Looking at prices, suppliers want to rip us off in the UK. Where the 1864 is available for $80USD in the uk its $190 USD. So im wondering largely what the cheapest way of me getting what I want is.

I think I want

1864 motherboard and enclosure
PK5507 (touch screen interface)
PC5108 (extender) * 3
EV3

I have a few questions

1. Is there any difference between US and UK products. I understand that th wireless is different, but I don’t believe any of these have wireless.

Yes, there are firmware differences to comply with EU standards.
Wireless for EU is different and not interchangeable.

Most other products are the same e.g. Normal keypad without wireless

1. I am aware that the power transformer will be different, so I need to source some thing in the uk, any one got any ideas? - is it the same as other alarm panels ie would a Texecom psu work?

Unknown, you would compare specs

1. I believe there will be a few setting different which I will need to tweak… any idea what, bell ring timeout?

This is user definable.
Set clock freq 50/60 Hertz

1. I have read posts of people having problems programming with the touch screen. Is it still the case that it wont let you access all the settings?
    No problems and it is easier for new uses.

2. I have seen posts about been able to program from PC software, is this just a case of making a cable, and then getting the software,. if the software free and available? what about with the ev3, is there another way to program, app?

Yes, there are a number of sites you can get it from.
You can make or buy cable check ebay if required.
Evl3 is the integration interface between the panel and your Vera not the app for programming Vera.

1. On the Texecom I can have a few different part set configs, on the DSC is it only stay and away?

I think that’s my main questions for the moment.

thanks in advance for any answers.

Stu[/quote]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi

I am in UK and went the US route. The price is sooo much cheaper that it was a no brainer. I got a friend to ship for me, though there are some that will ship, for a bit of a ripoff postage price… The wireless is different but I went with it anyway and had no regrets as I can get additional components from the US for a fraction of the price if I need to add to it. Have not had a single issue with the wireless components losing connection, which I had regularly on my EU spec Visonic alarm.
In terms of your questions that have not been answered:

2 - I just bought the transformer from one of the UK suppliers. Its nothing special so you could just as easily use another if the same specs.

I dont have the touchscreen, I have the alphanumeric full message keypad and programming is a breeze once you know your way around. I dont think the PFK5507 has wireless so unless you are 100% sure you will never use them, maybe worth considering one that does, or adding a wireless module. I use a combination of the vanishing wireless door and window sensors and DSC micra-d window sensors, which are great if you want them hidden.

The main thing is, everything works flawlessly with Vera… its a great plugin and saves you a packet on Z-wave sensors.

Cheers

I ordered most of the stuff online, and even with shipping and duty it was still significantly cheaper and painless with good support.

I did all the programming with the programming with the PK5507 and it can do everything (as it essentially emulates the other keypad when a graphical mode is not provided for something)

Be careful on the wireless, I tried some US frequency sensors and it clashed with my Zwave network.

As for the power supply you can find a number of sources.

My biggest challenge was the external sounder wiring but that was more my lack of knowledge and US Centric DSC documentation as you would expect.

It works perfectly with Vera, happy to share privately the suppliers I used.

Neil

NeilK,

Could you PM me with the supplier in the USA that you used? I’m in the UK as well and pretty shocked by the difference in price.

Thanks

I too am looking at buying DSC to link with Vera, I have EU Vera (UK). Will the wireless sensors clash if I use the US versions?

If you could PM me the supplier that would be great.

Thanks!

The Vera EU version relates to the allocated Z-wave frequencies and will not clash with the DSC.

The DSC itself has different wireless comparability to meet regional certification and EU and U.S. are different. Therefore, the DSC wireless receiver must match the wireless sensor to enable them to communicate effectively. US wireless receiver albeit keypad or module, buy US sensors.

I’m also looking at going this route, sourcing from US and would be most grateful for any advice as to suppliers.

I’ve been following this thread and briefly debated going the US route, but ultimately opted for the faster (but must more costly!) UK route due to time pressures (my old alarm had completely failed). I must admit I was a little worried about using US equipment that was not certified for use here in the EU as well…

If anyone in the UK is interested I used Complete Fire and Security Solutions (http://www.thesecuritystore.uk.com). Went for one of their bundles, which worked out much cheaper than buying the components alone (believe me, I looked!), ordered around 2pm and got the whole order delivered with next day delivery. Also called them up to check if there were any gotchas I should be aware of and they were very helpful (there was only one about the tight fit of the standoffs when mounting the board). Even better, after the order was dispatched they sent an email to say they had also thrown in an extra WT5500 free of charge (which is nice, as this was something I wanted but didn’t order because it was an extra ?282!).

So, overall very happy I want down this route. Have to say I’m very impressed with how easy the wireless sensor enrolment is, almost too easy! And even the programming with the keypad has not been the nightmare I thought it was going to be. Pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and EVL3 and DSC Plugin integration is a doddle. Have had a problem with the DSC Plugin complaining about the EnableRemoteArm variable (I used arm as per the Wiki), but followed advice of another post and got that resolved and all working perfectly now.

I used these guys http://www.surveillent.com and they deliver promptly to the UK and dealt with issues. Best to email them for a quote and discuss the details as the website is not the easiest to navigate.

I’m England based, and against my patriotic sense, I purchased my DSC system from Aartech in Canada. Was just so much cheaper than from the UK direct. Didn’t ask them for much support so don’t know whether they’re much good at that.

Is there any advice from the guys that have imported their alarms around how to power the alarm module would be very much appreciated. I?m in need of a battery and a power supply for a US PC1832, is it as simple as buying the battery and power supply from a UK supplier of DSC equipment?

On a side note I can also confirm that Aartech in Canada are very cheap, although their general knowledge is not great, or at least weren?t very forthcoming to questions around US to UK conversion.