DSC Alarm System plugin

@ strangely … is your suggestion to use vera as the ‘operational’ keypad???

Last month when I spoke to tech support at DSC, the tech had mentioned that the Alexor system could do remote access via a cell phone, but does require the GSM interface to make this possible. Just that interface is not cheap & does require a plan so it will work. He did state that they were planning to release an update that would allow the power series to use that same option. For me, I like the IT-100 option.

[quote=“strangely, post:120, topic:167215”]Are you referring to the Alexor system?
You can still arm and disarm via either a phone or one of the wireless keyfobs.[/quote]

Do you have the Alexor system? If so, it is very limited on what it can do. If you don’t have it yet. I would go with a Power Series panel. That’s what I have. I’m using both hard wired & wireless on it. In my option, going completely wireless can be very probmatic. It’s a good option when installing a wireless door sensor or wireless motion is not possible. Even on wireless motions, they use a lot more battery power & tend to time out.

You’ll still need the keypad for programming (not for the faint hearted) but they keyfobs are ample for arming / disarming and you can still use something else like SQremote or the vera dashboard if need be!

The DSC wireless motions actually quote up to 9 years of battery life! I have one and the only disadvantage seems to be that its a little bit slower.

9 years huh? Wow… Of course that will vary to traffic (lots of movement) & conditions (hot & cold). I have a friend of mine that has an alarm company & does monitoring as well for years. What he told me on the wireless motions that he does not like is. Lets say you are arming your home & while exiting the wireless motion see you. It sleeps for 4 min or so. Now, most alarms are set to count down for let’s say 30sec to a minute while arming. While armed that zone in which that wireless motion is still sleeping. The risk someone breaking in & the motion not tripping while sleeping does not set well. Granted it’s a long shot, but not impossible.

Have you seen this?

The DSC wireless motions actually quote up to 9 years of battery life! I have one and the only disadvantage seems to be that its a little bit slower.[/quote]

I know it sleeps when the there is a lot of activity in a room; however not sure of how long etc and how it decides.

All moot anyway since I have a long exit delay due the amount of time required by my wife to arm, get the baby in the car, exit and then close the garage door again.

lol… I hear yeah.

[quote=“strangely, post:127, topic:167215”]I know it sleeps when the there is a lot of activity in a room; however not sure of how long etc and how it decides.

All moot anyway since I have a long exit delay due the amount of time required by my wife to arm, get the baby in the car, exit and then close the garage door again.[/quote]

Also heads up. For all you Android users. I downloaded Dolphin Browser HD tonight & it works with Vera very nicely. It formats the page view for easy scrolling (no need to move left & right), real-time status on modules (states when transmitting), & you can remote arm & disarm your alarm… Just thought I’d pass this along to everyone. This will work for remote alarm access for now, until Home Buddy & others can make it possible with their apps. BTW, you can also edit your scenes & modules. ;D

[quote=“computerjohn, post:129, topic:167215”]Also heads up. For all you Android users. I downloaded Dolphin Browser HD tonight & it works with Vera very nicely. It formats the page view for easy scrolling (no need to move left & right), real-time status on modules (states when transmitting), & you can remote arm & disarm your alarm… Just thought I’d pass this along to everyone. This will work for remote alarm access for now, until Home Buddy & others can make it possible with their apps. BTW, you can also edit your scenes & modules. ;D[/quote]You can also create a scene to arm and disarm which should show up in the smartphone interface.

Really… I must try this… ;D Thanks for the heads up!

Off subject,

Can anyone tell me HOW THE HECK, can a stop this darn forum from scrolling to the top of the message window while posting a message? For example, while posting a message that is longer than the window body, it will scroll to the top & I’m typing blind. I scroll down in that window & it goes right back to the top. I have checked setting & nothing. Any ideas???

Hey strangely here’s an odd one.

I have named my Zones twice (i thought perhaps I didn’t click save the first time). I logged into my Vera & my names that I manually entered are gone again & each zone is back at Zone 01, Zone 02, etc… Any ideas on why this keeps on happening??

If it was the panel, wouldn’t it just name each zone with the custom programming that I have in that panel (Front Door, basement, etc…)?

Its renaming the devices with the ones stored on the Panel itself. Before I programmed mine with DSC DLS software, I noticed by default that they were already listed as Zone 01 Zone 02 etc on the programming template I downloaded from my panel.

I think that the labels you have are only held on the Keypads, and they don’t get stored on the panel once programmed; the ones on the panel are the ones the IT100 uses!

You can try a label broadcast from the keypad it was programmed from, but I have no idea if this broadcast is also stored on the panel.

Label broadcast:
*8[Installer code]998

The actual way to connect Vera to DSC is by using IT-100 and WIZ110SR.
I was under impression that the TL150 could replace both, but someone mentioned that the TL150 would be unable to provide to Vera the individual states of the sensors (Zone).

Could someone clarify if there is something new on this since the upper quote was published (in October)?

Thanks

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5996.msg35717#msg35717
DSC vs GE considerations.

@computerjohn, @TimAlls, and anyone else that may have installed the previous versions:

@guessed has updated the plug-in as part of the V2 standardization. It would be good if you could all update to the latest version and provide some feedback.

I’ve been using it for 2 or 3 weeks and it works great for me!

Setup (still needs some work) and files contained here:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_dscalarmpanel

I will definitely give it a try. We have a few more days before the wiring is complete but I will give you some feedback when we bring it online.
Thanks
Tim

Have you tried it with the .1234 firmware?

Yep, for about a week.

Ok good…I want to be on the same firmware!
I will push forward with wiring on Monday and bring it online…shouldn’t take long. I will have some feedback monday night.
Regards
Tim