DO NOT BUY GE 45612 for dimming CFL or LED - SUCKS

I made the mistake of not spending enough time researching about the dimmer switch. I found out about the switch over this forum but the information was all over the place. Because the z-wave ecosystem is NOT well-structured (unorganized) out there, I figure it will help somebody out there quickly. Simply put:

DO NOT BUY GE 45612 dimmer Z-Wave (aka “suckie dimmer”) switch to dim either CFL or LED (dimmables). It does not work with either one simply because the bulb wattage is too low.

The revised one GE 45712 cost the same (at the time of writing this) and functions well (as reported by users) on CFL and LED. This revised one have a neutral wire input while the “suckie dimmer” does not.

Now, you may say that the “suckie dimmer” controls four CFL or LED which is above 40watts total and that will work. My answer to you is: Unless this dimmer goes for $10 or less, why not just get the right one in the first place?

Thanks Trey.

Does the switch when pushed go to full bright, or the last dimmed state according to the controller?

Just to point out, the reason why some prefer the 45612 is because it does not require a neutral connection. A lot of older houses did not have the neutral wire led to the switch boxes, and wiring a new neutral is cost prohibitive, if even possible.

I agree that if a neutral is available, then the 45712 is the preferred unit.

Lots of threads available on this subject, BTW.

[quote=“aa6vh”]Just to point out, the reason why some prefer the 45612 is because it does not require a neutral connection. A lot of older houses did not have the neutral wire led to the switch boxes, and wiring a new neutral is cost prohibitive, if even possible.

I agree that if a neutral is available, then the 45712 is the preferred unit.

Lots of threads available on this subject, BTW.[/quote]

Agreed. My house has neutral wires in just a few outlets so the 45612 was what I needed to use. I was hoping that GE would continue to make some no neutral switch, guess I’ll have to stock up…

There are several threads I read but for the complete newbie, I concluded that this thread w/ that title is necessary. We have to understand that the z-wave ecosystem is very unorganized and can be very confusing. This thread is to minimize the small confusion.

The reason Jasco chose to discontinue the 2-wire dimmers was also partly due to the fact that incandescent bulbs are no longer being made as of Jan.1, 2014 when the last wattages, 40 and 60 watt bulbs were made illegal to produce beyond that date. So i guess they just decided to cut their losses and quit making a switch that would only work for a DI’d bulb. Not very responsible but since when are the manufacturers responsible?

Now Linear is coming out with a 2-wire dimmer next month - so when one quits the other starts, I guess Linear wants to stretch it out as long as possible, lol, who knows!

To clarify further just a bit, Jasco is releasing all the 457xx series switches and modules in the GE brand to consumers later this year. This means that after ALL the 456xx models are gone, they will be replaced with the 700 series which includes a 3-wire dimmer in lieu of the 2-wire and ALL the switches will come with interchangeable faceplates in white AND light almond. We just don’t know when.

I use the 45612 for over a year now with LED BR30 can lights. They work fine when you follow the installation instructions. I buy them locally at lowes for 25.00 and the new ones you speak of are not available locally and cost more if you find them at 1 of the 2 websites that carry them.

Neither one of these have instant status or some other advanced features. For that even the 3 wire could be called suckie.

Bottom line is they are cheap and have limitations as outlined in the instructions. If they fit your needs they are priced right. If you need instant status or other advanced features, need more then 2 wires or have less then 40w.

Glad to see Linear is coming out with a new Z-Wave dimmer!

The other thing is all LED bulbs are different. Some work with some switches and some don’t…and everything in between. I changed over all of my house lights to LED, and although I try to stick to one brand (Philips), I’ve had to buy other brands here and there for sizes they don’t make. Sometimes its hit or miss on the brands and whether they will work on a particular switch. Just because you buy a LED and it doesn’t work, doesn’t mean its the switches fault. I would try another brand bulb as well before I say no go.

The two wire switches are generally a problem for all LEDs though. Just not enough power for LEDs. I have a couple of those and luckily they are in a series where I could put in one incandescent. Not the most desirable setup but its better than rewiring the wall.

[quote=“Katmai, post:9, topic:183131”]The other thing is all LED bulbs are different. Some work with some switches and some don’t…and everything in between. I changed over all of my house lights to LED, and although I try to stick to one brand (Philips), I’ve had to buy other brands here and there for sizes they don’t make. Sometimes its hit or miss on the brands and whether they will work on a particular switch. Just because you buy a LED and it doesn’t work, doesn’t mean its the switches fault. I would try another brand bulb as well before I say no go.

The two wire switches are generally a problem for all LEDs though. Just not enough power for LEDs. I have a couple of those and luckily they are in a series where I could put in one incandescent. Not the most desirable setup but its better than rewiring the wall.[/quote]

Here! Here! Katmai, I am glad you brought that up, you are totally correct. I tell this to people practically every day and have written about it quite extensively on my blog and forum postings, so thanks for that.

[quote=“haworld, post:10, topic:183131”][quote=“Katmai, post:9, topic:183131”]The other thing is all LED bulbs are different. Some work with some switches and some don’t…and everything in between. I changed over all of my house lights to LED, and although I try to stick to one brand (Philips), I’ve had to buy other brands here and there for sizes they don’t make. Sometimes its hit or miss on the brands and whether they will work on a particular switch. Just because you buy a LED and it doesn’t work, doesn’t mean its the switches fault. I would try another brand bulb as well before I say no go.

The two wire switches are generally a problem for all LEDs though. Just not enough power for LEDs. I have a couple of those and luckily they are in a series where I could put in one incandescent. Not the most desirable setup but its better than rewiring the wall.[/quote]

Here! Here! Katmai, I am glad you brought that up, you are totally correct. I tell this to people practically every day and have written about it quite extensively on my blog and forum postings, so thanks for that.[/quote]

Hi–

I agree also. I have noticed that LED bulbs from different manufactures work sporatically with this switch. Some work better than others. In general the Phillips bulbs seem to work well with these switches.

Don

i am a little bit confused; dimmable zwave swtiches like 45612, 45712 or other brand can dim any incandescent bulb right? (i guess there are no dimmable incandescent bulbs like LEDs). now there are dimmable and non dimmable LEDs. my question is will non dimmable LEDs work with dimmable zwave switch or it has to be a dimmable LED bulb. sorry if my post has many redundancies for the word dimmable.

LEDs and incandescent bulbs are completely different. Just about any incandescent bulb is dimmable.

Only LEDs that are specifically manufactured and labeled to be dimmable can be dimmed. Attempting to dim non-dimmable LED bulbs will result in excess heat, often whine or buzz, and the risk of fire.

You should only ever use LED bulbs specifically labeled as dimmable with any dimmer. You should only use a dimmer that is designed and labeled for dimming LEDs to dim dimmable LEDs.

Below will be clueless anecdotes and contradictions.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:13, topic:183131”]LEDs and incandescent bulbs are completely different. Just about any incandescent bulb is dimmable.

Only LEDs that are specifically manufactured and labeled to be dimmable can be dimmed. Attempting to dim non-dimmable LED bulbs will result in excess heat, often whine or buzz, and the risk of fire.

You should only ever use LED bulbs specifically labeled as dimmable with any dimmer. You should only use a dimmer that is designed and labeled for dimming LEDs to dim dimmable LEDs.[/quote]

Wise words from a man who has helped so many members of this forum to install and use Z-Wave switches and dimmers successfully.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:13, topic:183131”]LEDs and incandescent bulbs are completely different. Just about any incandescent bulb is dimmable.

You should only ever use LED bulbs specifically labeled as dimmable with any dimmer. You should only use a dimmer that is designed and labeled for dimming LEDs to dim dimmable LEDs.

Below will be clueless anecdotes and contradictions.[/quote]

You always respond to issues clearly and well explained. Thank you for your patience

Thanks to you both.

It seems I need a Snickers.