Dim lights at 10pm ONLY if they are on?

Now that you understand the last example now you can start testing for dimmer levels. Say want to run a scene only if a dimmer light is between 10 to 20% and its dark out. I will use my device 25 for this example.

– Find the current dimmer level
local Light1State= luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1”, “LoadLevelStatus”, 25)

– Run this scene only if the light is dimmed between 10-20%
if (tonumber(Light1State) >= 10) and (tonumber(Light1State) <= 20) and ( luup.is_night() ) then
return true – run the scene because the light is between 10-20% and it is dark out
else
return false – exit the scene without running it because the light is not between 10-20% or it is not dark out.
end

Note that you can change the dimmer value from a string to a number with “tonumber”, (tonumber(Light1State) >= 10) before you test values. In this case greater than or equal to 10. or you can use this:
if ((Light1State) >= “10”) and ((Light1State) <= “20”) and ( luup.is_night() ) then
They both should work. I like to use “tonumber” since I can use math to easily change the value.

Is it possible to make this GLOBAL or to work with more than 1 device at a time, but ONLY activate the light of the switch that is pressed?

I really dont want to create 40 of these…

Is this same level of control possible using the hardware (Jasco) dimmer switches? I would like to set the brightness level of each switch depending the time of day.

I’m having issue with really basic status from GE/Jasco dimmers. This does not work (assume the dimmer Id 2 is on):

[code]local entry_level = luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1”,“LoadLevelStatus”,2)

if( tonumber(entry_level)>0 ) then
return true
end[/code]

What am I missing?

Think I found my problem ID != Device Number. I wish this was more intuitive… :frowning:

Hi I’m new with this, I have a dimmer that I want to set to 20% just if it is turned of. I put this code in the Luup section of the Scene but, first don’t know exactly how to get the device number. Is it the ID or the # in the Setting part of the Device?

if (luup.is_night()) then local familyDimm = luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1", "LoadLevelStatus", 2) if (tonumber(familyDimm) == 0) then return true end else return false end

It is no working.
Help me.

It is the device number in the settings tab at the top. Node number is for the zwave chip only.

• Garrett

Thanks Garret,
Then it was ok, but still it doesn’t work.
I did a Reheal, and notice that the dimmer has 2 starts.
What basic troubleshooting can I do? Someone send me an URL to get the logs of the veralite, but not sure how to read it.
I saw there is a luup log function, if I print the value of the dimmer, will I see it there?
What other trouble shoot can you recommend me?

Thank you,

Experiment, you asked the same question on another thread and I answered it there.

(Double-posting of questions is considered antisocial, particularly because it pollutes the ability for others to search the forum for questions already answered.)

Sorry Futzle,
I’m getting used to this. I should open a new thread. I didn’t realized how active is this forum. I just was impatient.
By the way, thank for the answer in the other thread. I think it was the problem.