difference b-tween backup options

there is “create backup” and also “back up zwave network”

what is the difference?

When “backing up zwave network” does it only backup zwave devices? or will it back up my camera setting too?

The backup Z-Wave network is a backup of just the Z-Wave chips database. This is the database of all of the Z-Wave devices that have been included into the home network.
It does include all of the Z-Wave routing.

It does NOT include the higher levels of abstraction that Vera provides. I.e. the concept of a Vera Device, It’s name, It’s room, various time stamps … like it’s last change …

When you backup the Z-Wave network it is saved in a file on Vera.

When you backup up Vera … you backup all of the plugins, there settings, the higher level abstractions for Z-Wave devices, The Z-Wave Backup file, … and a bunch of other configuration stuff.

If you fried your Vera and received a new one, If your restore the Z-Wave backup only you would get the list of Z-Wave devices in the “No Room” almost the same as when they were first included the devices into Vera. And that’s it.
[hr]
Restoring the Z-Wave database is important … because if you have to exclude/include them into a New Vera, you will have lost all of the association information that may have been programmed into these devices as well as have to reprogram any secondary Z-Wave controllers and Scene Controllers.

Vera periodically executes a [local] backup of the ZWave network information from it’s internal Z-Wave chip. This ZWave backup is stored locally on the Vera itself, as a file.

If you include a new Device to your ZWave network, then this backup will effectively be stale… and a new one will be generated next time Vera gets around to it (daily, IIRC)

But a ZWave backup only contains the minimal information about the ZWave devices themselves (things like the ZWave homeId, which nodes are present).

Vera has a lot of extra metadata for each of these ZWave devices, and for all other Non-ZWave device.

eg. Title, Room, Scene information, Luup code etc, etc, etc.

When Vera blows up, you need a way to get all of this information back in order to restore to an “empty” Vera unit.

For this, you’ll need the [Vera] backup. It contains a full copy of the critical metadata from Vera, along with a copy of the last-executed “ZWave backup”.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:2, topic:175859”]The backup Z-Wave network is a backup of just the Z-Wave chips database. This is the database of all of the Z-Wave devices that have been included into the home network.
It does include all of the Z-Wave routing.

It does NOT include the higher levels of abstraction that Vera provides. I.e. the concept of a Vera Device, It’s name, It’s room, various time stamps … like it’s last change …

When you backup the Z-Wave network it is saved in a file on Vera.

When you backup up Vera … you backup all of the plugins, there settings, the higher level abstractions for Z-Wave devices, The Z-Wave Backup file, … and a bunch of other configuration stuff.

If you fried your Vera and received a new one, If your restore the Z-Wave backup only you would get the list of Z-Wave devices in the “No Room” almost the same as when they were first included the devices into Vera. And that’s it.
[hr]
Restoring the Z-Wave database is important … because if you have to exclude/include them into a New Vera, you will have lost all of the association information that may have been programmed into these devices as well as have to reprogram any secondary Z-Wave controllers and Scene Controllers.[/quote]

thanks for the info.

so if I want to change from one unit to another would i want to do both backups, Update the vera backup then the zwave?

Here(link) it only instructs to backup the zwave network. if i did only that then i would lose all my scenes and cameras?

You backup the Z-Wave first … That creates a file on your Vera … That will be saved when you do A Vera Backup.

You have an option to restore the Z-Wave backup when you do a Vera restore.
If you want to restore just the Z-Wave backup and NOT the Vera backup … there is probably a way to do that … I have not looked into the details of that … but with a call to MCV support, they can do that. That’s often what they do if your Z-Wave stuff is hosed up and there is a recent Z-Wave backup available.