Device type

I have quite a few relays used to actuate different equipment. In Vera (Vera Plus UI7) these show up as lightbulbs, and are toggled by the “Turn All Lights On/Off” switch.
I understand that I can change the device type and icon.

I found this wiki: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories

However it is not clear to me excatly what I need to change and how.
Can someone explain what the advanced params really do?
device_type
device_file
device_json

Say I want my relay to show as a valve or a switch instead of a light bulb. What would I need to change, and would changing it have any other possibly unwanted effects?

That link is to change the category and subcategories values, found in the advanced setting of a device. Example attached for a door sensor.

[quote=“chrlod, post:1, topic:197484”]I have quite a few relays used to actuate different equipment. In Vera (Vera Plus UI7) these show up as lightbulbs, and are toggled by the “Turn All Lights On/Off” switch.
I understand that I can change the device type and icon.

I found this wiki: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories

However it is not clear to me excatly what I need to change and how.
Can someone explain what the advanced params really do?
device_type
device_file
device_json

Say I want my relay to show as a valve or a switch instead of a light bulb. What would I need to change, and would changing it have any other possibly unwanted effects?[/quote]

If what you are trying to change is the icon, it is stored in the device json.
If you open up the json you will find if the icon has a subcategory dependency. You can extensively modify the json to use your own icons. I would recommend to make a copy of the current json file for your device, rename it, and change the icon file names in it then upload the new json and use the renamed json in your device.

I am trying to do the same thing.
I have a light that is showing up as a wall plug.
I change the Category number from 3 to 2 and Subcategory from 3 to 0
I copied this from another device that shows a light bulb. Doing this did change the icon from a wall plug to a light bulb but it only stays like that for about 1 min before it changes its self back to a wall plug. How do I open or change the json file ?

Solution for changing device icon from wall switch to a light bulb as advised from customer care.

1. go to one of the bulbs in the settings area

2. click on Advanced and go down to SUBCATEGORY and change it to 8

3.reload the engine by clicking from the same menu on new service→ reload engine

1. refresh the page

Also check here the list of categories for the devices, this is what we use as a guide for this cases:

http://wiki.mios.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories

1 Like

Hi All

Changing device categories and sub categories is pretty straight forward but is anyone able to advise how I can stop UI7 from constantly re-configuring the device and changing the settings after they are changed?

Once I change a device sub-category to what I want the device works perfectly but overnight Vera will reconfigure the device and change it back… it?s so frustrating :rage:.

TIA

When you get into the device page and choose your device, click on settings and change the “automatically configure” option to no. save the changes. This should stop your device from automatically configure.

I have tried this and within half hour or so Vera still reconfigures the device :-/

I?ve even noticed it has even re-created a whole new device and placed a ?1? at the end of the device name.

This is after the automatically configure option is set to no and saved.

Anyone have any ideas ???

Not sure, I have 2 dozens of devices which I manually configured and they have never changed back. It sounds to me like the vera did not consider the device as having completed configuration and is therefore trying to configure it again so in fact you are dealing with a new child device. What kind of device is it?

AFAIK some devices (Fibaro FGS, for example) have an hardcoded category ID and you cannot change it.

I recently contacted support for a similar problem, since they changed the category for the doorbell from category 3, subcategory 6 to a different category ID.
they confirmed I cannot change my Fibaro’s category ID from 3 to something else. If I do, I’ll have it reconfigured at next luup reload.

Another Vera’s weirdness to live with.

I can confirm issues witch changing category of some Fibaro devices.
For example I’ve never managed to change category of their RGBW controller, it always go back.

Aeotec is also fussy - some devices allow changes in categories, but not big ones (as far as I remember I was able to change subcategory only and only few were accepted, but I would need to re-check it to confirm).

Anyway, sometimes it works strange. For example I successfully changed device category to Water Valve for some Qubino relay switch, but I see proper icon only under mobile App and only on Windows Phone. on Android and web UI, it is still presented as a lightbulb.

that’s because icon is hard coded in every app. so they need to keep all the logic in sync and sometimes they’re not. that’s the same problem with custom device not showing data on some apps (iOS) and working on other (Windows, Web) and viceversa.

it’s a mess, to be honest.

Yes, it is a mess.
3 different intefaces (WebUI, Andorid, Windows Phone) and 3 different results.

One changes the categories in Params section of the device under Advance.
Then go to the Commands folder (4th folder)
Click on “Configure node right now” to save your changes.
The changes may go away during the next reboot.

Some devices will not let you change the Category, some will not.
I’ve been able to get devices off the “Turn All On” list but just changing the subcategory to 8.

One changes the categories in Params section of the device under Advance.
Then go to the Commands folder (4th folder)
Click on “Configure node right now” to save your changes.