Device count with Vera == Limitations?

I am currently implementing Vera2 in my home and plan to have between 30-40 devices total including lamps, locks, appliance switches, thermostat and energy devices. Has anyone experienced performance issues with high device counts?

Thanks,
Darrell 8)

I am currently at 38 devices with 7 still in the box and 6 more on the way. I’ve had no issues with the number of devices but I’ve had issue with some of the devices (one of which was Vera until UI4).

My only advice (as the resident “most likely to fail”) would be to do one room at a time. Make sure you properly name everything so it’s logical to you, map it out. And this is truly a situation where you get what you pay for. Cheap switches have been my biggest headache and greatest frustration.

One more thing. Don’t try to set huge scenes right away or try any difficult programming until you have everything set up and stable.

Trust me, I made every single mistake here and I was told repeatedly on several boards (in not so many words) and I ignored and paid with time.

[quote=“mbairhead, post:2, topic:166545”]I am currently at 38 devices with 7 still in the box and 6 more on the way. I’ve had no issues with the number of devices but I’ve had issue with some of the devices (one of which was Vera until UI4).

My only advice (as the resident “most likely to fail”) would be to do one room at a time. Make sure you properly name everything so it’s logical to you, map it out. And this is truly a situation where you get what you pay for. Cheap switches have been my biggest headache and greatest frustration.

One more thing. Don’t try to set huge scenes right away or try any difficult programming until you have everything set up and stable.

Trust me, I made every single mistake here and I was told repeatedly on several boards (in not so many words) and I ignored and paid with time.[/quote]

I have to agree with mbairhead and say that start one room at a time or devices that you use often. It will make it much easier to work out how you want to set things up. Buying good switches makes for a better setup. I have heard to many stories with people buying cheaper switches and having nothing but issues and failures.

For device limitation, Vera should have not issues handling many devices. I believe you will hit the z-wave device limitation before you hit Vera’s .

Best of luck!

• Garrett

Also keep in mind that the more devices you add, the slower the response in many cases due to the routing. Even though there is a max hops, it still seemed to slow things down for me as I added more devices.