CurrentCost EnviR energy monitor

Hi Futzle,

I have connected up a CurrentCost unit and loaded your software and everything works very well. In my situation I have three clamps installed on one sender which is designed to be used to monitor a 3 phase circuit. In my situation I would like to monitor the three channels separately similiar to the Temperature option. Is this possible?

Thanks

Warren

Hi Warren,

It’ll require me to change the code; at the moment I just add all the phases together. I’ll stick separate phases in the next time I make changes.

Edit: I think I’m going to need some finer-grained configuration control in the plugin to handle this, to prevent an explosion in the number of child devices (especially for users who have more than one transmitter). AFAIK you can’t extract history for phases; it’s not stored by the monitor. So there won’t be any history tab for these per-phase child devices, only instantaneous usage.

Hi Futzle,

I think your right, it is streamed out every second but not stored in the unit.

Warren

Futzle

I was able to finally get it working I ended up having to completely reset my verde.
One thing that I noticed is that the temp was not reporting.
I did some digging and it looks like the XML output is different for me.
Instead of mine is actually can you add this into your next release.
I was able to get the data to report by changing the value in the L_CurrentCostEnviR1.lua file.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Interesting about the temperature. I assume it’s measuring Fahrenheit. Are you in a part of the world that uses Fahrenheit?

I’ll add a configuration option for temperature logging. There are some shenanigans going on with UPnP devices and Fahrenheit that might require user intervention to resolve.

Yes I’m In the US, so I set it as Fahrenheit.
Would it be possible to add history temperature logging as well?
When I was using the current cost bridge, they graphed both results and you could see whenthe temperature climbed , so did the power , then you could see the temperature decline again.It was interesting to compare the variations of when the a/c kicked in.As far as I could tell it did not appear that that data was stored in the history output of the device, so I was thinking you would just have to store it another variable in the plugin , maybe Temperature History ?

I’d rather leave data logging to the experts—it’s very tricky to get right, and done wrong it can thrash the flash memory of the Vera and reduce its lifetime. I recommend the dataMine plugin if you want to plot temperature history over time. dataMine can pull the temperature variable from the EnviR plugin and store its value every few minutes on external storage. (You could also plot power usage with dataMine, and get more instantaneous values than the two-hour cumulative values that the EnviR stores in its own memory.)

It was either that or Liberia. I wasn’t aware that they’d started selling CurrentCost units in the US. That makes you the first I know of who is testing this plugin in that environment. Let us all know how it goes.

Revision 15 of the plugin will log either or , whichever it finds in the XML. It doesn’t convert the number, so users who have their Vera set to one set of units but the EnviR set to the other will see odd values. (Anyone in that situation, please let me know and I can help code a workaround.)

I’ve added this feature to Revision 15. Set a variable on the main device: service urn:futzle-com:serviceId:CurrentCostEnviR1 name Appliance0ThreePhase (or whatever your appliance is) value 1. It will create three child devices, one for each clamp.

Hi Futzle,

I have tried to get this to work, but no such luck. After following the instructions nothing happens.

Thanks

Warren

Hi Warren,

MiOS is very picky about spelling, capitalization and rogue spaces. Make sure you haven’t accidentally set a variable that looks the same but isn’t.

Also I assume you installed the two new files as well as the updated Lua file.

Hi Futzle,

Its created a new device called Appliance0 but thats it.

I did this my going to the advanced tab on the the main device and entering the details into New Service: New Variable: New Value: fields.

Appliance0 is the name in the altid field?

I now have two Appliance0 fields, one with value 00229 and the other with 1.

Thanks

Warren

Warren,

What channel (1 to 9) have you paired your transmitter on? If it’s the Whole House, answer 0.

Let’s say you paired the transmitter as Appliance 5. You will see a variable Appliance5 in the Advanced tab, with a five-digit value. Then you need to make a variable called Appliance5ThreePhase and give it the value 1. The “ThreePhase” part is literally part of the variable name.

The fact that it let you create two variables both called Appliance0 strongly suggests that you have a typo in the one you created. Double-check the service id (copy and paste it to be sure) when you create the variable. Capitalization and spaces matter.

Could someone confirm that phase no. 3 is working as designed, please? I cannot get a reading ~= 0 Watts for phase 3 for sensor 0 (“Whole House Sensor”). May be a HW defect - will have to check the XML output …

I had to code it blind, so I wouldn’t rule out a bug. Do check the XML.

@futzle

The clamp that was connected to port/phase 3 of my transmitter only works if and only if connected to port 1 - very strange …
Summary: Your code is correct, my clamp/transmitter seems to be faulty/picky.

Feature request:
Allow [tt].[/tt] in the Main device power formula

[quote=“Ap15e, post:54, topic:168489”]Feature request:
Allow [tt].[/tt] in the Main device power formula[/quote]

I thought someone would ask for that. The reason I can’t is that the formula is used for history too, and per-phase history isn’t stored. Having different rules for the instantaneous power vs the history graph would be a support nightmare, so I’m not going there.

I’m thinking of a more generic approach to doing arithmetic on power devices, one that lets you combine different manufacturers and use more complicated calculations. It won’t be a part of the CurrentCost plugin; it’ll be its own thing.

Revision 16 updates the JSON files for UI5 compatibility. Download from link shown at start of this topic.

I upgraded to ui5 and installed this plugin using the install apps option, it seems that temperature is not reporting again for Fahrenheit, can you see if the latest plugin is updated in the mios apps portal ? Here are some messages from the log.
06 01/03/12 7:55:29.929 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 145 service: urn:futzle-com:serviceId:CurrentCostEnviR1 variable: Time was: 07:43:39 now: 07:43:46 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xa3f3b0/NONE duplicate:0 <0x8818>
01 01/03/12 7:55:29.930 luup_variable_set interface 0xbdd940 no CurrentTemperature/(null) <0x8818>
06 01/03/12 7:55:29.931 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 145 service: urn:futzle-com:serviceId:CurrentCostEnviR1 variable: Version was: CC128-v0.15 now: CC128-v0.15 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:(nil)/NONE duplicate:1 <0x8818>

futzle, do you want ownership of your plugins in apps.mios.com so you can update the versions there?

@jpitts, I don’t (currently) have write access to apps.mios.com, and the versions there are not the most recent. In the meantime you can install from code.mios.com as described on the first page.

@mcvflorin, I may as well have ownership of all of my plugins on apps.mios.com now; it’ll give me time to learn how they have to be munged for UI5 Lua loading if nothing else. I’ll send you a PM with the specifics.

Hi,

I am currently thinking about measuring energy.

But I am in doubt what is the best solution with vera2. Curently I run UI4, but i saw that in UI5 there would be more about energy usage. But which is the correct hardware.

The EnviR or a ZWAVE device as this one from AEON? I am here at ZWAVE EU.

Thanks for advice.

And some questions below:

• when I only monitor phase 3, there would be missed phase 1 and 2 energy usage as for cooking device?
  • how far can the sender be away from receiver. I am living in house with more than 1 appartments and the main power device is in annother floor.

Thanks in advanc!