CT100 missing ModeState variable [Solved]

Update: Today I checked the variables again, and sure enough ModeState is now there. Apparently there is a discovery process that Vera performs after some time? In any event, my existing program that detects the state of my furnace works again with the CT100!

Thanks - Joel

I recently installed my new ZWave CT100 thermostat to replace my 1 year+ old CT30. The 24V powered CT30 randomly – at a minimum monthly interval – trashes my ZWave network, and requires manual reset (involving a screwdriver, which I kept “handy” on top of the device). This is obviously intolerable; hence the CT100 replacement.

Unfortunately, the CT100 has issues as well. Here is the minimal that I found after initial installation:

1. Adding the CT100 via my Vera3 results in 3 “_Thermostat” devices.
  2. The CT30 has a ModeState variable; the CT100 is missing a ModeState variable. ModeState is very useful, because it allows me to track when my HVAC system is on/off, and enables cool learning scenarios (think “Nest Thermostat”).

For #1: Based on the thread, there seems to be a fix in the pipeline. Cool.

For #2: Can someone from Vera confirm that I will be able to track the state of my HVAC via a ModeState variable or equivalent?

Thanks - Joel

PS: I am willing sell my CT30 to someone (discounted) that is confident their ZWave network is small enough to not see issues.

Joel,

I setup my system last night and I am too getting triplicate entries for the CT100 thermostat. Any clues as to why this is happening?

W.

I am also afflicted by this triple-thermostat oddity.

I set up my new VeraLite a couple days ago and today received my pair of CT-100 thermostats. After including both I get 6 total thermostat devices listed, only two of which were automatically configured (one per thermostat). The two configured devices do operate normally. The others don’t seem to do anything… I’m guessing this is something to do with the recent update? They’re not really a problem, just annoying. I’ve tried removing them with no luck. Interestingly, two “dummy” devices move with the “real” configured device if you assign the configured device to a room. They’re obviously associated somehow, but I’m still new to this world so I’ve yet to gain the skills necessary to figure out why this happens. I’m working on that :slight_smile:

Also have CT100 and ModeState does not see to work. Trying to get status of the CT100 via http call and reply says this is not supported.
open(‘http://192.168.100.53:3480/data_request?id=lu_action&output_format=xml&DeviceNum=23&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1&action=SetModeTarget&NewModeTarget=ModeState’)

Hi everyone, I too just hooked up my VL to a CT100 and found 3 thermostats. I can confirm that 1 is functional and the other 2 are not showing any data from the thermostat.
I have noticed that using the Andriod app Automation HD from the Android app store, I can see when the heater is on or not on. If this is the mode state variable you are referring to then the CT100 is capable to doing it.

I recently added a CT-100 & also have 3 T-stat displays On UI5 & Android Vera Mobile. Only one Looks & acts normal. Tried removing & adding had same result… 3 temp controllers. I’m interested in mode state but the
3 t-stat displays is bogus. I do hope someone will find the fix & explain in simple terms. BTW… It took hours for the actual current temp to show up on a gui… Thanks for any help…

[quote=“Cosmos, post:6, topic:174620”]I recently added a CT-100 & also have 3 T-stat displays On UI5 & Android Vera Mobile. Only one Looks & acts normal. Tried removing & adding had same result… 3 temp controllers. I’m interested in mode state but the
3 t-stat displays is bogus. I do hope someone will find the fix & explain in simple terms. BTW… It took hours for the actual current temp to show up on a gui… Thanks for any help…[/quote]

Cosmos can you try the app “AutomationHD”
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.garrettpower.authomationhd&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nYXJyZXR0cG93ZXIuYXV0aG9tYXRpb25oZCJd

and see if you can see your heater “running”.

After over a month of use, it looks like things have stabilized with Vera 3 firmware 1.5.622.

I no longer have 3 “_Thermostat” devices. The ModeState variable still has latency issues (the variable appears some time after initial connection with CT100), but at least eventually updates correctly.

Summary:
Although generally functioning, the CT100 is yet another Z-Wave device that straddles the line between useful home automation, and a fickle toy.

I’ve got the same 3 T-stat issue with my CT-80. Paired my single thermo and 3 device are showing. Did you do something to remove the clones or did it resolve itself?

@jamieamic – they were deleted by the tech support person after I upgraded and re-added the CT100. I had opened a ticket and was given a link to the beta 622 firmware, as well as allowing them access to my Vera.

Did you try using luup to delete the extra nodes?

After looking back at the emails with tech support, I remember now there was another issue with polling via luup. The following luup fails for my CT100 (devicenum=37):
http://x.x.x.x:3480/data_request?id=action&DeviceNum=37&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1&action=Poll

• Joel

[quote=“joel, post:10, topic:174620”]@jamieamic – they were deleted by the tech support person after I upgraded and re-added the CT100. I had opened a ticket and was given a link to the beta 622 firmware, as well as allowing them access to my Vera.

Did you try using luup to delete the extra nodes?

After looking back at the emails with tech support, I remember now there was another issue with polling via luup. The following luup fails for my CT100 (devicenum=37):
http://x.x.x.x:3480/data_request?id=action&DeviceNum=37&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1&action=Poll

• Joel[/quote]

did anyone ever figure out the correct luup command to launch a poll manually?

ETA : found what I needed

luup.call_action(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1”, “Poll”, {}, 76)

76 is my thermostat id