Controlling Garage Door Opener?!?

I have a pretty simple system that I am happy with. I can control the lock on the front door, arm/disarm the alarm, turn on/off 3 lights, and control the thermostat. But there is 1 more thing I’d like to be able to do…open and close the garage door remotely while also knowing its state (open or closed).

My 17 year old garage door opener just died today…so I figure this is my chance to do it! I need some advice on how to do it though. Here are my questions…

-Are there specific advanced garage door openers that are z-wave compatible and can just be added to my current set up? If so, what are they?
-I am aware of 2 modules that seem to work with most basic garage door openers…Telguard GDC1 and Linear GD-00Z
-Does anyone recommend either one of these over the other and why? Does either work with UI5? I had a nightmare of a time with UI7 and downgraded back to UI5!

I am still somewhat of a newbie at this and am not looking to get crazy. I want something that is fairly easy to do with some simple instructions. I don’t want to be rigging anything up or soldering anything or creating workarounds. I see a lot of posts referring to these solutions and don’t want to get into that.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Z-wave garage door openers you mentioned are the best to go with at this point. I don’t have either (I use a Mimolite) but I would go with the GDC1 due to wired contact instead of wireless tilt sensor.

Less new deivces will work with UI5 is its no longer supported. You should be good at this point, but you’ll be back ui7 and starting over again soon.

We’re using the MyQ system with the plugin for vera. Overall, it’s been very reliable, with the exception of some issues with their server over the last couple of weeks. More and more we’re making the decision to go with mainstream commercial solutions we can integrate into vera, instead of using native z-wave. These seem to be the most reliable and I think offer more flexibility later if there’s a good alternative to vera (MyQs recent issues not withstanding…).

Tried the mimolite for another application and have now gone through two of them and can’t get them to be reliable. Not sure if it’s because we’re pushing the range of the device or there’s another issue.

[quote=“tb001, post:3, topic:187269”]We’re using the MyQ system with the plugin for vera. Overall, it’s been very reliable, with the exception of some issues with their server over the last couple of weeks. More and more we’re making the decision to go with mainstream commercial solutions we can integrate into vera, instead of using native z-wave. These seem to be the most reliable and I think offer more flexibility later if there’s a good alternative to vera (MyQs recent issues not withstanding…).

Tried the mimolite for another application and have now gone through two of them and can’t get them to be reliable. Not sure if it’s because we’re pushing the range of the device or there’s another issue.[/quote]

So you have a Chamberlain GDO with the MyQ option correct? I’m not sure I totally understand that solution. It appears as though you need to buy additional options to go with it. Or do you mean you were able to skip those and just use a plug-in in Vera to control it? Also, UI5 or UI7??

For this solution, the only option you need to purchase is the MyQ Gateway device. You can control the MyQ Gateway over a network connection directly from your smartphone. Alternatively, you can control the MyQ Gateway over a network connection indirectly via Vera (with the MyQ plugin installed) from your smartphone.

For this solution, the only option you need to purchase is the MyQ Gateway device. You can control the MyQ Gateway over a network connection directly from your smartphone. Alternatively, you can control the MyQ Gateway over a network connection indirectly via Vera (with the MyQ plugin installed) from your smartphone.
[/quote]

Thanks so much…totally get it now! Any idea if this will work with UI5 or do I have to go to UI7 for it?

I don’t know if the Vera “MyQ Gateway” plugin works on UI5.

As others have pointed out, none of the solutions discussed here are compatible with “Security+ 2.0” garage door openers from Chamberlain and others. Keep this in mind when buying a replacement for your old dead garage door opener.

My recommendation would be the Telguard GDC1. It is a bit less expensive than the “MyQ Gateway”, lacks the direct network access of the “MyQ Gateway”, but on the positive side requires no plugin to work with Vera.The GDC1 is directly wired to a (provided) magnetic door switch, which avoids some of the reliability issues that have been reported with the Linear GD-00Z wireless door sensor. Since the GDC1 appears as a simple on/off switch to Vera, it should work with any UI version.

We’re using the MyQ plugin with UI5. So far no issues and it’s nice to have the MyQ app as backup if there’s an issue with vera. It interfaces with the chamberlain GDO we already had–just required a change of the button in the garage and add the MyQ gateway. Not the cheapest solution, but has been working well for us.

Myq plugin works perfectly with UI 5. I’ve been very happy with it for 6+ months. Using PLEG and a multi switch I have a single android screen shortcut act as my garage door opener.
Another benefit of the myq is if vera is not responding you can still use their free app to open, close and get notifications.

Other systems are only “dumb switches” that tell vera open or closed. No help if vera is hung as vera is required