Controlling a light manually turned on

I have an outside light (Zwave controlled by Vera)that I turn on in the morning to let the dogs out. I would like Vera to turn the light off after 15 minutes. Is there any way to do this?

All you need is a scene to turn the light on and a delay of 15min in this scene to turn the light off.

You may have a look here http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-34#.VBHDUtZdaSM

I guess I should have been clearer. I already have a scene to turn on the light at sunset and turn it off at 10:00pm. In the morning when I turn the light on manually I want Vera to turn off the light 15 min later.

You would just make another scene with the 15 minute delay, as Kullematz stated.

Your may check if your Z-Wave switch/relay has an Auto-off like the Fibaro FGS211 (parameter 4), then all you need is to configure the switch/relay accordingly.

I have a linear switch. I will check it tonight. Thanks

Because of interactions between scheduled operation and manual operation , you may want to look at PLEG?

I have looked at it but so far have not used the PLEG. Guess it is time to venture in deeper

Yea the problem here is it’s easy to set a 15min timer to turn it back off after 15min of being on, but that means anytime you want it to be on for more then 15 min. it’s not going to stay on.

So sometimes this gets a little bit more tricky then you might want it to, to avoid it auto turning off my it’s self.

In this case if you always let the dogs out and never doing anything else around this time, then maybe a simple schedule would be ok. So say any day of the week (or you can do week days only or what ever) only during 5am to 7am if the light comes on wait 15min then turn off.

That way a night or what ever it wont effect you and auto shut off. This might work for now later on you might find that this interferes with something and you might need to add one more variable to the mix. Could me only if the door is not left open, only if there is motion somewhere, only if one of the interior lights is on or not on, or anything like this.

The bottom line is somethings start out basic but then you find the more inputs/ variables you have the better it will work when you want it to and not work when you don’t want it to.

Start out slow just add the 15 auto off, then add the calendar or schedule, if that don’t work 100% then look for more ideas.

I also use PLEG.

Yes I think your approach is much better. Otherwise it will just go off 15 min after it come on via the scene I already have.

That’s the fun or nightmare of things. I think I got my bases covered and it works for what I was originally thinking about, then one day I do something different and it doesn’t work right because I never took what I just did in the original equation. I then go back to PLEG and add one more variable or move them around to a bit to cover what I had before but take my new finding into account.

Although I know I need to dive into PLEG I think I might have a simpler solution to my own question. I have the following two scenes now:
Sunset Lights on
10:15 pm light off

Since I will on random days turn the lights on at 5:45am can I just create another scene to
6:15am light off

It would run daily. So if my logic is correct then every day at 6:15am the lights are turned off whether they are on or off?

[quote=“jquincy, post:13, topic:182932”]Although I know I need to dive into PLEG I think I might have a simpler solution to my own question. I have the following two scenes now:
Sunset Lights on
10:15 pm light off

Since I will on random days turn the lights on at 5:45am can I just create another scene to
6:15am light off

It would run daily. So if my logic is correct then every day at 6:15am the lights are turned off whether they are on or off?[/quote]

Yes this would work.

And Yes for this you don’t need PLEG, but later when you do use PLEG even for simple things like this I now just use PLEG for everything. It’s not hard to do easy things.