Controller Offline ? ? ??

I’ve got the remote connection offline problem every time I do an update. The only thing that helps is to reset the controller several times by pressing 6x reset button.

Tried the 6x reset a few times, clearing memory with LuUp code, etc.
Nothing helped.
Many of the forum threads suggest to enable Failsafe Tunnels under network tab.
Tech support had me uncheck Failsafe Tunnels, then Reload zwave Engine.
Problem seems Fixed !!!

1 Like

I am experiencing the same problem, the getvera portal alternates between “controller offline” and “connection ok”. I opened a ticket mid last week and have had zero response for tech support. Very disappointing…

Hi guys,

If you continue having these issues I would advise logging a ticket with our support team. This can be done over email at support@getvera.com , web form using the button in the top menu “Need Help” or toll free phone number +1 866 966 2272.

Hi guys and gals,

TL;DR - VeraPlus on latest firmware, with manually set network/IP settings caused me problems of the controller being classed as offline during login. Turning it back to automatic fixed the problems. Thing is, as an IT person for 20+ years, I think I know how to setup a static IP! It’s been the same IP info since I got the box originally, only the firmware changed… So there’s got to be a firmware issue with manual IP configs!

I know this is an old thread, but I’ve run into this “offline” problem recently. It’s since the latest firmware upgrade to my VeraPlus.

I followed the instructions to clear out caches (above) and doing reboots but it didn’t fix my problem. Infact one of the bits of info above actually broke my “reactor” apps settings!

I factory reset and re-downloaded a backup config. The unit seemed to work ok, showing up as being online, but once I finished checking and changing some settings back to how I wanted, it failed again.

Seeing someone talk about disabling Failsafe Tunnels, made me question the IP setup! Set it to automatic, and it’s works, go back to static (with all wifi off) and the controller no longer classed as “online” when I try and login via getvera site!

Anywho, I just wanted to post this up just in case this helps someone else!

1 Like

Is it actually offline, or is it just sending the offline notifications? I had this earlier today. I mostly ignore it since I know I can access my LAN and check that Vera is still there

C

The unit was online, but the GetVera site said it was offline (seems like it has been for weeks). E.g. Viewing locally, then going to “users & account info”, meant it needed me to login, but couldn’t as it said the controller was offline.

That said, I did get a notification from the android app today that it had gone offline and online, but I think that’ll just be servers or app issue.

Since my changes, all seems back to normal. I’ll go back and re-do my manual IP info at some point, but again, I’m 100% sure they should work without issue (its the same settings that were on it prior to the firmware upgrade).

1 Like

Oh that’s a bit different and a definite PITA :frowning:

I don’t doubt your IP config either (although I did something massively stupid. So stupid I can’t actually recall what it was) Others have reported issues with network settings as well.

I’m still on 7.29 and given that 7.31 seems to be the last FW I can’t see any pressing reason to upgrade

C

My Vera network is tiny, only 2 TRVs and a couple of sensors, so I’ve not noticed anything with the new firmware; so unless someone states otherwise I’d stick with the FW you’ve got :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeh the whole IP thing just seems strange, I do use my DHCP server to hand out a specific IP for my VeraPlus (based on it’s MAC), so it’s no problem leaving it on DHCP - I just like certain devices to be fully static where possible.

On a better note, I did at least have backups on my config. Also this topic/thread pointed out about the extroot which sounds like a really really good idea, I just need some small SSD. I have a 512gb SSD but I think this is a little overkill :joy:

1 Like

This is from Support, it resolved my issue.

Apologizes for the late answer, We are indeed having some staffing issues,

I have accessed your unit and you should be able to access it remotely now, the issue was related to the “Failsafe tunnels” being enabled on the Net&Wi-Fi settings, this option was designed to work only when the controller counts with a 3g dongle backup but right now it causes some issues if it is enabled as it tries to switch the relay servers constantly causing the disconnections you were experiencing, just keep this option disabled and you shouldn’t have any issue,

3 Likes

I actually tried to disable this before and it didn’t seem like it fixed the issue; though I didn’t test extensively at the time, I just set the network back from manual to automatic.

If I get chance I’ll dive back in and test/check again fully.

1 Like

My VeraSecure controller is offline, and it is not recovering. I am a pretty good tech, an EE, not a programmer and I have been hoping that the VeraSecure system I installed would be stable and “plug and play”, but I’ve been struggling with reliability and operational quirks from day 1. Now my controller is offline, which is inconvenient to say the least, since it is about 1200 miles away in our rental property. Based on this thread, this is a memory related problem. Has anyone put together a nice solid “how to” improve reliability or even a maintenance thread (e.g. flush memory when you see “x” and here is how you do it)? Something that is totally step-by-step? My goal was to install the hardware…and remotely monitor and control my property as needed. I’ve spent most of my time trying to “guess” what the hardware will do, trouble shooting camera connectivity, videos not being uploaded, alarms going off when you don’t want them, etc. I’m ready to pay for an experienced tech to get my installed system operating reliably with external HDs, USB drives, create LUUP code to prevent memory space over-runs, dumping video to a cloud location, etc. At this point, I don’t even know where to start. Any links to a nice “how to” for any of these issues would be warmly received.

Hey there, I’m so sorry to hear about this. A good place to start is with our tech team which should get back to you ASAP if you contact them. Use the “Need help” button up top or email them at support@getvera.com

I hope this helps.

A few years ago, this offline issue was resolved for me by clearing space as identified in this thread. Then the problem returned and wasn’t related to space or memory, but this damn “failsafe tunnels” setting.

I don’t remember why or when I enabled this setting but this was the reason for my controller constantly flipping offline as identified by Vera Support.

However, I could not login to the controller via the dashboard UI remotely to change the setting. I could SSH to the controller via Home Assistant or VPN and was able to find the file to change the setting.

/etc/cmh/cmh.conf → FailsafeTunnels=0

The controller picked up this change automatically within a minute or so. No need to restart it manually. So far, rock solid stable connection.