Controller Down / Controller Up Messages

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the VeraEdge and my system, but I’m troubled by the Controller Down messages that pop up from time to time, with extended outages before a Controller Up Notification and Email reports that all is well again. I’ve had three of them in the last month, lasting between 2 and 15 hours in duration.

I can’t tell the source or description of the outages, and I don’t see anyone reporting any network problems that would help to explain them. With that lack of reporting by others, I have to be concerned that perhaps the problem is localized to my system, but I have to first throw out the question - Is anyone else experiencing these kinds of outages?

1 Like

The are quite a few threads on this topic, many going back years. Various reasons have been given, including false notifications triggered by Vera switching the relay servers. If you can reach your unit on your LAN via its IP address, and everything is working, then it would only be an issue if you are away from home and trying to access your Vera.

Since you indicate that some outages last many hours, I would suggest filing a trouble ticket.

[quote=“HSD99, post:2, topic:200506”]The are quite a few threads on this topic, many going back years. Various reasons have been given, including false notifications triggered by Vera switching the relay servers. If you can reach your unit on your LAN via its IP address, and everything is working, then it would only be an issue if you are away from home and trying to access your Vera.

Since you indicate that some outages last many hours, I would suggest filing a trouble ticket.[/quote]

Thanks HSD99
In most cases, the disconnect has been between the network and the device, and I am still able to connect via the local IP. I hadn’t seen any recent threads on it, so I was hoping that maybe the network problem/s had been resolved, but I guess not, and I am probably not the only one still experiencing them.

I’ve never actually had a controller down notice that meant the controller was down…

C

[quote=“Catman, post:4, topic:200506”]I’ve never actually had a controller down notice that meant the controller was down…

C[/quote]

I would agree, assuming that you are considering Controller Down defined as not accessible from the LAN via the local IP, but I have experienced outages where it was not available via the Internet, consistent with the Controller Down & Up Notifications & emails.

[quote=“vicw, post:5, topic:200506”][quote=“Catman, post:4, topic:200506”]I’ve never actually had a controller down notice that meant the controller was down…

C[/quote]

I would agree, assuming that you are considering Controller Down defined as not accessible from the LAN via the local IP, but I have experienced outages where it was not available via the Internet, consistent with the Controller Down & Up Notifications & emails.[/quote]

Each to their own :slight_smile: I’ve not checked every time, but every time I have checked, it was fine, and fully accessible from the internet. Which is what I’d expect, frankly, given the stability of the connection to my mailserver which lives on the same LAN.

Now, of course, if the alert was actually parsed: “For some reason best know to us the relay servers are currently unable to connect to our monitoring / alerting solution” I’d probably treat them more seriously.

In actuality I only started with notifications on them since I figured it was a quick and easy way to monitor the connectivity of my LAN to the Internet. I was wrong.

C

1 Like

I shut those notifications down years ago since they didn’t seem to mean much, and were annoying. If you can login to your Vera via the Internet portal (even if if you have a “controller down” notification) then your Vera is obviously online.

Most of the time they are false indications on mine, too. Funny, I just got another one while reading your post. This one was bogus. I might want to shut them down on mine, too, but I don’t want the occasional real ones go undetected.

Hello vicw,

Please note we have created a trouble ticket for you, so when you have time could you please reply.

Thank you and Have a nice day