Control Z-wave devices via command line from HTPC ?

Hello

Is it possible using a Vera gateway to control Z-wave devices and run macro’s via command line from a PC ?
I’m currently using mControl on a WHS server and a Windows 7 HTPC. Using this method… (Can’t post external links in this forum??) Please do a Google search for “media center blog mcontrol command line” and select the first result.

Using this method I am able to run .cmd files on the HTPC and they use wGet to send Soap commands to the mControl home automation HTTP server.

This has allowed me to do all sorts of things with the HTPC, like program my regular Logitech Harmony Universal Remote control used with the HTPC, to add custom buttons on to the remote control display to turn on / off / dim the lights in the room. It also means I can use voice commands with the Amulet Voice remote control (Or XBOX 360 Kinect) to control lights and other things like the fireplace.

Wanting to switch to Vera but would still like the ability to control Z-wave devices via command line from a Windows PC.

Thanks

Yeah, Vera has an interface for controlling it with scripting tools. It’s HTTP too so you probably don’t have much to change.

Edit: link: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Requests

Thanks for the reply, sounds promising, does anyone have any links to more information?

What’s with this forum? Can’t post external links and need to do a maths test everytime to post…

Can’t see any forum settings to setup email alerts?

The capchas will dry up after you’ve done a couple of dozen posts, and you will also be able to PM and post links.

Search the forum for “http” for several examples. Also look at the link to the wiki that I snuck into my earlier reply while you weren’t looking.

Thanks I just saw the Wiki page you linked too. I haven’t purchased my Vera yet but just checking out I won’t lose any functionality if I move away from mControl. Would probably like to keep mControl with the Aeon Labs Z-Stick as a secondary controller and have Vera as the primary. So I can keep the very nice mControl Windows Media Center integration.

I take it there are no Vera add-ins for Windows Media Center or XBMC? Currently in WMC I can go to the mControl add-in and see all my zones / rooms control any device, I can also view my Foscom outoor IP cam and run any activities / macros all from WMC and the TV screen!

Thinking of getting a VeraLite to save some cash don’t think I need the full blown Vera3 ?

Happy to help you to legitimately post lots of replies and get out of Newbie status. :slight_smile:

Mine’s a Vera Lite and I have never been troubled by the smaller RAM size. So if you don’t need the wireless, it’s a no-brainer.

XBMC gets mentioned a lot but I admit I don’t read those posts closely. I think it’s mostly talk about controlling XBMC, not an XBMC plugin. Search the forum and see. WMC, not so much.

[quote=“cw-kid, post:5, topic:172053”]Thanks I just saw the Wiki page you linked too. I haven’t purchased my Vera yet but just checking out I won’t lose any functionality if I move away from mControl. Would probably like to keep mControl with the Aeon Labs Z-Stick as a secondary controller and have Vera as the primary. So I can keep the very nice mControl Windows Media Center integration.

I take it there are no Vera add-ins for Windows Media Center or XBMC? Currently in WMC I can go to the mControl add-in and see all my zones / rooms control any device, I can also view my Foscom outoor IP cam and run any activities / macros all from WMC and the TV screen!

Thinking of getting a VeraLite to save some cash don’t think I need the full blown Vera3 ?[/quote]

Hi Stuart. PowerControllerMCE can control Vera systems from Windows Media Center;

http://www.milliesoft.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=21

Martin

When you say if I don’t need wireless what does that mean in the context of VeraLite ?

I plan to keep my current ISP router / WIFI box. The full Vera3 can be used as a router in its own right that correct?

I would like to use the Vera iOS apps wirelessly etc.

If using Vera on an iPad for example, then I could see that being able to control XBMC or WMC from the Vera app UI via TCP would be a good thing.

Also to have the ability to control Z-wave devices from the XBMC or WMC screen on the TV via your regular remote control would be good. Sounds like the first is possible but not the second if there are no add-ins for XBMC or WMC.

Thanks

Hi Martin

Hows it going, I forgot about your WMC add-in, so I can use PowerController MCE to have a similar thing in WMC as I have now with mControl. Looks like I will be using your add-in again then and pestering your for things…

Command line control as I described on my blog with mControl, is still needed though even if using PowerController MCE UI. To be able to initiate device control / run macros from the universal remote controls. Sounds like this is possible using wGET.

Long term I plan to migrate to XBMC away from WMC.

[quote=“cw-kid, post:8, topic:172053”]When you say if I don’t need wireless what does that mean in the context of VeraLite ?
I plan to keep my current ISP router / WIFI box. The full Vera3 can be used as a router in its own right that correct?
I would like to use the Vera iOS apps wirelessly etc.[/quote]

I mean that if you can physically locate the Vera Lite near your existing wired network then you can connect it via an Ethernet cable to your router, and you have all the functionality that you want. Your iOS apps will be able to talk to the Vera over the existing Wi-Fi network. (This is assuming that your Wi-Fi and wired networks are bridged together inside the router, which is normally how it is.)

Vera3 is in my opinion only a so-so router. I say this not from experience but from an evaluation of its published specs. Better to use a dedicated router and a Vera Lite, IMO.

As futzle explained, if you do not need to router functionality and the wireless, Vera Lite is very capable and also cheaper.

• Garrett

[quote=“futzle, post:10, topic:172053”][quote=“cw-kid, post:8, topic:172053”]When you say if I don’t need wireless what does that mean in the context of VeraLite ?
I would like to use the Vera iOS apps wirelessly etc.[/quote]

I mean that if you can physically locate the Vera Lite near your existing wired network then you can connect it via an Ethernet cable to your router, and you have all the functionality that you want. Your iOS apps will be able to talk to the Vera over the existing Wi-Fi network. (This is assuming that your Wi-Fi and wired networks are bridged together inside the router, which is normally how it is.)

Vera3 is in my opinion only a so-so router. I say this not from experience but from an evaluation of its published specs. Better to use a dedicated router and a Vera Lite, IMO.[/quote]

Excellent thanks, that’s how I thought it would work, I have a CAT5e network through out the house with central patch panel, can connect the VeraLite in to the Gigabit switch in the cupboard where all the networking kit is.

This is turning out to be a newbie with lots of questions thread but…

I have a Foscam FI8905W outdoor IP camera and plan to buy a new Foscam FI8910W I assume I can easily get these cameras working within the Vera UI and mobile apps?

I also wanted to purchase an Everspring Z-wave doorbell set but from what I have read on this forum it does not currently work with Vera, hope they get it sorted soon. I was playing around with mControl and a Doorbell trigger macro, would like to be able to do something similar with Vera eventually.

Most of my other Z-wave kit is ACT HomePro / Aeon Labs / Duwi.

Cheers

There is a huge thread on the foscam cameras. Most if not all of them will work. There is a plugin that MCVFlorin made that should help with getting them setup. I have several Foscam FI8918 cameras in my home and they have worked great with vera and via 3rd party apps (including my own).

• Garrett

EventGhost has a Vera plugin that can interface with WMC and XBMC too. Might be worth checking out.

Hi CW-Kid, (and martin - still loving your work daily, and futzel - i am starting to see the same players across all forums great to see the discushions.)

a quick post:

doorbell: still ongoing - a new ever growing thread has be started - bell now works - expecting update from evespring on push button in 48 hours.

To execture .exe from vera i used MCEControler. Strangely kindly provided me a link when i was doing some RFID stuff:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9205.msg62848.html#msg62848

it will allow you to create a scene that sends a command via URLI / URLE to say switch a virtual switch in mcontrol. you can then have a macro in mcontrol that monitors the virtual switch status. this then triggers you http request or .exe i do my http requests via a compiled .exe using autoit

hope this helsp CW-Kid, you have my email and contact detaisl so if you want to talk anything through feel free to give me a buzz - will be happy to return the fasvour :slight_smile:

no doub an ideal soloution would be for mcontrol and vera to be able to both talk to virtual switches thus not needing MCEcontroller (or an actula switch) but presentl;y buth have the ability to add virtual switches but they cant talk to one anouther yet - unless a dev here wants to have a go :wink:

p.s appolagies about my bad spelling posts - i just hammer them out ;D

OK I’ve started to try this now creating new Windows .cmd files with HTTP requests in them to send to Vera.

I have been able to get two .cmd files working one to turn off a device and one to turn it on.

Now trying to create a new .cmd file to run a scene but the HTTP string is not correct,

please see here

Have you had any problems with the outdoor Foscam when it gets cold outside?

Not had any problems with my Foscam outside when its cold no. But it is an outdoor camera model. However I plan to put one of those indoor PTZ Foscams outside at the front door under the porch over hang. I’ve heard of people in Canada using them out doors in Winter with no problems.

I just upgraded mControl on my WHS server from V2.1 to V3. Version 3 now works properly with VeraLite using the Vera Luup Driver in the mControl Professional Module.

I can now setup mControl to control devices and run scenes that are in VeraLite via Windows Media Center on the TV’s in the house using the mControl MCE add-in.

More screen shots can be seen on this link here

I also figured out the Vera HTTP command lines and have programmed my Logitech Harmony universal remote control in conjunction with AutoHotKey on the HTPC. So at the press of a custom button on the Harmony it can control devices and run scenes in VeraLite.

Making Windows Media Center and the TV’s (and Harmony remote controls) the heart of VeraLite Home Automation control

Also using the excellent Authomation android app on our Samung Galaxy tab 2 10.1 and the Extundo Apps eControl on the iPod Touch.

Now if only I could do this in XBMC ??? I would seriously look at migrating away from MCE to XBMC