Confusion reguarding Vera Edge Set-up

The Vera Edge needs to be plugged into your WiFi, which I understand. It also needs to be plugged into power, which I also understand. Now, it is my understanding that in most cases the controller needs to be within 3 feet in order to add or exclude a device.

It is my understanding that this means that you have to bring a lock to the unit in order to exclude and then add it. Awkward, to say the least but at least I understand what you have to do and it is feasible although, not easy to accomplish.

On the other hand, how do you add a wired z-wave outlet, wall switch or dimmer? The only solution I see is a very long Ethernet cable. Is that true? This seems very non-logical. In short how do you exclude and add devices to the Edge?

I am looking for a stable platform for normal simple actions but the programing seems very difficult to accomplish.

Thoughts,

Scot

[quote=“scotstern, post:1, topic:187552”]The Vera Edge needs to be plugged into your WiFi, which I understand. It also needs to be plugged into power, which I also understand. Now, it is my understanding that in most cases the controller needs to be within 3 feet in order to add or exclude a device.[/quote]The reality is that most “legacy” Z-Wave devices can be included from much greater distances, perhaps as great as 20-30 feet. However, there are some exceptions and you certainly won’t encounter failed attempts when including at three feet.

New Z-Wave devices, with the 500 series Z-Wave chip(Gen5), have a feature called Network Wide Inclusion(NWI) that permits inclusion from anywhere within the existing Z-Wave network’s range.

It is my understanding that this means that you have to bring a lock to the unit in order to exclude and then add it. Awkward, to say the least but at least I understand what you have to do and it is feasible although, not easy to accomplish.
No. Locks should be installed in the door. If Vera can't include it from a distance, then Vera should be moved close to the lock for inclusion.

It is always best to include the Z-Wave device after it has been installed in its final location. This way it can see the surrounding neighbor devices and the Z-Wave nodes can “understand” the network’s layout. There are reasons for moving the device to Vera. Theses are usually for testing or troubleshooting purposes. Final installation should be included in situ.

On the other hand, how do you add a wired z-wave outlet, wall switch or dimmer? The only solution I see is a very long Ethernet cable.
While this is a common and straightforward way of doing it, there are another methods for performing Z-Wave network include operations..

If you look at the manual, or this Vera Edge Training Getting Started Video, you’ll see that there is a pairing button on the side of the edge. You can plug the Edge in to power, close to the Z-Wave device, press the pairing/sync button and pair your device. This method isn’t as intuitive as some people need and some people struggle with it. That’s why the long ethernet cable method is so often mentioned. Being able to see Vera’s activities on the screen during the pairing process make the ethernet cable simpler for them.

But, there’s also a third option for pairing with the Vera Edge… The Vera Edge can serve as a WiFi access point. When configured as such(the default) you can connect a client(tablet or PC) to the Vera WiFi network(different than your home WiFi network). You can then move Vera close to the Z-Wave device, plug in the power, and use the WiFi client(tablet or PC) to complete the include process.

Great answer. I know that the questions were rather basic but your answers provided clarity and direction. Thanks soooooooo much and I am sure that this will help others. Again thanks…

I have yet to have to move any of my devices anywhere near Vera to include them. All my devices are added from the location that they will reside. This included my switches, garage door opener, front door lock, Z-Wave AC vents, motion sensors etc. In total I have close to 40 z-wave devices and no issues pairing or using any of them.

Hope that helps.